Wednesday, August 20, 2008

[58] It Goes Beyond Art

Why do we feel for characters in stories? Getting emotionally involved with a cartoon figure in a final fantasy game or guy portrayed by such and such actor that was in another movie you like. The people hurling the air at a hundred miles per hour and your gut starts wrenching. It doesn't have to even be the main character that will get hurt or killed and your literally sad that that person is no longer with us. I feel like there are some movies or games that I get more emotionally involved with than I do the people around me. They tell stories of way more struggle and hardship than I'm looking for, yet it doesn't matter how many times a person gets shot, how many times they said a sentence they thought would be their last, I still find myself wanting to be there and wanting to be them.  How these makeshift families get formed between the characters that are so strong.  It's such a weird form of chemistry I'd venture to call it love. Pure love and passion that someone has put into telling a story that you couldn't help yourself if you tried to not want more of it. I just got done watching the movie Serenity which was formed after the fans of the show Firefly decided that simply calling something cancelled was not enough to consider it dead.  These people portray that love in a such a way that I don't want to think that there won't be another movie or that they won't bring the show back. The deeper connection that makes them a family no matter who leaves or what threats get passes back and forth. So many crazy experiences they all share. It just really is bothering me think that I can find this feeling from watching a tv show, playing a game, or reading a book, but don't feel a part of something like it in my everyday life.  There's no homework or bills in these worlds. Stay alive and stay together. So simple and direct that I find it amazing how much more truth and love is exchanged than in real life. Well then again, perhaps there's the catch.

When I say I want to be free and simple I feel like if I could escape to the adventurous and dramatic worlds that don't exist and be surround by the types of people that seem to "get it" in the same way I do, then no matter what boss battle was up next, or spiraling spaceship falling out of the sky I was on, if any moment was potentially my time to die I would never be afraid and never feel alone.  This is the very reason god was created. It's why I get frustrated when people talk of giving their lives and acting on the behalf of one. As wrong as it would be for me to lose myself completely into a world of spaceships and powers it's just as wrong  for people to get lost in their faith.  I truly do understand that feeling, everyone does. I see the true passion come through the beautiful artwork and stories of the things I like. You can say the same for your interests. Try to convince me, I dare you, to downplay the significances they had in my life. How they influenced my thoughts or actions. How they helped me adapt a new mannerism or way of looking at things. This is the significance that I try to respect in people's lives no matter what they attribute it to. Where is the line when it goes from being an important part in the intricate machine that it essentially you, and instead become  a whole mess of "the rest" that real life is always pilling on? Life is a game, earth is the playing field, you have your will to be set, go. All the stress, all the lack of love is just other players trying to cheat you out of what your trying to win. They will get in your way until you may not even realize what you've won or what you should be looking for.
This is a glaring endorsement for both the series Firefly and the movie Serenity and I hope they can move you in the same kind of way they have me.