Monday, October 10, 2011

[249] Overflow

I don’t want to live believing in things that aren’t there. I have too many ideas and dreams to count for my life and how I want to live it to leave any room for the mounts of shit that gum up the works. If we have a bullshit friendship, I’m either going to end it or marginalize it to the point of forgetting it until someone brings up your name. If there is no hope for my psyche and the business world to coexist, I will drive myself insane making sure that’s in fact the case.

I have a scarily dark view of this world. I use the word scary because it sometimes genuinely scares me the things I can argue, fairly persuasively, in favor of. I say dark because I sincerely feel like a cloud surrounds my head at times and gears all thoughts into a swirling chaos of irrelevance, uncertainty, and hopelessness. While I’m hardly dominated by these modes of thinking, they are never really hidden, ignored, or non-compelling.

I’ve said in the past that I don’t want to live in spite. I want instead to espouse ideals more than simply be the black to the white. Maybe I’m characterizing it wrong. Maybe my spite is the necessary “balance” to the shit I’m willing to take. Maybe my hatred isn’t me manifesting some personal evil or forgone conclusion about how my finally insane brain will need to express itself in order to prove a point or send a message. Maybe the “struggle,” as I’ve so characterized it, is the only way for things to ever really be.

For as much as I like to think I know, sometimes I don’t even give myself enough credit. I know people, who you pay money for a service, should do that job well and respect your time. I know they should answer their phones. I know you should find out the truth of your employees actions before you try to sweep their responsibility under the rug. I know that whenever you try to make your burden someone else’s problem, you disrespect their very life. Somehow we’ve enabled people to feeling entitled to continually pass on the responsibility.

I can’t take thinking I’m to blame for everyone’s fuck ups anymore. It’s not my fault the electrician put the electric box next to the plumbing system that may one day decided to clog and flood after explicitly telling me that someone coming to inspect the kiosk would “freak out” if they saw that. It’s not my fault for trying to like and trust in someone who with the flip of a switch can turn passive aggressive and adopt an “oh well” attitude. I do not need to take on the responsibility of feeling shitty when I’ve been trying to pursue a path that enables and celebrates instead of exploits while only having the pathetic tools (read people and policy) the world at large has given me to play with. My response to self-loathing indulgent bullshit is to try and calmly and deliberately dictate where and how things can change and then do everything in my power to show what the fuck that change looks like.

Fuck you for perpetuating a world that facilitates me getting like this. Fuck me for letting it in if even for a few hours. I’m not going to stop hating fucking idiots. I’m not going to stop railing against shitty work, shitty leaders, and shitty ideas. I know so goddamn much that it includes the source of what would drive me insane or psychopathic as well as what will always talk me down. You don’t even know how to respect yourself enough to give a damn. You don’t create, you don’t contribute, and you better fucking trust that one day I’ll make it so you won’t matter, and at the very least it won’t be at the exhaustion of my thoughts.