Saturday, August 30, 2008

[59] The Questions Never Seem To End Do They?

I want to run an experiment. Take all the super geniuses in calculus and physics and put them into a fourth year creative writing course. Then take all the English people and stick them in music ensembles. All the music people can go into law and the law people can try their hands at the cutting edge math. I've had this theory for a long time that "learning" is only effective when you can apply it to your actual life. My thing for the past few years has been philosophy and religious stuff so no wonder when I read a book with complicated hypothesizes or difficult language I can still find a way to convey it to someone I'm discussing it with. In college you don't have a life. You have classes and a shitload of free time. You either spend that free time memorizing and beating in equations, or worse, pages of text, or you play rock band, watch movies, and drink.  Theoretically you can do both, but its privilege allotted to those really smart kids who just look at something and can recite it back with a complete understanding. In my opinion, I'm  not doing well in school because I'm lazy or stupid, but simply because I feel like a specific type of person left astray in a setting that doesn't facilitate my ability to learn. I mean I've wanted to get here my entire life because I saw through high school, I knew just how b/s 90% the crap I was doing truly was, and now I'm put right back in that setting only now it costs more. People like to talk about "one day" things will kick in and you'll find your place. This not only seems counterproductive but outright depressing. I like to believe that I'm living life right now and am capable of doing and saying great things that can influence the world around me. I'd like to think that applying a lot of common sense reasoning based from people smarter than myself and obvious cues from the current world's situation, should be allowed more than blank stares and people saying "ya…"

                If the system wasn't flawed they wouldn't have invented schools that specifically taught kids about things they liked from an early age. People wouldn't give talks about the question of whether or not schools kill creativity. The "funny" phrase concerning the business school wouldn't be you have to fail out to succeed. I'm just wondering what it is going to take for a new level of consciousness to invade our current level of thinking about our school systems. If I didn't have the time to bullshit and bitch about how much I hate my current situation to my friends, I would've snapped a while back.

                The absolute worst thing that anyone could've ever told me came from my uncle. My uncle mind you manages accounts for millionaires and works for high class companies. He said that he took all kinds of accounting courses through college, was even here for 5 years. In comes the real world and he's forgotten 90% of the material he went over. This isn't significant? There isn't a lot of time just kind of going nowhere in that scenario? College is more of a balancing act of trying to find the easiest GPA buffers to take alongside the classes that are supposed to prepare you for the real world. Can I really help the fact that I'm drawn towards something that isn't highly regarded as workable or practical? And this is under the assumption that those judgments holds true are correct. The reason I did well in school was because I was getting paid. That was my job, my life, I had to get A's to make money and feel pround. Who cared if I understood the material. It didn't matter if I would one day take my ability to speed through math problems and make something of myself. No, all I had to do was dick around in class, read enough to pass, erase my mind for next year and start anew.

                How many people am I letting down by not being the typical smart kid in college? What is that really reflecting to the world around me? I hate to think about what my family will think, but on the other hand I'm entirely apathetic about it if I'm not happy and feel like I have credible reasons for why things are turning out the way they are. In order to not sound like some arrogant immature asshole, I say prove me wrong. I'll play scientist and say here's my experiment, here's my results, run the test and tell me why I'm so misinformed. I read about human nature, I watch social interaction, I watch talks and movies on the questions of life, love, and truth. I know there are ways to exploit seemingly limitless potential from hundreds of sources scattered about our existence. So why am I wrong for being frustrated about doing the work and beating in the information when I'm all but certain it will not impact my life in the way that the money spent doing  it would? Why am I wrong when I know there are people out there who take their good ideas, surround themselves with good and productive people, and make absolute beautiful and meaningful contributions to life simply because they said, I'm doing what I want? There are such more important things that you can learn about people and life in an hour conversation with someone that you'll never get in a lecture hall over 8 weeks. Don't those matter more? It's the businessman's hours of school work and stress that get him his title and suit, but if he didn't have that swagger or understanding about persuasive speech, or personality to connect with the others with potential to help, what good is he? And this says nothing of all the rich people who perpetuate the dumbest acts like alcoholism, violence, or infidelity. 
 
                There is a key element in how we perceive, and cope with, the way we live our lives that goes totally unnoticed if you think you already have it, or don't concern yourself with how much it matters. That is simply the truth. The truth for me is completely different for you and the next person, but it still exists. When you ignore it, ideas like guilt, sadness,  fear, stress, and "sin" perpetuate your thoughts. The truth is that, yes, being in college can be a golden opportunity to get rich, make contacts, and take you places. In light of all that though, if you are not actually happy or actually have peace of mind, those reasons immediately and outright don't matter. Why do people drown themselves in self pity? How many loving families, millions of dollars, and opportunities are swept away in the name of some destructive decision? It seems like everyone's on some drug or prescribe to one or more mind inhibitors. Are they fun? Do they provide truth? These simple distractions from reality will only hinder the already backbreaking process of finding truth. In this college world I don't matter. I only matter to me and the people who can't help but to care about me. So how is focusing on anything else going to fill that gap?