Friday, April 10, 2009

[180] Some Agenda

I think regardless of your title, your job position, or your "years of experience," you can still be incompetent. The single most annoying things I'm faced with when trying to launch this green enterprise is how resolved people are to taking too much time and piling on red tape. I don't understand why there are so many barriers to progress. One idea; take a run down, either abandoned or neglected property, and fix it up into a zero energy building where it can both showcase to and teach people what they can do in their homes or businesses. This simple, seemingly reasonable idea involves permits, liability, zoning, petitioning, "pre-planning," and a scavenger hunt for people with the know how and (they say time) Will to do it. Some variant of this process applies to other green goals as well as the dead and gone groups of IU can testify.

I believe the reason this is so complicated is because those in charge allowed themselves to form their policies and regulations from a point of fear and greed. As a consequence, those that want to appeal to this system to push an idea that is even supported by the "informed" and "leaders" of the system must jump the proverbial hoops of people who still fly cereal into their mouths. I'm not saying projects don't need to be monitored and people shouldn't show evidence that the money and time they're getting is going to the right place. I am saying that someone shouldn't feel comfortable telling me it might be after I graduate before I get through all the b/s and get to start that project. This is one of the baseline reasons I am driven to do things better. I think when people 10, 20, or 30 years older than me speak about how naive people my age are, they are speaking to the ineptitude they've encountered, the arbitrary barriers to progress, and the resolve one must develop in order to let go of the majority of their dreams. Keep your advice.

It's sickening how comfortable people are once they've reached the point of "getting by." Good job, your the head, chair, manager of "Insert Important Title" and even you can't do anything but point to someone who may be willing to take more responsibility.