Saturday, November 24, 2012

[314] As Straightly As I Can Put It Up There

 To be, or not to be, those are the inclinations. I feel for like an exceedingly long time, I’ve had every topic under the sun actively on my mind, with no real way to approach them. But, alas a moment of clarity ensued, and in a stout matter-of-factness, I’ll begin exploring.

I think there’s an undeniable psychological impact tied to money. Look back not 2 or 3 blogs ago and I’m sure (maybe) I’ve made reference to or status about having $10 in the bank and slowly picking away at the cans of salt to eat in the pantry. Fast forward with a part time job and side jobs, I feel like the king of the slums; this even more so because I don’t have any debt.

I think about the projects I want to do in the future and the potentially sickening amount of money it would take to do them well. Then I think about the bureaucracy and greed that positions money into the hands of powers with concerns deliberately antithetical to mine. Then I think of the little rays of sunshine meant to boost or disguise actual moods or perspectives trying to reinforce that the world is still good from time to time. Then I inevitably get stuck thinking about time, and how maddeningly long it takes to change things even and though they will always eventually.

Then I try to scale problems up and down. Will I run into a lack of data, a bad philosophy, a saboteur, the cash runs out, the timing is off, or did too many players break too many legs? Should I focus on how I feel? How I fit? How it translates? What I thought going into it? Is it my perspective or intention that matters? Is it my message or what people do with it? Is it either/or, and if not why have I resolved myself to something so obscure?

I rely on cause and effect. Just as being broke was my choice, an inevitability of listening to the sick feeling in my gut at the idea of applying to be told to ring out drunks and move boxes from one end of the room to another, taking the cash and “stumbling” into various other opportunities were choices as well. I haven’t cured what I feel; I simply pick what I’m going to do about it.

I’m not necessarily worried, but I think this is going to get me in a bit of trouble. When I stop feigning a concern for the consequences, well, practice something long enough…I feel I will be more explicit in petty things and more aggressive in things that matter. The trouble is simply picking up all the ruffled feathers.

I think I’ve adopted the ultimate freedom in “winging it.” I’ve been trying to analogize this for weeks. Absolute control of reckless abandonment. Steering the stream sweeping you along. Resolved to the infinitely possible. Real hippie shit, right? But in a weird way, I feel I give myself more room to wiggle by constraining myself to different aspects of my previously peripheral worlds. I don’t know if they felt so suffocating because they’d grown unfamiliar, or if I hadn’t had a chance to experience them with the hat of new experience. Reliably, I don’t feel complacent.

The idea of an “infinite consequence” intrigues me. It would hint at a purpose, maybe even a soul. I think some of my moral sensibilities stem from a concern with this idea. Why I sneak in a good deed for a random stranger from time to time. Why I’d like to believe I’m only corruptible to a certain point. I wonder if there are real capacities and propensities more than just probabilities. Are we doomed to be stupid and evil and inventing new ways to draw cartoons face palming? Or is that just the most likely from the context? I’m so disturbed by context.