Wednesday, August 20, 2008

[56] I Know Why I Hate School

I know why I hate school
You know when people say kids act out and fail in class when they aren't being challenged? I think that at this moment that statement is really sinking in for me.
I found myself doing my music theory homework. Writing dots. Calling them passing or neighbor tones. Identifying key signatures. Then I stopped and thought, After 19 years, 15 of them in school, I'm finally in college, I write all the time, read things I need a dictionary to get through, and can learn any sport or instrument you put in my hand, and now I'm writing dots for 5 points. This is why I hate homework. A new word needs to be invented because tedious and ridiculous have graduated.
Memorization is not a challenge. We memorize things for the sake of memorizing things because in the future that one memorized thing will be a stepping stone to memorize something "more important." I can't honestly say that anything I've faced in class has been necessarily hard or undoable, its just bullshit memorization. People think I overstep my bounds when I say I'm never going to need what I "learn" in calculus in my real world. They go on to explain every job that requires math. Let me make a distinction for these people. Given the millions of jobs that are out there and the millions more we're trying to prepare for that don't yet exist, yes, perhaps in one aspect or another of that job you will be required to apply some mathematical skill. At the same time there are just as many jobs that still exist who don't require you to know much past rudimentary level. This does not even mention that there isn't a job out there where you have a boss where training won't take place.
I want classes to make their lessons personal. Then I will see the point. Its one thing to teach the compound interest formula. You get to learn how money you don't have will increase infinitely in accounts you don't own or know how to look for. This is a problem for me. I'm finally surprised by my accounting class which actually is completely practical for anyone with a business or planning on one, and a plus to that we have a teacher who breaks things down so simply that you, so far at least, would have to try to not understand. If technology is increasing as quickly as it seems, business skills changing seemingly w/o notice, and a newer better kind world is taking place as we speak, why aren't we learning how to manipulate it NOW. I don't know what will happen four years from now, I know what I want now.
Pick something your interested in. I'll say for example books. So you take a class on books and find out that your learning how to make a book, what paper is commonly used, the font of the numbers, bibliography designs of the ages, what book means in Chinese, the words that can be made from rearranging the letters.........and all of this has to be memorized so you can "fully appreciate and understand what the author was trying to say." This is what I feel most of college is about. Dangle the real world in front of you as long as they can because remember, they've already got their method of making money, then drop you into a job leagues away from your dream major when you first signed up.
Watching an infomercial of people building gave me more a jolt to get up than I've felt towards any of my classes. I want to be productive, not robotic. Expressive and not reactive. Call me lazy, I feel lazy. I'm getting a little freaked that I won't be able to find an outlet for myself before something negative happens first.