Friday, May 30, 2008

[95] Unnecessary Baggage

Friday, May 30, 2008 at 5:35am

After getting done reading this article (no longer available), I’m sitting in awe wondering why people would take on the baggage entailed with the Christian title. Let’s take something like nationality first. My family is partly Serbian and therefore whenever something happens in what used to be Yugoslavia, my dad and uncles are compelled to talk up the Serbs and explain all the history behind the conflict and ultimately rationalize why our heritage is on the “right” side. Now it only takes a few news articles and common sense to tell you that anybody in a war time situation who pulled off shit the Serbs have done, would be considered assholes and counterproductive. Does this mean that everybody who’s Serbian now is violent or perpetuating conflict…of course not. Here’s the problem though. I can listen to a story from my family and still say “well ya, but the Serbs shouldn’t have done such and such” and at the very least acknowledge the situation for what it is. I guess I’m a “moderate Serb” because I’ll go to church functions every now and then for the food, but the whole understanding the culture or speaking the language….never really got through to me. Now in some sense the whole notion of guilty by association still exists, even though it would appear that I am so far removed from that situation it shouldn’t apply. No, nobody is going to alienate themselves from me or ignore the giant elephant in the room that is my “Serb violence problem” but if there’s a joke to be made or a conversation to start, I’m at least marginally expected to have a few contributing lines if I’m asserting just how Serbian I in fact am. (This is why I usually remain silent when I encounter someone who I know is Serbian.) Now I can’t abandon where I came from, and don’t want to, but on the other hand I do not have to jump into any and every situation that would emphasize that part of me. I believe Christians should follow in that groove.

Do you Christians ever think about all the baggage you claim when “your people” perpetuate some of the dumbest initiatives to plague the planet since the Dark Ages? Like I stated above, in the obvious sense you are not responsible for all the negative that comes from your religion, but in a more important sense there is something you are responsible for. You are responsible for flying the colors and perpetuating the name, and yet you seemingly ignore that your spreading more than some loving message. Christian takes on countless connotations, which for me, is enough to hate labels and always inquire as to what the personal is
actually talking about. How can you where the name proudly when millions of people who would cheer just as loud would deny evolution and persecute homos? Why allow someone to barrage you with jokes about gay preachers and zombie like adherence to indoctrination? Some of the common responses I get are “We Christian’s are used to being persecuted for our views, we can handle it” or “We can’t help that others believe differently than us, the devil works in mysterious ways, and besides those people aren’t me personally.” You know the same “me” that is always going to be right and conspicuously shows up in every religion. All of that crap completely misses the point. As if I need two forms of ID to understand your not a pedophile priest, you try to wash away all the real issues that are trying to be discussed for the sake of saving your own skin. Quite selfish. Is this not what we see time and time again though? How many note comments have I gotten starting out with some spiel about the devil, how terrible humanity is, why Jesus is so loving etc. and no one saying “Wow, millions of Christians trying to hinder education with creationism, maybe I should read, learn, or say something about that.” I don’t understand why people should have to be spoon fed the correct ways to think or react to a situation like that. “Hey, another kid got a little more than he bargained for as altar boy? Maybe I should write a letter asking for better background checks or rally to allow these guys to get married.” My little contribution of speaking out the silliness of all religion is what I consider contributing to my part, but come on, you people act like there’s you, and them, from which they can endlessly be thought of as lost and crazy, and you’ll just sit back incubating in your faith. If you want to associate, then feel the blunt of that association.

This girl I went to high school decided in her salutation to say “good night and god bless” to which I inquired “which god.” Her response, “The one that created everything.” It was a foregone conclusion that 1. A god existed 2. It blessed people 3. Has the ability to create and 4. Indeed created what we perceive as everything. Nitpicky? Or maybe a god can’t stand under the scrutiny. What actually bothered me more was her knowing my views, and just blatantly ignoring them for the sake of her being able to get the sentence out. I don’t know, after reading the article I just feel like when your only goaded on by your inner circle who are just as reluctant to forego their beliefs or ask difficult questions as you, it’s time to get a second opinion. I wish I had someone as anxious as I am to just copy one of my blogs and go through point by point why they think I sound ridiculous. Then at least I’d have an opportunity defend and discuss instead of just assert like I’m some authority. Read the article about how easy it is, even for someone who is dying on the inside of intellectual rage, to be swept along with the motions and understand what it’s like to question whether the outside Christian shell or the inside outrage is really them at that moment. I don’t care how long and hard that shell has been fought for, your head needs to exist outside of it. The many atheists and atheist comments I encounter are people referencing books and articles where people can learn more, comments about the plight of humanity and organized email floods of protest to people threatening intellectual sanctity. And as someone put it, organizing atheists is a bit like herding cats, yet their common concern for humanity is what motivates them. It doesn’t take fairy tales about demon beasts and flying men to make them care. Is it some form of jealously perhaps? These godless heathens are so smart and sincere, and all for something you can’t feel and understand? This I certainly hope is not the case because it’s too stupid and too easily fixable. It isn’t portending to be intellectual or gleeful in sin that makes them different than you. What makes them different and more significant to me is their passion. Me, having all but forgone hope for our extended existence, can experience things from these people I’ve never felt in the presence of the faithful. I can’t help but think that the faithful were always missing a certain pride or sincerity because, by their own admittance, it’s all for and from Jesus.

So what atheist baggage is there to take on? None. I get to take on the free and clear position of just being an person with opinions because atheism isn’t a group or rule. I have my responsibility to people and nature, as we all do, but it will never be “Group of conservative atheists” headlining anything crazy in the headlines. This is not because the people in the news room understand the logical absurdity in the sentence either. This is simply because that is not how people who have a mind for critical analysis and endless questions behaves when faced with something they disagree with. There is no major stigma for caring or learning too much. This is what I’m trying to convey to the Christians when I refer to their baggage. If they simply stood for love, compassion, inquiry, doubt, and so on, we effectively remove every potential for bullshit like a creationism bill to move onto the Louisiana House floor. We never have to pretend like stem cells are crying babies and can’t be used to ease the suffering of the millions of people who can and do feel pain. We no longer have to indulge Dinesh D’Souza in debates to be attacked on grounds that pertain to absolutely nothing of which the event was formulated. We need to cut away the inculcated ideas lending praise to endless “respect” for people’s beliefs. Actively search out opportunities to be humbled in your ignorance and then you will find the opportunity to grow. Then you can see what it is you should know and how you should behave in order to expect respect. Getting dunked in a kiddy pool and pretending to drink blood does not bestow this upon you.

Ok well I’m hot and need to be up in three hours, peace.

Brian Morrow (Indiana State) wroteat 7:05pm on May 30th, 2008
ummmm, stem cells...

For real, I literally have to punch my chest to swallow, but I CAN'T make a fucking fist!! Hoiw fucked up is that!?

SCORE:
Nick & anti-Christian thought : 73 (how many notes have you written?)
Mainstream Christian belief : (maybe seven-ish or so?)
Report - Delete



Cara Zimmerman (Chicago, IL) wroteat 10:08pm on June 2nd, 2008
''I just feel like when your only goaded on by your inner circle who are just as reluctant to forego their beliefs or ask difficult questions as you, it’s time to get a second opinion.''
i definitely agree with that statement. people always seem to run from opposition to their religion or whatever. but i think, if someone seriously and honestly believes something, why should they be afriad of people arguing with them or asking something they don't know? then they can investigate and see if their beliefs hold up to reality.
and i wouldn't consider christianity a ''rule'' and i don't feel like my life is hindered in any way because of my beliefs.
Report - Delete



Michele Elizabeth Zerbe wroteat 2:20pm on June 11th, 2008
im all for just letting it be, let people do what they want. everyone thinks theyre enlightened or know something grand that the persoon next to them does not. why keep score? is it really a competition? and i agree with cara. of course people who are outside a collection of beliefs are going to see whats "wrong" with it. and i agree with cara. but why isnt opinion enough? since when does everything have to be proved or given reason? if someone says they believe something but can and never would be able to prove its existence in the physical world, why be criticized for just believing in it out of faith? i am completely going off topic.
Report - Delete



Michele Elizabeth Zerbe wroteat 2:21pm on June 11th, 2008
like u told me, people are responsible for making themselves happy. that is such an excellent goal in life. if religion helps someone find happiness, even if was theoretically completely fake and made up and delusional and "wrong," if it makes them happy, whats the big deal? its their life and their choices. hostility just seems so counterproductive even though its constant in life in general. i guess thats the end. peoples lives are what they make of them.
Report - Delete



Nick P. wroteat 4:51pm on June 11th, 2008
The problem isn't "religion" making someone happy. The problem is believing something without evidence. When we allow people to take on views that they can't support or even barely explain without referencing gut feelings or faith, we allow them to act irrationally. Take racism. Someone says they hate niggers because niggers are black. Any objectively reasoned person will look at that logic and think of them as a retarded bigot. How does "God exists because god exists to me" sound then? People don't fight and waste time arguing about gay marriage, stem cells, and evolution without they're baseless religious impulses, and that cannot be accepted for the sake of their happiness. I will always be hostile to people attacking reason and scientific progress, not necessarily claiming a religion.
Delete



Michele Elizabeth Zerbe wroteat 5:08pm on June 11th, 2008
no big deal about not claiming religion, because thats u. i mean many many religions are based on a god or gods or concepts that require faith. that is the bottom line of many religions across the globe. lots of people love the concept of being able to feel something or believe in it without having to see it with our eyes or feel it with our hands, senses and other means that are limited by our human/physical bodies thats what makes some people happy is trying see beyond themselves and whatever existence we have. even the perhaps crazy notion of something else or something greater comforts them. thats their perogative.