Wednesday, December 26, 2012

[320] Moving Right Along

I think there are times when your true self can really shine. One thing I’ve tried to consistently shy away from is a growing habit of being one way or another. I’ll allow myself to be awkward or shy or dumb. It helps to keep me in check. It’s one thing to have a perspective and completely another to be dominated by it. It’s not cool to be too cool nor should you ever consider yourself that smart. If you choose to capitalize on one thing, do you dare forget what you may be sacrificing?

In a sense, it’s rather boring having your priorities in order. There doesn’t appear to be much wiggle room for some “crazy shit” to just happen or some new worthwhile memory to sneak itself in. Like, I’ve always pretty much hated the bar scene. I don’t mind a fuck ton of drunk people or loud music. I’ve just never understood spending a shit ton of money to be around people who are significantly prettier in the dark on the off chance you’ll find the right words to fuck a girl you’re not totally but just enough into.

You can look at a bar scene as a microcosm in power playing. Are you sporting the right look? Can you bring the right comments or perfectly time your smile? It’s just not exciting, or meaningful, or even a challenge. I may have to severely reevaluate my whore status when I have someone cute practically thrown at me and it’s like “eh, but what does this say about me?”

When I experience anxiety, it comes from not making up my mind. I know how to handle myself in a violent situation. I know what needs to be said or not during a bar hook up, and I can talk my way into them laughing at me when the cops show up. Anxiety comes from confusion. It’s who I’m going to be in this moment and why. Luckily, I sort of default to a kind of boring lame representation if only to quell potential drama, but I’m very not convinced that will consistently win out as time goes on.

I wonder how, even with the potential anxiety of not making up my mind, that I have such a sense of self. Why do I consider myself worthy of or pursuing a purpose? What clicked with me to find a sense of responsibility to myself or to different people in my life? This especially with the ability and…temptation?...to be any number of other things. Yet I can always rely on myself when things get “serious.”

Even to presumed friends, if you want to start flitting with a line, it doesn’t matter my mood, my mind finds itself prepared to be the worse person you know. This always happens. I never am without a comment or a prepared course of action if things get “serious.” I suppose the thinking tactician would try to catch me off guard in a questionable middle ground, but fuck you I just pointed it out so it can’t be that vulnerable

Do you get opportunities to show your “true” self? Do you see the flicker of what’s really happening deep inside presented to you as an opportunity to display it for the rest of the world? I’ve always fashioned myself as someone who seems to see that potential in people. Of course, I never like to bring it up or discuss it with them as it just sort of spoils the fun and alters the future. I need to make sure Marty McFly’s mom gets fucked by the right guy or things get complicated.

I’ve been thinking a lot about what it means to be “smart” or “too smart” or “insane.” I like the quote about technology advancing to a point where if you couldn’t really understand it, it would be tantamount to magic. I’d like to think people can operate this way as well. I really hesitate to consider myself smart, but I’m totally onboard with toying with insane or different. And in the right context, it really doesn’t matter. What does it mean to have a potentially megalomaniacal understanding of something you don’t really want anything to do with? Are your talents even worthwhile or just a cumbersome hiccup in your ability to cope?

I don’t do enough and I don’t know when I’ll feel like I do. I haven’t learned enough for the sake of learning, I haven’t given enough for the sake of giving, and I certainly haven’t been able to project an envisioned lifestyle to the extent I think it deserves. Every little side road decision is a joke when I think about all that I’m not doing. Of course I didn’t fuck the girl at the bar, of course I didn’t cut that friend down when they pushed, of course I landed on a few more words stated slightly differently a few more times.