Thursday, January 10, 2008

[54] Perspective

There are three ways to look at things. Perspective is ever present, never fully appreciated. Basic example, I'll take a member of the NRA.
1st perspective: Ignorant "outsider" would say something like "Those gun toting redneck only want violence and need to make up for a small cock."

2nd perspective: a personal stance or what an NRA member might say "I carry this gun because I believe in protecting my family" because they do in fact love their family very much and no matter how much of a jolt it gives them that idea was central in their decision to join.

3rd perspective: Unbiased observer "That guy has a gun, if he doesn't want to shoot me I'm fine, if it protects his family ok, if he talks in a southern accent and hunts turkey who really cares?"
All three of these views hit me at once when I encounter new people or situations. I know what someone would say about said person if they never took the time to learn about them. I know what that person would say about themselves if they never took them time to reflect on themselves. I know how and what to say to be cool with both people despite the different things they would have to say about each other.

I just got done watching an old presidential debate and it prompted me to start thinking about how these people were thinking.  Some of the candidates did come off as too personal and uniformed about the outside situation. How many of you are doing that? How many times do I come off that way?

Like most my stuff I can tie this into the religion debate but I'm only gonna take a few sentences. How many people of faith have really taken the time out to investigate what that such and such called atheists are trying to show them? How many atheists are just as quick to yell bible thumper before they care about what a good nature that person of faith may have.  These lines between our explicit and implicit meanings are making for dramatic action that is often unwarranted and misguided no matter how much each side believes it will help them relate.

This is why I come across as impartial or cold to many people and their situations. I don't really care not because I'm full of hate and misunderstanding, I don't care because it's not my situation, I haven't made it  personal, I'm not going to practice making myself feel as negatively.  It is possible to see the holes, the ways to fix, and repercussions before emotion shows up. So I want you to rise up in a sense. Take yourself out of the bias. I find that I can never take myself seriously if and when I choose to bitch about something. How many people think there is anything short of the world coming to an end when such an such issue arises from home or some person turns out to have been more harm than good all along? I mean are some people just that unlucky? Usually if there is trouble about to happen I find that I've in some way or another asked for it and knew it was totally preventable.

I feel I'm emanating what I sense from other people. I don't want to regard that feeling as some compelling force which I abuse to justify my actions or lack thereof, but at the same time it's not something so easily overcome.  I've felt like I've been wasting my time with things for longer than I can recall and then when I encounter people who fall in line with half or no struggle at all, and it makes my concerns seem all the more insignificant.

Perspective right, that's what I was talking about. You change your perspective you change your world. That sentiment is all well and good and I "preach" it to people who've become engulfed in self defeating and go-nowhere statements, but I can't seem to take it anymore seriously. All the arguments about the nature of perception, what's really "true," and the power of thought can be made but that's not what I'm trying to discuss. I feel like I'm just observing everything. Watching my decisions play out on some grand chess board. I'm really struggling with the idea that my "reality" is just engineered by subconscious motivations which, for all I know, could be completely out of whack.  

Every time I interact with someone, I think about what I really am saying or am really planning for.  I almost feel irresponsible if I don't. If I'm literally just flying by the seat of my pants and never accounting for anything, what choice am contributing to my nature? What message can I personally determine is the important one to send to people I meet? And then, while I'm making these conscious decisions to form what I hope is the correct message, what's making anyone else fully appreciate or understand where I'm coming from in the first place?

Who needs to keep playing the victim? If time was taken to self reflect we wouldn't have to worry about demonizing someone as that circumstantial victim, we wouldn't face impossible situations, no wasted stress and effort would be wasted to rationalize the dark spots our minds take us to . I really think that I won't be satisfied until I see evidence that people even vaguely grasp how much a lack of understanding or care about their situations can impact those around them.  
You can decide if you want to make a change, just SEE the situation for what it really is first.
I get along best with people who have learned to get along with themselves, not just tolerate their situations.