Thursday, November 15, 2007

[43] Can You Believe It

Can you believe it?
I find when people say "I respect what you believe, but I don't agree with you" they have no idea what their talking about. I believe in:

I believe in Life, Love, and Happiness.
I believe in Freedom of expression.
I believe in Knowledge, provable facts, and evidence.
I believe in an open mind.
I believe people need to remedy denial, delusion, and dogma.
I believe in PEACE.

That is all, if you respect and don't agree with that then I don't understand you, nor care to. Maybe you don't know about how the brain works, and that's ok for now, but I'm making it my burden to inform people about how and why they think they know everything. It kills me too how people can read only one rant blog and think they have my position solidified in their minds. Good job "summing up the facts and taking for granted." It's too typical.

My head incessantly hurts when I don't understand something. I'm suffering from trying to empathize with a person who can know what I know, believe in their religion, and be comfortable with the denial of facts and outright contradiction that now defines their existence. Those "moderate Christians" that have formed their own religion of hand sitting in the face of action and screaming "respect" when bombarded with probing questions. I can't do it, don't keep trying.

I fuck up all the time. Give me a task and rest assured before I can do it perfectly and consistently, even if its easy and "under my belt" I will screw it up at least once. I can admit it and take the heat. I'm not afraid to be wrong and in fact, depressingly enough, almost always expect it. 9 times out of 10 when I hear some authoritative figure call my name at work or school I automatically assume I'm wrong or in trouble. Now I don't always want to feel wrong or like I mess up, but that's reality. When you investigate, when you realize, and when you question why your wrong you can learn how to prevent freaking out or getting upset when something happens. This kind of mindset needs to be adopted by those who are afraid of what will happen if they started to disbelieve. One of understanding and growth, NOT damnation. If God wanted you to ignore fact and evidence, throw away this life in hopes for the next, why the hell did he arm you with brains that can only operate on what you logically deduce and learn and perceive here and now. That has got to be one of the most important things you need to know about how your brain works. You literally are what dreams are made of. You are capable of thinking and doing sooo sooo much with information it is scary.

I like to learn. When I read books its not so I can find more things to "bash" religion, I simply learn why they came to be, how the nervous system operates, facts about other religions, and all the evidence that science has found to suggest, more outright disprove, things that are widely accepted and comfortable to swallow. That's why I get angry when I talk to people who believe in literal interpretations of text, or that the word is "inspired". They believe in parts, and always the parts that further their own ideals and worldview, that don't have any credibility until thought credible before the parts were seen. You are not a product of god, you are the mental and physical representation of what you can perceive at any instant. Your brain doesn't allow for any "belief" that isn't in the shadow or better represented by something deeper, more clear, and more consistent. The matter that you consist of is always moving and ever changing. There, in a sense, is no "you."

I always wonder why, when its too easy to do, we can draw parallels with the bible's god and a human. I mean humans say the same things and use the same manipulative techniques today that the bible is famous for using as "perfectly inspired." Defensive and petty statements that are nothing of how you'd want a god to act. I mean the second I hear of a jealous god I'm beyond confused. What could ANY representation of a perfect all knowing and lovable character EVER have to be jealous about let alone feel the need to tell anyone about it. It really is just that simple sometimes. The bible needs to be on the shelves next to the Iliad and characters like Yahweh and Satan need to be retired like Zeus and Dionysus.

You think what people believe isn't hurting you. You live in an age where people are blowing themselves up on buses and crashing planes into buildings. Blind faith and misguided, misconstrued information can be spread like wildfire with the internet and news. When your president thinks it's the beginning of the end of days your friends and family get to die in Iraq. When North Korea and Islamic factions think the pure filth that is the West and "Christians" are unworthy and taking over and their chosen time has come, you get nuked. There is NO TIME left for being lazy, "respectful", and tolerant. I'm tired of it and YOU SHOULD BE TOO. I know already that if your reading this your not blowing people up, others of your faith are, or are willing to die and take others with them. I know you may not know all the facts and reason I have to be so blunt and angry. Here's an opportunity to learn and gain perspective. If your not talking, if your not angry, if you don't do the basic things even a dirty hippie can pull off, I have ZERO respect or tolerance for you. I will not care about your feelings, I will not subject myself to your contradictory dogma, and I will not fear coming off as pampas or arrogant. If that comes with living in the real world, being an individual, and spreading truth so be it.

If you think errant facts need to be preserved for you to carry on living, your lying. If you think the bad things that happen because of faith are because people aren't doing it "correctly," your lying. If you think sitting in your fear bubble and the world views from the rest of humanity are helpless to pop it, your hastening your already eminent death.