Wednesday, December 5, 2012

[316] Dainty Ogre Gold-Plated Pitchfork Collectors

I’d like to talk about objectification and hypocrisy, and man, is shit gonna be magic. I’m a firm believer in nailing down terms, and the ladies, to make sure we grasp just what it is we mean when we pull those little buggers from our arsenal.

Let’s start with objectifying. I was recently accused of objectifying people and merely being “kind of a doosh” when it came to interacting with people. While I would hardly deny my potential doosh tendencies, it dose sting a little when it comes from someone that you previously liked more than a little.

So I got to thinking about objectifying, what it really means. We are comprised of potentially invigorating or objectionable tendencies or attributes. To regard them, that is, to take them under consideration, can be made to be understood as “objectifying.” Are we not objects? A hand severed from a body, is a hand. Do you speak of the soul of the hand? Do you characterize its personality? I challenge a single one of you to describe the Adams’ family hand as boisterous or intractable.

I think to find someone, or something about them attractive, is not the same thing as to treat them as a train set. It’s not the same kind of enjoyment; it’s not irrespective of the being attached to those attributes. I mean, please, we live in the internet age. A body without a face or a little backstory might as well be another pilled on in a Holocaust grave. I don’t feel guilty pointing out the luck you had in not being born looking like Gollum. If I based how I treated all people or made moralistic or impractical judgments because of my innate gag reflex, then yes, that’s pretty terrible. But to pretend that’s what it’s about because I offer a compliment…like, weak.

Then I think what if I was objectified. How shitty do I feel when someone likes or doesn’t the curls in my hair? What if they don’t like a tummy verses a six pack? What if I’m too tall, too hairy, or too dead in the eyes to pop their clit right from behind their jeans? I still have to accept their judgment. I have to make myself feel icky. I have to deny my history, my proclivities, my understanding, and my current reality and validate that opinion. Who in their right mind thinks there is much utility or purpose in “objectifying” people? Make jokes and comments all day; unfortunately I’m past the point I’m going to throw it in your face like I’m on the defensive.

So I’m sure this can tie into hypocrisy somehow right? If you adopt an over-reaching conception of change, hypocrisy can’t exist. For in order to contradict yourself, you need to have a hard-lined perpetual self to stand in contrast to. You need to be saying “I am this unshakeable idea at the same time I am this unshakeable idea,” which just seems naïve and unreasonable. I think it’s too easy to be a hypocrite. It speaks to why I hate the word love. You can plaster it on anyone and anything just given your small perspective on who they are.

I think changing your mind, evolved philosophy, and personal indignation mascaraed as hypocrisy. People don’t like your reasons, they don’t understand your reasons, but very simply, you can’t stand in utter contrast to how you actually believe and are behaving. You’re no more a hypocrite than you are non-existent. For ideas and potential to be challenging or nuanced, is not the same thing as them contradicting your being. Like, every time I don’t make a fat joke within ear shot, is that hypocritical, or just smart and kinda nice?

Also, if you don’t have a grasp of the subject you’re bound to look “hypocritical” about, the judgment goes even farther out the window. You can’t even define the terms! You have a small and shifting position. Now that you’ve gained a perspective or managed to have something invested, it’s time to demonize you as a hypocrite? Maybe you’re just learning. Maybe you’ve just brushed against something that you never knew you needed to be informed about. Maybe you’re just utterly fucking terrible at arguing or laying out what it is you actually think. Then, you could even be made out as a hypocrite for getting smarter!

I think it’s important for me to suss out what I mean by these terms because I anticipate my life changing dramatically. Whether it’s getting paid massive amounts of money for making phone calls, or deciding to reorganize my social structure, to the untrained eye, it’ll be, hell, to any eye, it’ll be really easy to just judge and feel and make all sorts of blah blah blah comments about. Here’s my offer of insight. If it clicks in your head, we’re money. If not, well, fuck it I tried, guess it’s not that important anyway, right?