Thursday, January 3, 2013

[323] Picture Perfect Perspective

It’s important for me to know my priorities. Your perspective shapes everything. This is really an idea that I can’t belabor enough. It can change as quickly as your environment or it can remain as steadfast as your “thoroughly” thought out ideas. I have religious friends who will believe in God, despite all evidence or reason otherwise, and it shapes their attitudes and behavior seemingly as dramatically as a clear and present danger. They are entirely different people because of one idea. But that’s the thing. I don’t think they really are. I think your perspective is rooted in something deeper that gets hijacked. I think when you are aware of this hijacking it’s hard to take any one view about things overwhelmingly seriously.

I think there are main-stage ideas that pull off a hijacking better than others. These include being beholden to the ideas of your parents, getting into a relationship, believing in a god, extremism in any sense, and falling victim to present hedonism. It’s the last one I’m concerned with because it seems to be the setting of the “phase shift” that all of my old friends are going through. It’s a shift I warned about in however many blogs ago.

It can certainly get old. Whether it is doing certain things or spending too much time or thinking too long, a craving to change takes root. There’s something of a psychological need when it pertains to happiness, there’s a hedonistic want that shapes your decision to change as the “right” one regardless of how you came to that conclusion. It’s the thing where the excuses come from. This is where the lapses in memory reside. I certainly understand this want. I mean, who’s more presently hedonistic than me?

I don’t mind or care if people want to split up and travel around the world or seek certain kinds of jobs. I practice a certain kind of detachment from things that doesn’t make me message or text every friend that’s moved away to remind them of my undying love and affection. Not that I don’t appreciate hearing from someone who’s been thinking about me. I just don’t want my point to get confused when I go further. I don’t mean to force together some idiotic hippie love nest theoretical future model of togetherness. I’m not trying to be deliberately naïve to the wants and needs of other people. I just want to lean on an idea that there are significantly more options when you allow them for yourself.

I picked, for example, to live relatively cheaply, work a form of denigrating job just enough to not go crazy, try to make it to every hang out time and party, and fill in the free time with TV shows, reading, music or other practices. Whether intentional or not, I’ve talked to people who would frame this as “rotting away” in a college town trapped in a sea of retarded college kids. My perspective tells me that I will remember almost every day I spend at the park with my friends in a way that I won’t stacking beer in a cooler. My perspective has informed me of the amount of money I can potentially make when I sacrifice all my time towards some goal, and I’ve learned that I don’t want to spend that much time unless I have to or am thoroughly enjoying whatever it is I’m working on.

My perspective is also shaped by too much news and too many conversations. It really does, as odd as it seems to come across to most people, always weigh on my mind just how much I really have in comparison to the rest of the world. If I rotted away for the rest of my life in this town at a shitty job engaging with infuriating people, it would still be one of the best lives that anyone who’s ever existed has ever lived.

This doesn’t mean I don’t want “more,” I mean, I’m American. It just means I don’t feel a level of angst or maybe sadness when things don’t go my way. Of course I’m not just happy to sit and wait, but there seems to be some form of existential trauma going on with people who didn’t get into grad school or who can’t find the perfect job.

Why I advocate so heavily on behalf of keeping the relationships or surrounding yourself in friends is because that’s worked for me. If I manage to feel something it’s on those “perfect” days or perfect parties or hilarious string of jokes bullshitting with friends or breaking in new personalities. I understand relationships change and people grow apart, but that’s different from forcing yourselves apart to power through your individual forms of hell.

How much of what you expect from yourself comes from “you” and how much is beaten into you by society or some comparison to someone else?

If no one told you that you had to be a certain level of “smart” what would you be interested in? If no one painted a 2 story house with attached garage and a dog as an American Ideal, would you be dramatically upset about not having something resembling it? When I think about doing things to “better myself” it’s in better understanding my relationships. I understand that other people have other metrics, but I promise you, no amount of things I own or far in advance I pay my rent will ever speak to how I conceive of my capacity.

It’s for this reason that when I see relationships failing or being redefined in negative terms for no other reason than distance, I’m skeptical you are doing yourself any favors digging your heals into your new environment. It’s the same skepticism when you get into a relationship because you’re desperately lonely. It’s the same skepticism that tries to keep these blogs indirectly direct so that if you feel something resonate, I didn’t try to tell you how you feel, but hopefully I’m actually speaking to what you feel.

We’re constantly trying to prove things to ourselves, but doing so without keeping in mind the environment we’re working in seems to be destructive. This doesn’t mean to work up the best excuses using a “modern times” theme to arrest action, it means when you send out hundreds of applications and get 2 call backs to less than ideal jobs or schools, it really has nothing to do with you, and everything to do with the shitty infrastructure you’re working in. It means when I don’t do them same thing as you and don’t meet the same kind of disappointment, I was sold on how little was out there earlier and it’s shaped my choices.

I just want you to know why you’re moving away. I want you to see every detail for why or if a relationship has to change. I want you to really feel what the difference is when the balance between friendships and money or time spent in different environments has shifted. I say often that I’m not terribly interested in traveling outside of the novelty and social experimentation because I know wherever I go, damn there I am. And who am I without my relationships to reflect it back?