Saturday, October 6, 2012

[306] Quintessentially Mew

I’m going to hesitate using the word “soul” a dozen times while writing this I’m sure.

I think there is a potential for an individual in anyone. An unfortunate problem with this potential is that they can choose to define their individual in terms completely opposite of what I would consider a healthy or optimal form. Why would I advocate for people becoming individuals in the first place? Why should you be persuaded that the case I make for me, and that you should be you is even valid? Maybe their definitions are simply more nuanced or a different kind of true than what you think I have to offer. Maybe you find yourself so much better to connect and empathize with one of their senses of individuality that you can’t even begin to connect with mine.

I think there are calculable and reliable methods for why my conception of individual is better than theirs. What is “their” conception? What rules do they follow? Someone can easily describe themselves as traditional; wife, kid, 2 car garage, steady job. There is absolutely no problem in wanting these things. There is nothing inherently wrong with these things. I certainly wouldn’t mind some kind of relative version of most of these types of things. No matter how many times I may argue on behalf of these things, seemingly in line with “their” position, I’m still asking why.

The main rule of what I will call “the off individual” or “off person” is a habit of doing for the sake of doing. When questioned why, the answer is because. When pressed, it’s a choked yet at the same time screamed “because that’s I want, that’s who I am, and it’s none of your business.” The off person isn’t necessarily a dumb person. It’s one thing to accidentally light your balls on fire, twice, and it’s another to live moment to moment in a sort of haze or kind of angst.

My individual is, in a very important sense, very boring, and in another, the most interesting person you could ever talk to. They exist in a realm where nothing is off limits, you can always change, but you can always tell that no matter where they’ve been or where they’re going, you are talking to them. You’re not talking to who their parents wanted them to be. You’re not talking to their fear of being lonely. You’re not talking to their uncertainty of the future. And you’re certainly not talking to your own judge, jury, and executioner.

They’re boring because things simply happen and they try to understand and navigate them. They’re the most interesting person you could ever talk to because of how they came to that understanding. They gain a perspective that becomes impossible to ignore and naturally compels change. They speak with enthusiasm that, were it not to come from habit, would be exhausting. There are people who just are so intently that you have to be drawn in. They rob you of the choice, and that’s okay with you. These people tell you your story through their eyes.

I’m crushed when people lose their ability to become these kinds of people. In that sense, college has been one of the most disappointing periods. I have the window into myself in the relationships I keep. I look much further beyond “he can be fun at a party” as to why we got along. There are a number of people who I’ve had or consistently have the best conversation I could be having in that moment. And then often enough they disappear. They don’t move or get too busy, “they” disappear.

There’s a responsibility to being my kind of individual. You have to understand the difference between describing what people are, and judging the shit out of them to try and feel good about yourself. It’s taking someone else’s “quirks” and understanding them to be a part of that person, not always an opportunity to pigeon-hole their entire being. You have to realize that the person I talked to for hours, or saw smiling the entire time during some sexy soiree is the one I believe when you’re describing yourself. When you start to sound like a romantic drama or off-shoot of the American dream, I’m doubtful. Life is more nuanced. As a person living one, I’m desperate for your character.

When people cut off me or my group, I’m concerned. I can’t think of a time in my life when I’ve been prompted to be more open and honest about anything with anyone. The overwhelming “who gives a fuck” nature of my group is less a genuine lack of concern and more an “I’m happy if you’re happy.” We may describe situations and people in deliberate or crass terms, but you can bet there’s a level of honesty that actually wants to get to the bottom of how or why they’d describe something in that way. The sometimes overt sexual stuff is just fluff. Fun fluff, but it’s not a group of people who needs to bust out into an orgy a day to keep boredom away.

So why wouldn’t someone want to be included? Well, it’s off putting to talk about things you’ve deemed off limits. It’s easy to read way too far into a few personalities or past situations. You’ve not only turned yourself off to understanding this group of people who, I would argue can have a humongous positive impact on your life, but also the opportunity to actively engage in the conversation on what may need to change or seems wrong to you. To exist in a group dynamic like ours, you are lost without a strong sense of self. You become uneasy, bored, judgmental, and confused. I know, because this is how I feel when I’m stuck around a group of “normal people.”

And it’s not like I’m butt hurt that “nobody wants to be my/our friend.” I don’t think someone needs to step in and validate some personality. I’m concerned about the people who flirt with the group. Who spent maybe years flickering or cracking open doors that were infinitely interesting, that drew you in, until one day they’re unceremoniously shut with nary a nod they ever existed. If they were once willing, what changed? If they once had stories and unstoppable thoughts, and this intriguing perspective, and shared it and good times were had, why is it gone now? They turned off. And if they just went dead to you, why’d they even bother in the first place?

It’s why I have a hard time perpetually “hating” or trying to cut off people that I’ve even once genuinely enjoyed their time. That’s their capacity. I know it. They can’t lie to me. It’s why I keep a relatively small facebook contact list. If I don’t feel an obligation, if I wouldn’t spend my time, if I had nothing to say to you, your being, your perspective, your soul, I wouldn’t be fucking talking! What were you doing with me? Is it really that interesting to talk with someone because of their hair and ability to say fuck a lot? I doubt it. So what did you see? What looked like you or what you might want to be? What might you have to teach?

The goal isn’t to learn how to run away from things that make you feel uncomfortable. The goal isn’t to blame. The goal is to tear down every excuse until you can just be, just talk, just accept, until the baseline you has enough reason to adapt to something else. I don’t care if people feel they need to grow up or become obligated with other things, I care if they treat the person they’ve shown themselves to be like it doesn’t exist. Like the time spent with me or my friends was “just another party” or “who I was in college.” I don’t like being written off like I wasn’t trying. I don’t want to watch sparks get domesticated, lazy, and complacent. Bad ideas are never named when you don’t allow the voice to challenge them. Convention can crush your soul. And the idea that I would be sadder about that than you is horrifying.