Thursday, November 15, 2012

[312] Land Hooooooo

I will say this as concisely and honestly as I can. I do not seek to judge, I do not pretend to have all or perfect knowledge, and I am not after a fight. I’m writing after many conversations and avenues of feedback, and matching those against my own observations. I hope before feathers are ruffled a conversation can be had, and if it is shown that a ship may be headed in the wrong direction, we can steer it back.

I feel the group dynamic changing. My current theory is that it boils down to how the boys treat the girls. I think there’s a lot of side bar conversations about what someone feels verses where the other person is coming from or if there’s just some over thought or insecurity playing into things. But, ultimately I think those pale in comparison to a kind of respect that seems to be slowly eroding.

I’ve got it in me to be as big a perv as the best of them. Lately though, I find myself turned off to how I hear girls in general talked about, or the endless awkward encounters they seem to find themselves in when relating to our group. I think there is a distance being put between our girl friends’ feelings and the sort of “we’re so hot” persona. Whether it’s an in-group out-group thing related to climbing or fitness, I don’t know.

I can see an overzealous attitude or misplaced confidence push “the group” apart. Particularly when it comes to roping in our girls as one’s in a queue in between Okcupid hookups. I feel like there has been a steadily increasing creepy factor that shrouds the guy/girl interactions. Whether it’s Asher-esc touching where no touching need be, or lingering hugs and deep breaths just because someone’s going to bed or entered the room, there’s a subtext. It’s like Mad Men, enter a room, pour a drink, invite someone into the room, and pour another drink; I’m hammered just watching before 10 am.

I now worry about introducing new people into the group. Where once I was ridiculously proud and interested in what a new cool personality would do around a bunch of cool people, I’m significantly more worried about “the sharks circling.” If I say “hey, I messaged Jen and brought her around” the awkward what-the-hell-are-you-talking about response is to say your percentage match is higher or you’ve spent more time texting or making out with her. I’m not trying to compete, I didn’t message her to eventually fuck, and that gets kind of lost when everyone’s initial response is to caveman the conversation to some level of “dibs.”

I’m concerned because I think the people most likely to pick up on the how and why things are changing are the same one’s we don’t see around as often. I’ve at least been the asshole long enough who can watch and predict that if shit got too wrong I could cut ties and go about my day. But the nice people and the emotionally involved people or the willing to make excuses for you/us people aren’t even up to it anymore.

Confidence, a concern for your health or appearance, and even a good group of friends are no substitute for humility. I don’t even want to pretend like I’m trying to point fingers because I can conjure a good ten reasons, for each of our friends, completely outside what’s been witnessed or talked about that can speak towards how different things have played out. The only “secret” to getting along with people or having a satisfying sex life that I wish wouldn’t get lost is a sense of honesty and respect for how you’re spending that time and who you’re doing it with.