Wednesday, January 7, 2009

[71] Jesus Camp And Degrassi

Something I think would be an amazingly fun and hysterical undertaking would be a documentary on the day to day lives of people like the ones in Jesus Camp. I was kind re-watching it on A&E and as angry as I get towards people I personally interact with, I'd probably squeeze off an aneurism and erupt into convulsions after spending more than a few moments with these characters. I find it intriguing that when you show a movie like Jesus Camp to the faithful they get just as pissed off as a non-believer. "Those terrible people who just want to make war and make kids cry are abusing my bible!" the religious person wanes, "That isn't my faith." The fact unfortunately remains that it is in fact, your faith, just not how you choose to see it. All those baseless and simpleton statements did just come out of the person praising Jesus and now perhaps you feel guilty that you pretended there wasn't a problem? I can only imagine what it would be like to be an unarmed apologetic for all the problems I never cared to learn about. In other words, this is an appropriate time to give up and not feel bad. 

Its like the show Degrassi. These kids have so much drama and every bad combination of teenage problems in the world happen to them. I doubt the show would do so well if it wasn't constantly reminding people how screwed up things can get when the right way to fix things is ignored. All those lies and hurt feelings, tears and fights. For one reason or another we revel in the idea that it's not real, or isn't happening to us. HA! I defiantly say. In the same way we like to pretend with shows like these, we are susceptible to taking such a blaze atmosphere about our own lives.

Having gotten far enough into my book that I'm reading some of today's authors who's books I've already read, it isn't giving me much to go on. The tv is doing a pretty good job of getting the thoughts moving though. I feel so cynical because I want to play on those insecurities of our species. People will tell you how to manipulate them, if you're listening correctly. I thought it intriguing that on this list of 20 billionaires, like half dropped out of school or never had any schooling. You think they learned a thing or two about people as a means to get to the top?

It just kills me to think about how quickly people are ready to destroy a good thing. Maybe it's because they can't recognize it for what it is. Always pursuing something better so much farther than their mere beauty or knowledge can take them. Running and never going anywhere, inventing excuses for things that simply "are." Loners get that point, at least the ones who aren't manic depressive. Some innate ability to find the happy or at least contentment as the norm and just handling issues as they come. That giant group of followers on the other hand are all too ready to pass their lives onto god or their love of Jesus as it turns out they are but humble sinners and this scary world of satanic influence is just too over their heads. Crappy relationship? Ahh I'm in one with god, so whatever. Someone died or better, isn't dead yet from drugs or a violent lifestyle? Psh we'll catch up when I get to heaven. Books and science? God will reward me for keeping my piety, says so right here.

I just really don't like lies. No, I don't want to confess every bad thing I've done to the world and wouldn't expect the same of you. At least I don't kid myself . Wish wish wish monkeys, dance dance dance. No one wants to live forever. Will your death be the culmination of stress and lies which have taken their toll, or the legacy of a truly fulfilled life?