Monday, July 16, 2012

[291] Abstraction Distraction Attraction Reaction

I need to better define so as not to get lost in abstraction.

My basic needs are met, so in a way I’ve peaked. I can say that I don’t think you need to know strife and pain to appreciate being perpetually comfortable. I think strife and pain come out of boredom or when intellectual needs are not met. Whether it is working through a difficult problem or just a compelling distraction, engaging the mind seems to be one of humanity’s biggest projects. I’m currently interested in the “why” people pick the veins they do. I need to find a better definition for what I try to justify doing, because currently I’m doing relatively dick.

Patterns are my best friend and potentially worst enemy. How I choose to define something says everything about what role that thing will or won’t play in my future. If something is “just a job” I will sound and behave like someone who just wanders about town just doing jobs for petty cash. If something is “too big to be handled correctly/currently” by myself, it gets filed away like most of the problems I concern myself with. If something fundamentally feels like “spinning my wheels” or an “empty gesture” I may come across as disrespectful or non-caring.

I understand that it’s all a matter of what you work towards, the perspective you force your brain to have, or the La La Land you can trap yourself in. What I perceive are people who are comfortable enough. They have “a job.” They have “a significant other” or “their friends.” They are filled with “their opinions” and they’ve served them long enough to get the things “they want.” This system or pattern or basic M.O. makes me uncomfortable. Not the healthy skeptical level of discomfort, but the “maybe I should re-evaluate my entire charge in life and thoughts about people” kind.

It bugs me because this propensity in people may speak to something absolutely fundamental and absolutely overlooked by me. And I still may not have a way to define it that makes sense to me. I look at the opinions of the optimists. They say things like “when things get to the point of ultimate shittiness, that’s when we’ll do our best.” Or they’ll go on about how technology will save us all. Some just site all the historical examples of how we’ve managed to not go extinct or take their perspective of time and take for granted “one day and one way or another” things will look just as desperate and terrible then as they do now and we’ll “overcome” if only our imminent denial of the current problems.

To what end? I always go back to this. The only time in my life I’ve felt that loss of self in being so uber motivated is when I thought I had “all the answers” or at least “the best and most reliable” method for bringing about what was correct and true into the world. It was fundamentally coming from a position of naivety. The more I argued, the more I learned, the less people around me cared or knew what I was talking about. The intellectual leaders I went to seemed content to rehash the same speeches and move on to their next book. Then I get my view shaped more by brain and social science. I become disillusioned by how easy and quick it is to get lost in semantics and connotation. I decide friends are better to have than a fight. Then, boom, one day I kind of stop giving a shit after 3 ½ years.

The only steady parameter I have in life right now is to maintain a basic level of comfort. When I have the tools to endeavor into something new, I will do so, and I will treat it as a game. Everything I do has a flavor of superficiality and it’s not intentional. I know everything I change can be changed back. I know the story in my head is never the one someone is going to receive exactly as I tell it to myself. I know that most people are mostly concerned with themselves and what makes them comfortable. That comfort can be reached infinitely more ways and by infinitely easier methods than I may prescribe. But it all feels empty; logically and honestly empty. “Mattering” simply becomes the extent to which you can argue something does. My problem is that I appear to have nothing to argue that doesn’t feel like mental masturbation.

So much of the world seems self-evident to me that I’m losing that passion to keep saying the same things over and over. I’m not feeling like I have anything to prove. My justifications aren’t for you so they remain as explanations of me. The irony of knowing you can do everything and then feeling like you’re doing nothing. Simply knowing that the “everything” and “nothing” go as far as you’re willing to see them is the whole point. All you can do is ground your decisions in feelings; taking cues from your environment. How lucky to not be in complete control over how we feel…right?