Sunday, July 27, 2014

[385] The Thin Red Pill

When is the appropriate time?

When I share a video of Vietnam veterans explaining the atrocities of war, I suppose first, it's because I think it's important to keep in mind. We don't convene war councils on when to discuss such things, so in the middle of your busy day, haphazardly scrolling through your phone, crushing candy or liking some article on the wisdom of not beating your children, I offer an opportunity to hear about a Vietnamese woman cut from vagina to chest to then have her guts ripped out.

If that's not so much your style, perhaps your ears are killing you, the day before I offer you a chance to, I guess feel sympathy, for the violent and perpetual rape of inmates in a massive industrial prison complex. You can skip down the road of contemplation about the disenfranchisement of black people, and sharpen your definition of “modern slavery.” We're certainly going to dig up information on advocacy groups and you're gonna love the art supplies I got for our pretty protest signs.

I think you can hear about many things, but that doesn't mean you're thinking about them. Israel and Gaza are blowing up the news charts. I'm still seeing very little discussion as to what and when something constitutes a war crime, why that term should even exist, or of whom and how we could hold someone accountable for committing one. It's just a term, at this point. It might as well exist in a history book list of definitions lost behind a desk.

When are we supposed to suffer our humanity? When do we interrupt our day to reflect on how little or large we can contribute to change? I characterize myself as something of a Debbie Downer because I don't know anyone else who is. I think it's important to be one. I think it's more important than offering excuses about why people don't want to think or strum the refrain about their proclivity towards laziness and fear.

Sometimes the comments section under an article is the most horrifying thing you can find. More often though, the people with a tolerant or modest outlook get the most support or likes...right behind the guy with the smart-ass comment. I use these as a kind of short hand to account for the amount of people who are wise enough in their perspective to know how things ought to be, even if they don't ever talk or act. I think most people who report on failings of humanity aren't sharing their work so we can have models for how to make those mistakes bigger later. They're appealing to a kind of cultural understanding. I just don't know enough people trying to speak to it as well. I don't know of people really trying to do anything besides becoming personally satisfied.

My understanding is that there will always be horrible things happening. I know of no greater enabler of those things happening than the sin of omission. Forgetting, ignoring, and pretending are the bedrock of atrocity. Insistence on thrusting “bad things” at people seems absolutely necessary in making them less bad or no-longer-bad things. You have to feel it. You have to feel bad. You have to feel responsible. You have to feel like your time is running out. You have to pretend it's your friend getting gutted. You have stew alongside the body parts of blown up children. Or, I'm just the guy with all those articles and videos you ignore.

No comments:

Post a Comment