Thursday, September 11, 2008

[131] Walking Contradiction

Thursday, September 11, 2008 at 11:36am 

Let’s be clear from the beginning. The purpose of this blog is for YOUR MERE SPECULATION. After a rather exhilarating, let’s say conversation, it has come to my attention that perhaps I have no idea who in fact I think I am. Do I have emotions? Am I quick to judge? Is there something, a key component to humanity, that I either suppress, deny, or disavow that actively separates me from the happy vibe everyone else is on? I’m really rather intrigued because I had a flurry of accusations about my character hurdled at me tonight and I’d like to see if they are right, especially because I feel they were so emphatically wrong.

I guess I’ll put it this way. Assuming life is a game, if I make people cry and get angry by “doing me,” who “wins” in that conversation? I mean it’s becoming a recurrent theme of me making people cry just by talking with them, and I’m not sure why. Ok, that’s kind of a lie, but me telling you I understand why would only exude my know-it-all arrogance, right?

I guess I will tell you that I regard myself as “perpetually meh.” I’m definitely not depressed, but I’m far from perfectly happy. I actively search out opportunities to laugh and have a good time, and those are exceedingly good times. I don’t know, there really isn’t much to say because all I was really left with was confusion lol, so I’m leaving it up to you to either confirm or deny the things I, honestly can’t remember in whole, but will spark something if I hear again. So again, your thoughts, meager understanding, and wild speculation is what I’m after. And remember kids, its all for fun, you won’t hurt my feelings :).
Updated about 2 months ago

Daniel Noah Robbin wroteat 3:12pm on September 11th, 2008
"Am I quick to judge?"

Yes, I think so. You're too hard on people with religious faiths. Now, maybe I'm not being correct because I'm not around you on a personal level. I'm just gauging my opinion from what you've written in your Notes. So, if I'm wrong, tell me.

My grandmother died peacefully and happily this summer from battling cancer a second time. Throughout her battle, she was ready to die (Though she never lost the will to live) because she knew she was going to heaven whenever her time came. It did on June 19th and out of all the people I have ever met and known, she is the only one I know who would ever deserve to live in eternal paradise. She was the kindest, most generous person I ever knew. Her faith brought her joy in a time of pain and I'm glad for that. Whether I agree with her beliefs or not, I wanted her to die in peace.

In its purist form, religions claiming peace, love, and understanding are all fundamentally good. I now know this from experience and I can only hope that others will come to know it too.

*I know that religion can also be corrupt and used for acts of a malicious nature but I'm speaking outside of that spectrum for now.*
Report - Delete



Daniel Noah Robbin wroteat 3:16pm on September 11th, 2008
So, I guess my main point is this: Be patient with those who disagree with you. As long as they aren't hurting themselves or anyone else, there should be no problem. :)
Report - Delete



Byron R. Turner II (McKendree) wroteat 3:32pm on September 11th, 2008
"Am I quick to judge?"

Fuck yea you are, but there is no reason to waste time on a person stuck in their religion box. All I have to say about who you are is that your are NICK. The asshole, the heartless relgion basher, the go geter, the good cop,smooth talker. People look at your surface and assume that that is your whole being, as is the case for most people. But that is not true, why should you be super happy anyway. Are you content with your position in life, I know I'm not and I'm not going to be happy to I reach my goals which I assume is the same for.

So, I guess my main point is: Be a asshole to those who disagree with you. As long as they are around they are hold you back . Do what you can to crush people like that, because if you don't try to correct them who will. Their influence already has infultrated our lifes, someone has to stand against them.
Report - Delete



Nick P. wroteat 3:48pm on September 11th, 2008
Daniel,

I feel I must clarify. Your grandmothers situation is one I would obviously not go after nor feel obligated to inform her of my ideals as she's about to die. Yes, to that end it made her happy, didn't harm anybody, all is well.

When it comes to people hurting themselves, this could be a long answer but I'll try to sum it up. When your taught as a child the very idea of eternal hellfire for thought crimes, I feel it is quite obvious the mental harm you cause yourself stressing over whether or not you will end up there. I can both attest to this and have seen the support programs for people well into their 60's and 70's who still suffer from such mental anguish.

When it comes to patience, I don't feel I could be anymore patient. I have spent months talking to people who eventually forced me to leave the conversation with statements about how they would have their children killed and why apes aren't talking. I spend hours compiling links and information for those I feel might be better understood after having watching it only to get ignored and answered with some non sequiter argument or tantrum. I source check everything someone gives me that is actual evidence as well.

When it comes to me judging, I think we should investigate under what circumstances I do, and what prompted me to come to any conclusion as a result of it. Something I tried to explain to the gentleman last night, I make predictions for people. When those people confirm the prediction, I find it harder to respect them. Also, I generally get a flurry of thoughts, again thoughts, that judge the shit out of everyone I meet. If I see behavior that reinforces those initial thoughts, I don't feel guilty or wrong for being "judgmental" because they've only confirmed my initial speculations. It isn't as if I fold my arms and say "All fat people are lazy and not worth talking to, or anybody who claims a religion is automatically deluded and has nothing to say to me."
Delete



Daniel Noah Robbin wroteat 3:51pm on September 11th, 2008
Like I said, I don't know you personally enough. Thanks for the explanation. You're on a good trek towards self-realization, it seems. Keep at it!

Oh, and my name is Noah. No need to be professional, Nick.
Report - Delete



Nick P. wroteat 3:53pm on September 11th, 2008
Byron,

quite obviously I agree. I don't want to waste my time with people who I can't even vaguely see will be worth it. I'm never content, I just am, another point most people can't catch too readily. I like the word crush, but I aim to take it a step farther and provide a platform from which they can rebuilt themselves. Key theme, them being aware and actively choosing who they are and what decisions will reflect their aim. Also, I fully agree, if I don't try, I can't expect anybody else to, nor feel warranted in bitching about them in the first place.
Delete



Billy Bowman (Bloomington, IN) wroteat 8:33pm on September 11th, 2008
Alrite Nick, anyone hurling accusations at you is only doing so because.. well, you were probably being you, and offended them, and they just couldn't handle that. Not your fault, some people just can't take criticism.

I'd say you have emotions, just not the same mind set as most so they may see you as cold and emotionless, especially since you yourself are 'too science minded' to by into emotions being much more then chemical reactions, neurons, etc.

As for quick to judge, I really don't think you are. You judge people, there's no doubt about that, but considering just how much you THINK about everything, the reading you've done, seminars you've attended, people you watch, you're not doing so quickly by any means. You really seem to gather your information quite carefully, and once you have it all, and whomever your victim might be is feeling smug, in all likelihood thinking they've left you stunned and speechless, you use all that information to unleash a hellstorm of judgment.

As far as your arrogance and wanting to 'wins' conversation goes, i don't see it. I suppose it is arrogant to think of yourself as more informed, but it's really the reality of the situation. I dare anyone to challenge the amount of material you've gone through to get to where you stand to day. I sure as hell couldn't. I've never seen you attempt to win a conversation, only either try to inform someone, or at least get them to try to inform themselves (which probably comes off as "i'm fucking smarting then you, listen to me damnit" because people are dumb as hell, and really are pretty closed minded) OR.. make yourself laugh, no matter who you offend.

In a related note, if i were to criticize 99% of the people i know in this fashion, they'd hate me for at least a week, which shows something about your character.
Report - Delete



Nick P. wroteat 8:49pm on September 11th, 2008
Lol the weirdest thing about the conversation is that I wasn't criticizing the person, I was just explaining who I am and why his assessment wasn't correct.
Delete



Billy Bowman (Bloomington, IN) wroteat 8:52pm on September 11th, 2008
..So..
They just started hurling accusations?
Report - Delete



Colin Hampton wroteat 9:09pm on September 11th, 2008
Having only known you for a week or so now, I would have to say, while you are quick to judge in some cases, you are usually correct in your assumptions about people. Unfortunately for a few of us, people (including myself at times) generally acquiesce to certain stereotypes that demean humanity as a whole. As such, we are easily grouped into rather bland collections.

As for your being adept at cracking down on people with religious views, you obviously know that there is a time and place for such things and that under certain circumstances, it is unacceptable even by your lax standards. You have just as much a right to speak your mind on your religion, or lack there of.

In any since, you are a good guy. You are a great friend to many, and, as I have personally seen, you do not hesitate to help someone else out when you are able. I know its cliche, but don't change you for anyone but you. Keep doing what you're doing.
Report - Delete



Nick P. wroteat 9:19pm on September 11th, 2008
Mr. Bowman,

Ya lol kinda. Tried to analyze me and whatnot. And yes, all I can do to stay sane is keep laughing.

Colin,

Thank you sir, I ain't changin :)
Delete



Rosalina Elliott wroteat 9:51pm on September 11th, 2008
Alrighty Nick, this is my time to jump in...

No shit, you judge people. Everyone at one point in their lives will judge people. There is no innocent person here that can say that they do not do that.

However, here is the point that differs you from everyone though: You are not afraid to tell people your judgements. It can come off as rude at times because it may not be "socially acceptable" to do so.

We already had a conversation about this topic previously, but I will restate some points and add some new ones. You say these things to (A) because you just want to say something about the topic (B) want to get a good/bad reaction from what you say (C) you actually want to have an (gasp) intelligent non-rehearsed conversation with someone or (D) I think you want to have a conversation with someone that can stand up for themselves and possibly shock you with a new idea.

Random side note, you can come off as intimidating because of the strong stances you take. I give you kudos though because your judgements are created after careful thought and usually are dead on.

As for the warm touchy feely emotions, you do have them. You showed the bad side of it when that stupid girl came in front of your car. I think you do show the good side of it when people do wrong to your friends. Most people don't get to see or care to take the time to look for that side.

Keep writing. Whether or not people agree with what you say, at least it is interesting...
Report - Delete



Nick P. wroteat 10:19pm on September 11th, 2008
I must say, I rather enjoy these assessments. I do appreciate you taking the time to offer your inputs. Ms. Rosie, I will indeed keep writing, especially since the one time I tried to stop I went damn near insane lol. I'm glad you put in (D) because that really is one of my main focuses that gets quickly overlooked. Ultimately, I'd like people to just learn, and most importantly be honest, about themselves, because after that they'll know everything they need to know about me :).