Sunday, April 1, 2018

[706] Funny Man

I'm in the middle of part one of The Zen Diaries of Garry Shandling. Recurring themes in a lot of people I admire who become successful show up in Garry. Fundamentally, do the work. If you want to be a joke writer, keep writing jokes. If you don't quite know how to perform, keep performing. Do the small gigs and the even smaller. Take notes on what works and what doesn't. Let the joke evolve with substituted words or phrasing. Ask questions and keep seeking the answers.

What's immediately apparent is that Shandling had very familiar patterns of doubt and anxiety about how to discover who he was. Plenty of people who attempt comedy can have a number of issues and questions they're trying to work through. The therapeutic release of laughter or sense of solidarity with other comics is a broad tent under which to find yourself. Maybe you'd rather write for a show than perform. Maybe you're a comic's comic. Comedy is a vehicle, and you decide how to drive it.

Whether you want to call it a tireless work ethic or the result of crippling anxiety, the desire to always be doing “something” or working in some direction that speaks to my goals and ideals is very real. It's a big reason I've never bothered to try anything in comedy beyond joking in my personal life despite the huge admiration I have for so many funny voices. I like to take things I respect seriously, and it's very easy to pretend that merely engaging signifies meaningful interaction. I think this is different too from those who claim to be “perfectionists” as a crutch for procrastinating. “If you can't do it right, don't do it at all,” is no excuse not to practice, or chip away at a book, or bother trying because you're scared.

That's something I realized was never really my problem. I'm not scared of things. At least, whatever fears I experience don't seem to mean the same things for me as they do other people. I get anxious, you get an impossibly annoying blog to read. I fear my potential more than anything I've necessarily done. It's Spider-Man. With great power comes great responsibility. While I seem to exercise my power in ways I suspect many find disappointing, the consequences of it are no less real.

Shandling's notes and mentoring had me thinking about my #yearofeveryday that I suspended after 15 days. Finding a pocket that both allows you to feel happy or making progress on something isn't easy. I certainly enjoy things like watching TV and movies or learning new things on my instruments. I like reading. And yes, to an extent, they are an end in and of themselves. They provide the narrative backdrop and structure for how I relate to the world. It's a Shandling documentary that inspired this. It's random interviews or lines from a book that inspire many more. When I'm paying attention or finding meaning in my “hobbies,” they retain a chance of becoming a sort of timeless expression of who I am or would like to be.

This makes me want to say what I like about who I want to be. At one level, I like saying I've probably seen more media that Roger Ebert did before he died. I think it's cool that something so mundane seems to have a kind of snark-significance. Does it matter? Well, to me, yeah a little. It signifies that I do things “a lot” or maybe “too much” and “exhaustively.” It's an indicator that if we're going to start comparing notes or you're gonna set me on a track for conversation, don't fake it. Do I ever truly feel that satisfied with what I've seen so far? Of course not, there's still, theoretically, many more years of my life with many more things to watch. It's not about the number, it's about the potential meaning of any one piece at any time.

I think this kind of perspective applies to everything. I don't have a favorite comedian or favorite joke. I never find myself comparing the pain in my gut or chest from times that I've laughed incredibly hard. It's great every time. Every time I get full, it's the best time. Every time you have sex, you should be able to enjoy yourself. It speaks to my compulsion to fight feelings of jealousy and continued advocacy for open relationships. My perspective on any one person doesn't really compare. I can claim a favorite movie or food, but the responsibility lies with me to understand and respect where they do or don't relate to my life at any given moment. If I had a stomach condition that said I couldn't eat cheeseburgers anymore, or never saw Waking Life again, the concept of “favorite” exists outside of access.

Maybe that point right there is key. My favorite self I seem unable to access. Or at least, I don't allow myself to see my current circumstances as an expression of my favorite self. There's an aspect or several missing from the daily pattern and work I think would speak best towards me. I'm coasting. I'm comfortable-ish. That's when you lose your edge and really any sense of self, let alone your favorite one. Shandling got hit by a car and had an out of body experience. Something asked him, “Didn't you remember we just lent you this body? Do you want to continue living the life of Garry Shandling?” I don't recall the paperwork for renting my body, but if I want to bother to continue living, it's extremely easy to see the future I think I can inhabit that creates the basis for wanting to do so.

What I like about me, I don't sense from the world at large. Of course, most people working at comedy or their day job don't generate hundreds or thousands of notes and pages about how to do it better. Most don't fall asleep being chased by everything they're not doing well-enough. Surely, we know many people are prescribed pills for their anxiety or depression, brought on by financial woes or generalized terrible interpersonal relationships, but the burden is externalized. Even if I can't seem to figure out what I should be doing every day, you're not to blame because I can't enjoy the pace of progression or relative stability.

My sense of self is difficult insofar as that it is illusive. It's as here and gone as the next funniest joke you've ever heard. It's nailing The Tonight Show, and the panic attack about what comes after. It's making the money to “fix” something, and then trembling and exclaiming, “One more!” like Schindler with a pin in hand. It's the peaks and valleys of blogs. It's a measure of obscenity or darkness provoked on hangover days. It's a longing that will never be satiated by someone who cares to “get it” as long as I'm giving. My sense of self has fun in the changing and pushing and fighting. If you can't change yourself, the anxiety kicks in. If you can't fight someone, you beat yourself up. If you run out of buttons to push, you edge your boundaries right up to and maybe over the line of what you'd want to say or have said about you.

That I'm still alive means I'm willing to keep looking. There are bits of me in this documentary. There's bits of me in different people and projects and justifications for starting some new initiative. I'm all over the place, figuratively and literally. While my body is alone, screaming into the darkness of Craiglist and via blogs, my “self” is germinating in protesters and investigative reporters and well-intentioned megalomaniacs who still find a measure of guilt in their personality disorder. As long as I can continue to change, it can be for better or worse. The work of deciding what constitutes either one is never done. I don't think you have to love it, but I don't understand being alive if you're unwilling to do the work that comes with being who you are.