Tuesday, September 18, 2012

[300] Let's Throw A Party

I was recently asked why I’m so into the “partying thing” and I found myself scraping the surface of what throwing a party means to me. I can’t recall how much I’ve written on the topic of parties specifically, so given that it was the focus of my house, is intimately tied to my conception of reality, and is likely to mean a million different things to a million different people, I think it’s perfect for my 300th blog.

Partying to me is a perfect opportunity for planned spontaneity. Left to its own devices, spontaneity could arise as a car crash, or worse, something like stubbing your toe on an AIDS needle under the corner of your hardwood armoire. In a party setting, you set the conditions, but it’s up to the imagination and will of the players to sort themselves out. Someone’s comment sparks a waterfall of sarcasm and laughter. A beer pong champions reign can be the height of anticipation and woe as the struggle to dominate battles the odds and will. The smallest of victories; a perfectly poured shot, a fire that didn’t catch something important, the stripper move not landing you on your head, all can be celebrated as if they in some small way are helping to cure cancer.

It’s a giant perspective shift, if you let it. When you watch children, or retarded people, or animals (don’t worry, none of them can read) playing the same movie over and over or seeing yourself in the mirror or even wallowing in your own filth is amazing. Until someone tells you about germs, and being self-conscious, and other options do you get the sense that what you once loved is no longer fulfilling or okay. Of course you need more intellectual stimulation, and not to be covered in shit as you grow up, and it’s not just grown-ups being mean and robbing you of your childhood. That’s poverty’s job. But any time your perspective shifts, something’s lost and something’s gained.

Well, as I’ve harped about before, as you get older, and yes I’m talking about you because I’m forever an overgrown man-child, your perspective shifts. Maybe your body can’t eat or drink like it did when you were a teenager. Maybe the idea of puking on your couch at 4 in the morning while your friends play Mario Kart on what’s practically your dead body just doesn’t sound appealing. Here I would argue that it’s not an either or. I’m still trying to get all of my old friends to get freshmen around and let all the bad stuff happen to them. My conception of party can comfortably fit younger people’s embarrassing stories and awkward trying-to-hard behaviors as part of my memories.

I like the idea of social lubricants. I like the idea of a drunken mind speaking a sober heart. While I think it’s less prevalent in my social circle to be behind a ton of walls, I think the exact opposite about the world at large. I don’t want to hear about how much you love your boyfriend, I want to hear, “I loooove my boyfriend, but” and actually get somewhere. Tequila will get you there; and your shirt on the floor, and your pants on the stove. I think alcohol can be celebrated as a root of psychological inquiry. Not to mention what it’s done for rape; because who wants to remember that.

Every time I think of a party, I view it as a celebration of the time I’m spending with friends. We get to color in what it means to have reached the peak. You’ve got people who care, understand you, are willing to talk and share in your bad decisions that night. Surely, we’ve all been angry drunk or sad drunk, but no one is really looking for those consistently unless they have a problem. Those are the types that can’t appreciate what it means to party and instead, in a stark parallel to sobriety, exhibit the psychological hell of not being in control. As a doctor, I want an early warning system or an excuse to ask “are you okay?”

Perhaps most importantly for me is the chance to exhibit the balancing act in my head. I am drawn to the Yin Yang symbol after all. I love the idea of being someone who can down a fifth and still handle business. I love the idea of knowing the perfect cocktail of rum, Steak N Shake, and Pepto Bismal it takes to get up at 9 and make sure I catch that phone call from the planning department. I want to tear down the wall between responsible and irresponsible, at least as far as popular opinion is concerned; be a responsible rascal.

The style of the party might change, but the amount of fun doesn’t have to. The child-like enthusiasm is sacred if only because so many people believe that once it’s lost you can never get it back. I’ve never had more fun than when I was creating movie moments with my friends. It’s why I set the stage. Right now, I think a lot of stages are filled with uncertainty and bills and instead of trying to think of something new or create a world that marginalizes “problems,” a lot of people are going to get swallowed up whole. Maybe you’ll get all sorts of fun and games out of your families down the line, you saps, but god forbid you waste your 20-something liver. The world is your Banzai room.