Saturday, May 5, 2012

[280] More On That Now

Keeping the lid on our reality is paramount. It’s not simply about trying to be happy. If you genuinely don’t care you isolate or kill yourself. Finding a ground that hopefully you’ve dictated is the goal. You don’t at that point have to deal with too much freedom. You get to make predictions about the future that feel gratifying. You get to feel engaged and like you’re contributing. It’s a positive feedback loop and process that is all tied up into the word “perspective.”

I think it’s easy to forget that it’s an infinitely small perspective, and in being as such it has implications for how we treat each other. To a certain extent, you have to figure out every new person you meet. You’re lucky if you still get to figure out people you already know for years on end and not because you’re coping with their drama. We’re all going to act in basically intelligible ways, let’s just not underestimate the word basic. In that sense, things can make sense in thought and theory, but not translate into a sense of action or even true empathy.

So when you look at a relationship or becoming obsessed about school or work or whatever, those become your grounding. It’s not you relating with someone on the idea and nature of your relative mediums. Well, what’s the difference? And have I even stated the issue clearly?

Your perspective is an investment. It’s a predictor. The very agendas you hold closest to your heart 10 years from now will be the result of the investments you do or don’t make today or have made before. At that level, it at least continues to feel free in your perpetuating or abstaining from some activity. But what happens when no one thing can work for you any longer? What if you allow yourself to be hijacked by ideas that can’t be nailed down? Say your goal becomes “justice.” Well you’ve just given yourself a number of options and surface contradictions that perhaps only you can arbitrate.

Is it better to be grounded? To me, I think the idea of grounding and engaging in it from time to time can be helpful, healthy, and important for developing a philosophical position, but I think there’s certainly something to my will that flirts with losing my own and stripping it from under others. What if you try to ground in “love” as evidenced by your maintained relationship or family? How many people have a solid definition of love to begin with, let alone would find themselves espousing it in the situation they’re working so hard to maintain?

With my small perspective, I can feel and know I’ve the potential to do or say just about anything. I know my will is free and constrained. I know I can be evil or righteous. I can live basically peacefully with people I more than a little think are trying to kill me and add stress to my life. I can plot out the CSI style investigation before I never do that thing you said I did and you all have my alibi. I can envision an “enlightened” future resting partly on the back on my effort. To the greater extent, I don’t feel grounded. I have my style and wits about me, but I don’t feel comfortable in picking my subject, my mate, or solitary goal.

I find myself in the ongoing conversation. It’s when I try to forward an idea or illicit a reaction. My toolbox is ideas and there are certain ones that overwhelmingly win out when it comes to characterizing me or my behavior. If I’m always doubting or judging or forming and reforming, the potential for negative consequences from destabilization are always there, but why don’t they win? Cus God made me moral, right? Haha.

My feedback loop is grounded in the complex web of feelings and explored thoughts which on the inspection of any one layer you can find a single instance of something “good” or “bad” or “me.” But if and when they can work together, it’s the absolution of all 3. I think the good news is that when you do this, the positives, practically or mentally, seem to massively outweigh the negatives. At least as they manifest currently. I still haven’t reacted violently to violent impulses. I still don’t attack commitments for sport. I manage to not debase myself for cheap thrills at the expense of some potential for more.

To that end, I think being grounded and set in your ways is extremely dangerous. Saying ‘how things are” without qualifying “only just now” can prescribe a very painful and dramatic future. If we’re going to have the temerity to speculate on the nature of existence or our place in it, how can we look for truth in anything more than the pools of freely flowing ideas? That is, what can we ever say for sure other than that things change? It seems if we’re ever going to understand the nature of things, it’s in describing that change. From there you can maybe hope to manifest intentioned consequences. Whatever that means.