Friday, March 15, 2013

[334] Windows Into Our Minds

It's infinitely humbling to read old rants. I hesitate to even dignify them as “blogs” as if that has a modicum of associated respect. I'm also starkly reminded that there's always something more to say. Every person that enters the conversation, every random interaction or some fight gives you an opportunity to be challenged and reflect. Probably the most amazing thing is how many times I read the words “I hate” or “fuck this or that” without feeling the kind of crippling emotions, at least persistently, that I might not be incorrect in saying, most of my friends seem to deal with.

That's what I wanted to tackle head on a few days ago. A drunk conversation that didn't really start because agreements were made to not have those kinds of conversations drunk, needed to end up somewhere. I don't think I'll ever do the talk about other peoples' sadness or stress well. I can listen or offer my perspective, but I feel like for all my cynicism and hatred, very little if none of it is self-directed. Yes, you can rest assured that if I say I hate you, I do just in fact, hate you for all the big and little shitty things you are. I didn't see something I didn't like in the mirror and say “someone needs to be told what a worthless fuck they are today.”

As with most genuine, large, institutional or intimately personal problems, I'm irrationally concerned about how little I think I can do to help. Literally, all I have is my “good will” towards the people I like. I know there are several feel good books out there that would suggest that just “being there” or some similar sentiment is all you may have to do to have the biggest impact on someone's life. If you'd like to believe this, then you have to start making decisions about how many people and to what extent you're going to be there. If you think this is kind of bullshit, then you just try to keep the happy times going with your friends and cross your fingers all the shit doesn't hit the fan at once.

Like, I've already written a blog pondering why everyone in my life, 4-5 years ago seemed angry, depressed, or anxious. For those of you not tracking my groups of friends, rest assured there's been a fairly large changeover, and I find myself again under a similar contemplation. Now you may congratulate me on my capacity for cynicism and despotic outlooks and finding such well-equipped crowds to indulge me, but that's incorrect and dickish. I'd rather see this as more confirmation that there's something larger going on psychologically and socially that isn't addressed or understood enough. I feel somewhat desperate to grasp this “large fucked up thing with our heads.”

I can only hope people aren't insulted or put-off in how I try to talk about it as well. I'm acquainted with the word depression, but I've only been able to engage with the darkest places it can take my friends fairly recently. My pop-sci answers or advice from high school “worked” in that no one I've engaged with ended up dead, which is hardly a reliable metric of success. I'm anxious because sometimes I genuinely don't know if I'm going to blurt out an obviously inappropriate epithet. That has nothing to do with the anxiety that makes you question every single social interaction you have and measure it against whether you should bother to continue to exist.

So then maybe I can finally offer my speculation on the ways and why's these pervasive and debilitating emotional states exist, and if any of them ring true, it could click with that one person who doesn't think I'm ridiculing them, calling them a liar, trying to undermine what they feel or have been through, or think I'm offering some definitive answer to what seems like some kind of evolving social virus only the blissfully naïve seem to be able to avoid.

Let's start wide then move specific. Overall, I think there's a huge familial and social institutional problem. I think modern conceptions or aftermaths of families left a lot of scars on people from my experience. I'm sure they only learned how to scar their children from the ways their parents scarred them. They of course were hurt by a turtle, and then it's turtles all the way down. There are cliches about not ending up like parents abound and who can't find a movie where someone is “shocked” they just did exactly what they swore would never happen to them. I took divorce as an opportunity for two Christmases. I've had people explain to me they'll never believe in love after their parents split.

Clearly, “looking back” and only feeling the pain of the relationships that have gone bad in your developmental years might be a predictor for how and whether you are close to people in the future.

I think we fail dramatically in the social institutional realm as well. I can't go a day without hearing what the “right” or “best” kind of ANYTHING to do or buy is. This goes doubly for relationships. The perfect boy or girlfriend does this for you, buys that for you, feels only these things and despite all odds love will conquer all. Also, before you get to deal with your relationship, you have to look a certain way, feel a certain way, be into the cool new things of the day, and sit at the bar society has raised for you. Every corner is a chance to not be good enough, smart enough, or acne-free enough.

I don't think it's a very conscious thing, but by the rule of “practice makes permanent,” I have to think reinforcing shitty ideas about yourself or the world you live in doesn't beget positive feelings or insight into wellness. But that's the thing, it's always reinforced. Your friends will tell you you're doing well because they don't “feel they have the right” to speak about something “they don't know enough about.” Yes, things like a shitty relationship. But who told you that friends can't “obtain rights to more information about people willing to share with you?” It took years of my “prying” into peoples' lives before I just became “that guy” and people opened up presumably because I didn't shatter the world with their information.

So fuck our shitty families and fuck the people telling us things with their fucking agendas and consequence blindness. Great.

Another wide view institutional failure is how we react when we clearly recognize things are wrong. Just take meds! Of course in the modern age you can play with your brain chemicals and all will be well in a few weeks. Just keep taking your meds of course, or we might have to face the real significance and nature of the problem. For those who can't or won't take meds, I don't blame you, there's your not-a-doctor friends doing everything they can to remind you of why you should be happy or not anxious. Or worse, they don't believe there's even a problem and carry on like it's a phase or like a bad cough. And what is the afflicted person do then? I bet they don't feel motivated to “bring down their friends” with their problems.

Some people can talk things out. Some people can run for miles and find clarity or at least distraction. Sometimes the medicine actually works. None of these kinds of “solutions” explain or speak to why so many suffer to begin with.

As always, the best I can do with my opinionated, angry toned rants is try to start a conversation. I need as many inputs, as are relevant, to paint a picture that hopefully people can learn from. When I look at the angry or immature things I've written, I still think there's no substitute for just laying it all out there. You don't want citations and rationality when you're explaining how shitty the fights are with your ex-girlfriend, but if you describe the situation in the same words years later, you might not have learned anything. When peoples' pain is expressed today, it's glamorized and commercialized; equated with an exhaustive list of pseudo-real problems. You're expected to “frame” yourself. Make what you feel and do presentable. Ludicrous.

When you get specific, you've got every variation of the big problems as you have personalities. The happiest and saddest person you know could be the same person. People who are merely stressed or going through a tough time hijack the language and blur the lines between “sometimes I want to die” and “all the time, sometimes I want to die.” Sometimes you just really like to smoke weed, sometimes you don't know how you'd function “dealing with it all” without it. I wish I could recite the laundry list of things I've known people to self-medicate with, but I imagine you have a fair idea already. Can you blame them? When and why is it worth bumping the pot-head up to problem smoker?

For me, I just see them as bandages. But who's cursing a bandage for not giving the body a chance to fix itself? I certainly can't pretend to know someone else's mind, but if my concern was for more than myself, I'd want to talk about the big problems and whether there's potential for big solutions, not just go numb to it all. No, I am not trying to equate depression or anxiety medication with drugs. Nor do I necessarily expect people to look beyond themselves if what they're suffering from makes them unable to do so. I just want to separate lazy entitled bitching and indulgence from genuine pain.

And, as always, for me the best thing to counteract the waves of self-loathing and drama is to get out in front of it all. I still don't know if it doesn't work for other people because of different personality types or for lack of effort. Before I get too involved in hating or criticizing myself, it just seems easier and worthwhile to point the finger at as many obvious targets or responsible parties as possible. But mostly, I don't want you to suffer. I don't want you to feel like there's no one to talk to or no one willing to spend the time. While I'm not in your head, here's me prying open mine, take anything you like.