Tuesday, July 2, 2013

[346] Chip Off The Old Block

I need to feel better about leaving for a week. I think I'll get there by the end.

So much of myself seems to exist in contradiction. I'm dead inside, then I'm overly elated with a trend or mood. I'm the nicest guy who even blacked out says sweet endearing things, then I'm the meanest person I know. The confusing part is that they all feel as “real” or as “me” equally. There never feels like an appropriate place to be one over the other, I just sort of take it in stride and come up with probably too many words to justify.

It's extremely hard to be vulnerable, for example. However you conceive of vulnerability, I guess. It's one thing to wear an aspect of your life on your sleeve, entirely another when you feel like someone you respect or care about is checking out your style. The tension of trying to figure out if your personalities are “compatible” can be palpable. It's been an investment in your sense of self, after all. To what degree should this person be allowed to tinker with it?

One of my biggest issues is that I genuinely don't like hope. I've been reminded that I've made such a sentiment in the past, but it feels louder at the moment. I don't want to believe people like me. I don't want to look too forward into hanging out or getting into a good conversation. And it's not like it's because “things won't live up to the dream” type of bullshit. It's just that it inevitably seems to change for spectacularly bad reasons.

That's where you learn detachment. That's how you forget best friends. It's why I feel myself ever compelled toward perfect moments or vibes and similar personalities, and have practically zero patience for those not on board. It almost feels like you've stolen something when it goes right. Like you're caught up in something so infinitely fleeting, trying to call it “special” feels cheap. And if/when you can create those moments, you've maybe done something that matters.

I find it damn near impossible to keep at it in the world as it stands. So I need to create my own and send out invitations. It'll presumably be easier to do that “losing” 6 days now.