Monday, December 17, 2012

[318] Brain Dump

I just want to brain dump. No promise of continuity or clarity.
I think I define stupid differently from most people. I think it’s stupid to not understand your life under a greater backdrop. If something feels super awesome and compelling in a moment, or even for a period of time, I think to consider it in a bubble is naïve. I think I see a lot of people get hurt and defensive when they do this. I also think that just because you can “get by” behaving a stupid way, it doesn’t mean it’s justified, healthy, or worthwhile. I think this applies frequently to relationships, but also with work and the varying degrees of drama you’re willing to put up with from friends or yourself.

I think I often understand where people are coming from and simply can’t make myself respect it. I’m rarely convinced, not so much that someone isn’t thinking it through, but that they’re sacrificing a kind of understanding about themselves or the context for the short term satisfaction. Yes, this can apply to myself as well, but I’m biased towards my reasoning and generally don’t catch flak when I explain the details behind a seemingly contradictory action or position. I’m ever unimpressed when I challenge someone to do the same. It’s confusing why you have to get so angry.

I think I get lost in the details of trying to talk to people when I’m not positive what my voice is. I adopt so many hats to fit a situation, I endlessly find a way around or the proper tone or do whatever it takes that to presume I have a sort of solid-state of identity starts to become ludicrous. The best thing I can do to help define myself is in the things I do or the company I keep. Clearly some form of agenda makes itself present by what you enable. It’s because of this I don’t feel lost, but it’s no less a distraction when I scrutinize every word when all I had to do was get the point across.

I wonder to what degree my capacity to be a loner affects my relationships. I certainly make clear lines and experience different levels of comfort depending on who I’m around and for how long. But I wonder if there’s something psychologically deeper going on. I think more intriguing the idea that other people could perceive a change when my mind goes to cavernous secret space. I’m also happy that being a loner doesn’t mean feeling alone. No matter what I do, I never feel just isolated. In fact, a feeling of isolation prompts a kind of freedom to start exploring.

I’m quite intrigued by the concept of a “voice.” It harps on ideas of an identity or soul or some timeless essence. It doesn’t matter when you hear it, it can apply to different things at different points, and if you’re familiar with where it came from you can identify it “naturally.” I think the only way to have a voice is to use it frequently. If you’re not saying anything, people can’t even pretend to grasp where you’re coming from. I also think you need to act in line with what you say. When you’re real world examples line up so nicely with your words, it builds trust and integrity and you’re given a form of power.

I think people crave power, but only because they feel helpless. It’s always kind of disturbing to me when I see what lengths people are willing to go to essentially mimic the failed positions of their predecessors. There’s only real power is foregoing being a slave to it. Again, it’s being effortless. When you make a decision, roll with it. When you make a friend, stick to them.  If you create something, stand by and celebrate it. To take pride in your journey allows you to focus on making the most of it without endless re-contextualizing in lieu of unrealized and unreasonable futures.

I’m marginally concerned that nothing I do or say regarding time will translate to other people. Money can always be made, stuff can always be bought or acquired, time you never get back. I don’t think other people think about time like that. I think time is like a puzzle people try to fill in well in advance. I’ll get married here, I’ll get promoted here, I’ll have kids here, I think a vacation around this time would be nice, maybe around the year 2030 I’ll be able to do this. I think this is small. I think it’s somehow psychologically comforting and provides a false sense of security. I think it locks you into a box of limited potential when the reality is infinite.
The non-respect thing plays heavily into my psychological capacity to do things. Your “manager” title means nothing to me. Your official stature or professional air doesn’t resonate.  Surely, for practical reasons I don’t tell you this or treat you differently, but god forbid you catch a glimpse of my eyes or smile. What sucks is that I wouldn’t mind actually being told what to do by someone who really had a grasp of what they were doing. It’s not that I merely hate taking orders, it’s simply the vast majority of orders I’ve taken have been ill-timed, wastes of effort, or utter bullshit.

I also think about the idea of “different” or “special.” Again, these only make sense in a context or relative timeframe, but I’m speaking about something more than circumstantial difference. Of course every one of my friends is different, but who’s really different. As far as I know, I’m the only one who semi-consistently yells fuck in a crowded room or concerns myself with “fixing the world.” Who are the Jeremy Gotwals' and Mickey Woods that can be used as definers of the genre. I have similar friends who want to own businesses or hold similar ideas about relationships. At that level then I have a group of really different people against the world at large.  In a band, you have maybe a hundred people who play an instrument, but who’s the musician and why?

I remember what it was like to have an amazing memory and endless focus. When I thought you could simply explain to religious people all the things they didn’t know, I learned a ton and I learned fast. You develop habits that beget more knowledge and you have default methodologies to engaging with people who don’t even understand they’re entering the conversation at a predictable and calculable level. Whether your measuring their disposition, their ability to concede, their insistence on a particular point, or some overall idea regardless of the details, when you engage enough, you know where it can go or not.

That period reminds me of my capacity, but it’s spoiled my present. I don’t need to learn anymore that people are intractable. I’m sold. As much as it sometimes makes me sick, people will pull on their feelings before they count something. The world literally looks to me like, “hey, there are 4 beans in this jar” and someone tells me “no no no, because I feel like this or want to define ‘bean’ differently there’s really only 3.”

And I know people think that I’m trying to exude a kind of ego or dominance or maybe intellectual certitude. I really have no defense against that. I don’t know how to sound less that way when I’m not making a personally compelling argument. I don’t lead with “I feel like.” I reference studies or numbers. Those make people feel bad; therefore, I’m missing the hidden specialness of their position.
I hate the idea of people knowing they are hiding more than the hiding itself. It’s one thing to grow up afraid or strangled by a context that you don’t know any better. This is why I hate the smart people. They make more excuses and justifications than any idiot. Idiot’s just roll with it and think it’s matter-of-fact. Smart people know they’re being ridiculous and then hide. They know they’re being dishonest and try to employ guilt for poking at their system or some other form of straw-man. That’s where you find a true definition of hypocrisy.