Tuesday, October 25, 2011

[251] Philosipheyes

What matters?

Your perspective? Your will? Your obligations? Your sense of morality? Your struggle? Look at me, starting so selfishly; my bias might be showing a bit. Is it really my bias, or is it just symptomatic of subjective reality?

If one tethers one's heart severely and imprisons it, one can give one's spirit many liberties.”
-Nietzsche

I think I imprison my heart with ideas of objectivity. I wait and see, watch for cause and effect, then play accordingly. My “spirit” therefore is free to simply do whatever it takes for me to draw a desired effect. But does that matter?

I’ll never know explicitly what someone else is thinking. Even when I exhaust my words people don’t even believe they know what I’m thinking. I can’t account for the probability of something going wrong, and I’ll always be using incomplete information when I make an assessment. To what degree, in what realm, to whom does it concern where and why I do things? I think even pushing yourself to hint at asking those kinds of questions is perhaps a fundamental role people’s gods fill.

And why not? Does it necessarily feel good to think that you’re unstable? Is hovering doubt a comforting a feeling let alone message to espouse? Perhaps not. Should you become arrested by your ideas then? Be unable to even qualify the word unstable or respect the notion of the ever small “you” amidst the noise? I chalk it up to intellectual stimulation. When you go to the top of a building and look over unable to help yourself from thinking what it would feel like, look like, or do to other people if you were to jump. Do you really want to jump? Not if you’re reading this.

And I think that’s what I do. I let my mind go to scary uncomfortable and downright despicable places simply because I can, or it does, or I can’t pretend to know of a reason or method to stop it. Having not gone insane, majorly snapped or hurt anyone, nor with any plans to do so, I just keep on thinking like a so-self-described sociopath or psychopath and carry on business as usual.

But why? What keeps me able to focus or respect, to even a marginal degree, others’ feelings and my position in society? Why do I recognize and try to exploit and grow opportunity? What capacity for positive feelings do I have that overwhelms a general proclivity to destroy or play with to the point of absurdity? Why are my rules, my chains, or my tethering ideas the ones that remain at the top? Maybe because they aren’t mine? Another argument against free will?

If it all boils down to feeling, then why bother with intellectual exercises? If you feel a certain way and you want to feel that way, the only “logic” you care about is the one describing your capacity to do so. Not very helpful for the rest of us, but someone will pat you on the head and send you on your way because they have feelings too and know just how rough it can be. Yay…If it all boils down to logic, you shoot yourself in the foot. You don’t know anything, technically, and what you do know undermines your very being well before said being begins to use its logic. In comes the all-important context.

Maybe I just need to overcomplicate things in order to make them simple. I’m opening a business, right? I have these weird dreams and prospects. Does it matter if I die rich? If I became a notable humanitarian would the lives I influence amount to something “meaningful?” Be it 2 or 200 years after I’m gone, if some problem I rallied against in life is still rampant, how much respect am I supposed to give to my influence or ideals? For evil to prevail all it takes is that good men do nothing. But I don’t believe in evil! I believe there are things that destroy and hinder goals. Goals I have that can be described as fostering well-being or happiness in this species. But, my goals are, technically, arbitrary. They’re assumed in light of my context. Whether I want to help the poor or cure cancer, it’s all stemming from some primal urge to not feel bad. I can’t destroy my mirror neurons, nor can I forget what it’s like to fear or be angry at some injustice, so I’m hijacked to keep an eye out for “evil” as it manifests.

What happens when I put myself in a context that no longer fears or is angered by what is “supposed” to trigger me? What kind of people are the ones that don’t fear death? Martyrs, who can then do things like crash planes into buildings because “logically” it gets them and their extended family into heaven. What if you can no longer get angry at people for their proclivity to injustice; your empathy literally running out? Are you now lazy, uncaring, or maybe just exhausted and in need of a new cause?

We’re clay. We get molded by our experiences and the environment we’re subjected to. Maybe my mind goes to “dark” places because I know it is other people with minds exactly like mine that can do the things I haven’t been moved to. Maybe in order for things to matter they need to be shaped by your understanding of the symbiotic relationship between your thinking and feeling. Maybe I’m just stream of conscious-ing myself away from the point, which is to keeping putting things in the context of “what matters.”

I can have all the positive hopes and dreams for the world that have ever existed, and be working to enable them every day, and to the people who don’t understand, agree, or care that doesn’t matter. If I’m working for them, why am I qualifying it as something that matters? Because I’m so moral? Because I was put in such a gratifying position until it spilled over into not-so-heavily-masked compassion for other people? But I don’t believe in morals! I believe in means. So I just need to expand my context. I need to identify more squares on the game board. I’m just playing a game where those kinds of people exist and those kinds of problems can perhaps not be problems or not infect you and your style in the way they’re designed to. But again, that perspective, primarily, if not only, matters subjectively.

I think my biggest anchor resides in ridicule. For while these seemingly random and stream of consciousness blogs help me sleep at night, it’s way more fun to look back and go “you asshole, shut up and watch tv.” It just feels right to genuinely be interested in helping a problem, have it go on too long and switch gears, make fun of it and myself for my role in it, and then move onto the next one. I can only take myself seriously to the extent that what I say or do has perceivable consequences. The harder they are to see, the bigger I want to act. Maybe this is why I find it so hard to take others’ problems as seriously as they appear to be taking them. I just see someone who’s usually got good friends, good eats, and a place to live, and they remain locked in a mental battle. I see myself as someone who, if not immediately resolves an issue, finds peace with it through writing or discussion, while they make an issue the center of their life.


So what matters? My ability to make a big show and validate the idea that things happen and happen for reasons if that reason is only me and my intentions? A person’s center-of-their-universe problem, and their endless digressions analyzing every conceivable angle of it? At this point, it just seems like the very act of anchoring your mind in something is all that really matters. Quell the crazy by rooting it in less crazy. Or over-intellectualize and obfuscate the burden of denoting and defining crazy. Either way, you’re certainly doing as you think and feel while abstaining from what you “agree to disagree” (grrrr) about. It’s kept you safe enough so far.