Monday, January 7, 2013

[324] Is There Anybody In There?

So it’s not so much about pursuing happiness as it is about avoiding suffering. To avoid something is to put it outside of your mind or turn it into something different. Avoidance typically plays out in some form of denial, but when it’s projected, it’s dramatically trying to shape the context to fit some form of twisted logic. I think you only do this when you are haunted by your logic engine of a brain. Every time you turn your key and expect your car to start or pick your nose ever assured you’ll get a booger, your mind is using that logic. Cause and effect is always in play and you can recall familiar circumstances.

Denial serves a purpose; it has much utility. There are a million different things at any one time we’d like to think are not true. We know what it looks like. Maybe you have a parent that refuses to accept something fundamental about your personality. Maybe you have a friend who’s in a ridiculous relationship under the hypnosis of superficial bells and whistles. Maybe you reassure yourself every day because what other choice do you have?

I’m a bad messenger. I have something that I, capital K, Know about everyone. It is the only reason I, when I try, always get what I want, it’s the only reason I know how to make you mad, and it’s the only thing that’s ever given me power over tear ducts. I just can’t seem to convince everyone that they know it too.

What I Know makes me cynical. I know relationships are conditional, often convenient, and not a fairy tale. I know how good you feel, I know what questions are struggled with; I know what things you should be doing and saying and feeling in a good one. You do to.

I Know what it’s like to try to believe in God. I know what it is to question, resolve myself to fate, and be afraid of what I’ve done or said. I know what it’s like to want to fit in with a “chosen” crowd or having some kind of divine understanding. I know I’ve never heard or seen a sign, never felt the love, nor have been moved by some other-worldly force. You do to.

You know what’s likely and unlikely. You know enough about human psychology and different ways people feel or expression emotion. And if you don’t know, you know Google exists and friends who have been there exist, and every day you spend not addressing or thinking about something is a lost opportunity.

I feel like in the event there is no hope for humanity, if we’re patently too dumb and too populated to enact any real form of change or longevity, I want to ride it out on a wave of honesty. And if it isn’t yet honest, I want the idea to be pursuing the honesty. 

This plays out in different ways. It’s someone asking me “how ya doing?” at work and I say “not terribly well working here!” Only to meet a disappointed face because I acknowledge my job is reinforcing poor peoples’ alcoholism. It’s conversations with friends where I’ll double down on a ridiculous statement or mean sentiment because it’s infuriating and hurts to see things change for stupid reasons or to struggle on behalf of dismissing stupid comments as any well-adjusted and understood group of people should be able to do. I really do blame my friends if they go home sad or angry that I called them a pussy for something as trivial as not drinking. We clearly need to better understand each other, or we’re clearly not really friends. I think it bugs people I don’t mind pushing it. If I was upset by something, I’d bring it up with the person. The onus is on me.

But to care about friends is to suffer. To want the best while you watch them be too human, too much like the rest of the world is painful. It’s worse when you recall moments or nights when you were on the brink of something new. When you remember the first time you thought to yourself, “you know, I kinda like you, I think we’ll get along alright.” And it isn’t just about friends. It doesn’t matter what you care about, you’re asking to get hurt, and you’re walking a fine line regarding how you define and relate your situation.

I prioritize things very deliberately. It’s the only reason I ever hold my tongue. It explicitly dictates where I spend my time. In order to do this, I have to be more than comfortable defending the reasons I laid things out in that order. I need to be principled. I need to have rules that, when shaken, still speak to the overall intent. It’s why I’m overly concerned with the idea of “circle-jerking.”

You could argue that life is fundamentally a circle-jerk, and you’ll probably see my nodding along for most of it. I’m not referring to circumstantial jerking, I’m talking about choices. People get together because they’re horny meat sacks intrinsically programmed to not feel bad and get fucked circumstantially, but you choose to stay in a, not-quite-right, situation for longer than you needed to learn your lesson.

For me, it’s an exercise thinking of the myriad of things I could potentially do to speak to my ideas. If I care that we have homeless people, I could work at a food bank. Have I really done anything beyond self-gratifying? A trained monkey can put food on a tray and I arrest my perspective and motivation between an apron and hairnet. Do I hand out eco light bulbs because “every little thing counts” no matter how much I know it doesn’t? Do I go back to school and get specialized degrees because “a specific amount of money will guarantee something” even though it absolutely won’t? It’s circle-jerking.

I don’t need to be loud over a microphone because I’m so fly or so different; I need to by saying something. I don’t really care about your day unless your day made you think about all your other days and what it might do to your days in the future. I don’t want to argue because I don’t care and I don’t want to defend because I prefer to stand and clarify instead of cower. I’m not “passionate” about anything that doesn’t speak to how things actually work and I want to learn how to breed novelty so it can inform a perspective. I need to prove myself right, and I need to know that the language in which I do so you are able to translate.

I didn’t feel like I was circle-jerking in trying to keep my schedule open to hang out with friends. I wanted memories. I wanted shared experiences and to keep replaying the best parties and to allow people to keep being “kids” for as long as possible. Part of me feels like I failed, but another acknowledges that I didn’t go out of my way to manipulate. It just feels like there would be something to regret in washing my hands of these people, but I’m not positive that “something” is universally acknowledged or felt.

I legitimately believe the world is doomed. I don’t want to believe it, but I do. I think it has nothing to do with people being evil, but I do think it has to do with them being in a bubble. In a bubble is where you can deny. In a bubble is where you can disavow. In a bubble you can paint anything you want on the inside to obscure what’s happening outside. I think “smart” people are easy to lose in their mental masturbation and interpersonal anxiety. I think dumb people are fundamentally overgrown scorned children who society gives license to unleash their demons after 18 short years. I think the distance you experience with any person or them to any topic is the bubble inflating. It gets bigger and bigger and only deflates when they honestly acknowledge they’re suffocating.


Lately, it’s been really hard to breathe.