Monday, November 5, 2007

[42] Before Ee Even Get StarTED

"Imagine all the people, living for today."

That song has been embedded in my head and is my recommendation for the future world anthem. You'd be too quick to say that I hate religion and fear or resent god or w/e else that first pops into your head when I try to discuss your "faith." After watching License to Wed, of all movies, I realized how badly people need to fully appreciate where someone is coming from before they can even begin to understand and think about what's being said. For me a better statement would be that I hate the countless negative things done in the name of Jesus or a god. I hate when people "justify" blissful ignorance in the face of factual knowledge. I hate seeing defensive stances taken in an area of your life that should mean so much more to you than something to fight for instead of express.

The truth is, I don't care at all if you believe. If it "makes you a better person," "adds meaning to your life," and "isn't harming anybody" then go for it. A church go-er can walk in and see all the people in the choir who "love to praise Jesus." They look around at all the heads nodded in "prayer." They "ask for forgiveness" and get blessed. I can't do that. I see people who simply like to sing and appreciate the musical energy. I see people huddled over mimicking what their parents taught them, behaving respectfully, and wishing really hard. I watch people as they give up after exhaustively pointless attempts to justify their guilty deeds and thoughts.

I will never feel intimidated or scared of your god or knowledge of the gospels. Don't look for me if you want to argue with bible quotes, miracles, or nice people stories. If you don't  see how easily I can argue the bible with the bible, find plausible scientific explanations for the miracles, and tell you just as many bad people stories your fooling yourself. All I ever ask for people is to be honest. The same kind of honest that made me rant for countless hours about "love." Honesty that accounts for 20 or so depressed and pissed off blogs. REAL TRUTH that pushes you to get informed, most assuredly stress out, and ultimately achieve real happiness. That thing that keeps your heart steady and your head on when your faced with something you don't yet understand. The lack of understanding pill is the hardest to swallow and takes the longest to digest, but the rewards are so insurmountable later you won't regret the side effects.

You must always remember I won't try to fight "your god" because if I try we both already know I'm wrong your right and I'm destined to "lose." If you justify your accusations and beliefs in ignorance, or better said, "on faith" I won't bother to argue and will only suggest certain books or documentaries I can all but assume you won't read or watch. The ultimate paradox will always remain however, though we think we know so much, at the same time we really don't know anything. If you don't at least settle, better yet, begin to question, the ground in your own mind how much bigger are you making the problem? Where is the advice your giving really coming from? What message are you actually trying to preach? Sure, its simple to agree on the basics, you know, peace, love, yada yada, but what hat happens when we hit the details? Instead of arguing semantics why can't we just simply agree on those simple things of peace, love, and yada yada and stop there. Your religion is not your spirituality and especially not your individual nature. I don't care to, nor try to, "attack" you. I look to explain what you believe. Moreover I look for you to explain and understand what you believe. If you don't think that's where I'm coming from, that's on you, just don't expect anything out of me that I wouldn't award anyone else with a contently closed mind. If you'll never see me as anything but some "hateful atheist" or "religion attacker" and my opinions or better yet, proven facts, just will never matter, the very least I would hope for you to take from me are some questions you can ask yourself. Alone and quietly in your bedroom perhaps at four in the morning when no one can judge you. Light a candle, put on some Jack Johnson, sit back and just ask. I don't know what will happen. Simply ask. Don't get angry, don't give up, and don't be afraid of your answers.