Sunday, October 5, 2008

[158] Benny Hin

I apologize in advance if part or all of this sounds redundant, but after watching a documentary on Benny Hin, I just got these overwhelming feelings of pity and fear.

One of the main things that bothers me about the religion and faith issue, is that no matter how hard I try to find the “good” that people keep talking about, I walk away feeling so troubled and frankly uneasy with what I see. Every time I try to offer the benefit of the doubt or grant a point for the sake of continuing a conversation, I feel like a massive train wreck is taking place. In my mind, religion is so absolutely alienated in its ignorance, corruption, hypocrisy, and outright delusion that I really do feel bad for people are apart of it. Most of these people have to pretend they hear a god talking to them, they have to wait, anxiety ridden, for some miracle to change their life. They have to deny and confuse the science that keeps them healthy. They have to feel guilty about how sinful they think they are. They feel obligated to contribute money, which they may not have. They get the same answers, use the same arguments, and experience the same roadblocks enlightened people overcame hundreds of years ago. Watching the faces of these people waving their arms together, struggling to get out of their wheelchairs (this one fat lady's face was gut wrenching), the retarded people getting petted and kissed by their families, all waiting for God's plan to include them getting better. This ridiculous notion of miracles. You know, miracles, the things that can range from surviving a surgery to being able to paint a house during the rainy season. Next time I get the toy I want in my happy meal, I suppose I should call that a miracle too.

Wouldn't you know that on the follow ups of the people falling to the ground after having been miraculously healed, they still had their illnesses, some alleged problems were contrived, and many just end up dieing like the doctors said they would. I mean to watch a mass of people, frankly pathetic people, all wishing and hoping and inciting is scary. And when I say pathetic, its for the multitude of reasons that brought them to where they are. I can understand wanting to believe in something, but your just plain fucking stupid, I don't care where your from or what you believe in, your plain fucking stupid if your being told one thing and irrefutably experiencing another. If your son dying of massive brain tumors, despite your last hope going to Benny Hin for a pat on the head, and you still trust the man and give him 2 grand a month that you don't have, your fucking stupid. People wonder why I say their feelings don't matter. It is situations like this that illustrate my view.

Your preachers, usually had troubled upbringing and had a knack for being creative or feeling certain things. They implement well known strategies to suggestible audiences which you can compare to both the Nuremberg rallies or football games. When questioned about their experiences they can openly admit to doubting whether its really God or just them. When questioned about specific evidences or history, a left turn is taken and they start to affirm everything they believe in conveniently losing the topic on some tirade. I guess it still doesn't matter that everything you induce at some rally or prayer meeting can be flicked on and off in a lab. Every last feeling can be produced with machines that understand you and trigger you, because it was made by people who cared to be smarter than you.

I guess, other than simply making another desperate plea to get informed, what I would ask you to do is to ignore whatever your hearing if you watch either the debates I've posted or some apologetic speech, and just watch their faces. If that can't convey to you more than all the bullshit they constantly push, and the information you readily ignore from me, then I'm out ideas.