Sunday, June 30, 2013

[344] Fork Me Running

Sometimes I think people can only count to one. As if every moment exists in a vacuum. It's one thing to know nothing about history in general and stumble through to the future. It's entirely another to ignore the fingers on your own hands.

One thing I'm perpetually confused about is when someone tells me “I don't believe that” when I say something true. More so, when I qualify it and say “which has been my experience thus far” or “what I've consistently heard across any number of instances.” My thought is that they don't believe me because they think I'm trying to sell them something they think can be obtained for free. Surely, there are as many ways to happiness or contentment as there are people, but it doesn't make what seems to make sense, most of the time, any less true. Not what you remember most, not what “feels the most,” just what adds up to the most.

Like, the easiest example I could talk about would be my crazy ass mother. There's a distinctive way that I go about “handling” her that my brother doesn't. After years of not talking, actively degrading her, and finally provoking a restraining order, I no longer have the stress and drama of dealing with my mother. It's 100/1 easy negative to positive things I could say or reflect upon thinking about her. Please save cliches about “but it's your mother!” for someone who's planning to blame their children for existing.

My brother is different. He kept going back for Christmas. He kept calling her and letting her into his life. He tried to stay with her when he had an internship in Indy. Throughout it all, he's lost money, been actively degraded and judged, come back time and time again to what seems like the brink of disassociating. He's, in my view, arguably causing more harm than good because he can't count.

Now what if we counted all the bad feelings, of everyone everywhere, who've done something we're about to do? There might even be statistics on the matter! Exciting. The idea isn't that you should live your life according what seems likely, but perhaps better appreciate why the numbers look the way they do. I have nothing to gain in trying to persuade you of anything you hold so dear, but the chance to converse more eloquently. My argument centers on honesty, very little stress, and an arguably more positive thought pattern. Where's the kick to regard these as terribly wrong guidelines come from? Cliches should make you stop and think, not bust out the polish for a comfort zone bubble.

What if we counted and listed and categorized everyone we knew? Pro tip, I'd argue that we already do, facebook just doesn't have enough data for a pretty algorithm. But what if it was more concrete, like a scoring system on a big white board that everyone you interacted with could check in with daily to see how they rank in your life. How much of your dialogue would you have to change to accurately reflect what someone means to your life? How many pleasantries and excuses and abuses could you no longer pursue? What if the best people, with the best advice, netted you cash? What if your life depended on them?

It's the devilish details. It's not “3 years” it's 1 month of nothing but crying, 2 months of arguing. 3 weeks of “pleasant” talks,  400 hours of excuses and very reasonable doubts if you ran them end to end. Or maybe it's a handful of wonderful nights, many months of “well-enough,” and 3 years of pseudo safety because no one feels like risking their relationship with you over criticizing. Because at that point, you're “just being mean” right? Or jealous maybe. You certainly wouldn't understand, I can tell you that much.

1 time has a close friend violated trust against hundreds of act of utility over years. Potentially violent Nick P. came very close to throwing that away until I let the numbers speak. 99% of conversations I have with Kristen aren't louder than a TV show perhaps running in the background, and the other 1% she's probably at the other end of a Frisbee field. I could count on one hand how many times we “argue.” The number of times I make people laugh instead of cry helps dictate how often jokes get made. The number of shitty, or absences, of thoughts verses smiles helps filter facebook friends and me to forget to send out a text or invite.

People are good for you for different things at different times, in deeply personal ways, and for ever evolving reasons. Just let them be that person. Don't reduce to a label or something laboriously physical. If it's supposed to go there, why does it feel like you're forcing it?

I make pains to not point too sharp a finger so when I slip I don't cut myself and bleed out. But being passive aggressive here is different than the kind of screwball dream worlds we help maintain around people we claim to care about. That doesn't mean come in like a wrecking ball, but you shouldn't offer to cradle the balls of the dick forced into your mouth.