Sunday, August 17, 2008

[120] Take The Good With The Bad

Sunday, August 17, 2008 at 2:09am

For the life of me if I come across another one of these “This is my first moment trying to be deep” blogs with fifteen “omg omg omg I never knew you were so insightful!” comments I'm going to shit.

Here's my problem. It isn't that these kids are finally thinking, or at least thinking “out loud” for others to agree with. It isn't even really that others feel “inspired” or uplifted by the blog. My problem is that I can't find a single stitch of something that feels personal, original, or really coming from that daunting place in that persons head.

“Life has its ups and downs, and all we can do is try to stay as happy as possible.”

I've read damn near 5 versions of this sentence, some paragraphs long, followed by a congregation of comment applause and tears. I'd like to use my No Shit stamp before the comma, and for the latter, a question. Do you have any clue how much more can be said about happiness, and the pursuit thereof, that isn't summed up so nicely in your overtly cliché and empty adage? I think what really gets to me the most isn't the tepid self-help book words, but how quick and easy the readers fall in line. I'm bothered that these people don't find themselves thinking as “deeply” as what they've just read. I'm amazed at how much time can be spent flapping about the awesomeness of new babies and lilies in the field, and the “bad stuff” is just that. A little bone thrown to the idea that the world is just as shitty as always despite today you feeling like its the best place ever. When happiness comes at the shunning, and almost complete disregard for reality, I'm annoyed.

“I wonder why that distended* stomach kid doesn't swat that the flies in his eyes....O what a beautiful sunset!”

This is all that mantra teaches. I don't think enough people are getting angry. I want more people to have an opinion that wasn't handed down to them by parents or a required reading book. Become cognizant of the fact of objectivity and form real opinions that stand for something because you know they're right and don't just feel good going down. I just got done ranting about girls not getting treated well in relationships. I wonder if they have a set understanding of what “good” and “bad”
really mean to themselves before they end up in a relationship. I'm sure there's an abundance of “relationships can be tough, if you really love the person yada yada bullshit.”

Did you know when gas went to 80 instead of 40 cents per gallon, people rioted in the streets all over the country? What's happening in our society? There's talks of restricting and policing the Internet. There's the patriot act. Some people are getting chips implanted in them. Religious fanatics are ready send us to God. Our fucking atmosphere is getting destroyed, and our ice caps our melting. Species are going extinct at insane rates; species that can provide cures to the panoply of diseases that are set to wipe out the human race. And all the while people can barely work out the fight they're having with their boyfriend over where to go on Valentine's Day.

I say be constantly aware of the downs in the proverbial ups and downs of life and make yourself sick over them. How can you grow as a person only using half of the equation for life? What happens when all you ever are is maddeningly positive and disillusioned of your circumstances? My first thought is an extremely naive religious person. You know “hehe, God will fix it, sit pretty and pray...” those types. Meanwhile the world remains in shambles. You don't appreciate the significance of something by noting it in the margin of your ever-so-pleasant world view.

Please stop getting in lines to swallow your spoonfuls of life. Stop ignoring the real starting points of insight.
Updated about 3 months ago

Julie Ann Stelzer (Merrillville Senior High School) wroteat 2:48am on August 17th, 2008
How's this for insightful... 'You're an ass.' What makes you think that people care anymore about your opinions than you do about theirs and their insights?? Huh??
Report - Delete



Nick P. wroteat 2:51am on August 17th, 2008
They may not, I'll try to refrain from tearing up.
Delete



Julie Ann Stelzer (Merrillville Senior High School) wroteat 2:58am on August 17th, 2008
Unless you are planning on personally repairing the ozone, curing world hunger, and fixing our corrupted govt, my suggestion to you is to lighten up. Do what u can to help but its not something one or even a handful of people can fix in a blink of an eye. Dont lose sleep over something that is quite frankly, out of your control. Stop and smell the flowers my friend. Help where you can but dont forget to live your own life along the way.
Report - Delete



Nick P. wroteat 3:17am on August 17th, 2008
Ah, then perhaps you may understand where I see the real problem. "No single rain drop thinks it is responsible for the flood." We're good at contributing to disaster and then trying to hide. I conversely want this to work in a positive direction. I don't believe people can get to the mental point necessary to tackle humanity's issues by sedating their thoughts with cliches and comforting speeches. That's all my thing is.

We've never really hung out, but while my writing might not reflect it, I assure you I'm quite light in the heart.
Delete



Billy Bowman (Bloomington, IN) wroteat 8:51am on August 17th, 2008
'There's talks of restricting and policing the Internet.' Thankfully the FCC shot down bandwidth restrictions. And did you mean distended stomach kid? I think if someone had a distilled stomach.. uh.. well nevermind

I know how you feel about these silly people thinking they'rer deep, but at least they are thinking. About nothing mind you, and coming to all the wrong conclusions, but it is a start.
--on a random note, my power just blinked off, but by the grace of the Firefox 3 programmers, my response was saved when i finally powered my computer back on and started up Firefox--
'Take the good with the bad' isn't a brilliant philosophy, it's a fact of life. There is good and there is bad in the world, if you don't take them together, you're fucked. The only way to avoid it would be to kill yourself... which i wouldn't mind happening with the great majority of people.
The real problem is when people do start thinking, they get satisfied with themselves, they think they've figured something out, and they stop, when in reality, they've figured nothing out. And even if they had, why stop thinking? There's some more of that good with the bad.. sure, they started thinking.. but they stopped..
Ah well i could go on an on but i'll start repeating myself no doubt, and facebook is about to throw on it's comment limit..
Report - Delete



Nick P. wroteat 12:04pm on August 17th, 2008
That's basically it Mr. Bowman. It's almost as if thinking is abused to make yourself happy, then put on the back burn as if the burden is too great, or no reason is left, to go on. You said the only way to avoid taking the good with the bad is to kill yourself, and I think that's exactly what's happening. I struggle to find informed personal opinions and insights. The abilities for honest introspection and accountability appear all but dead. I don't even expect these people to be brilliant philosophers you know? I just wish that if your going to travel a road, you come prepared with perhaps reading of the "brilliant" philosophers or reflections on a trying situation. Why sound obvious and typical?
Delete



David M.L. Jaffe wroteat 2:10pm on August 17th, 2008
From a economic standpoint (I sure do view things in that way a lot), you must remember, blogging is becoming a HUGE trend. It's turning into "do it or you're lame." Not only that, but there's people blogging just for the sake of money. They spew out bullshit they don't believe in, or chances are in this case, don't even understand, stick some advertisements on it, and hope that they make some money, which they won't. So then they stop, bye bye fake deep thoughts.

Then we have the people who are truly TRYING to think deep, but just fail, the people you were talking about I presume. In my opinion, they're realizing how shitty the world is becoming, and want to give themselves false hope, or even try to show themselves off when they really have nothing. They think "well I'm depressed, I'll think of ways to fix the world," or "shit, I'll turn religious and pray to God for the lulz." They'll believe they're geniuses, and brag about it on blogs. Deep thinking in this aspect is just fucking ridiculous. It's like faking your thoughts (does that happen to be a sin? If so, then IRONY!!)

With that said, it's hard to say exactly how to think deep. IMO, it's like something you just need to discover how, kind of like how the religious ones say to "become enlightened." I have my deep thought situations once in a great while. I don't really know how it happens, it just does. And I don't brag about them, I just kind of think "huh, that's a pretty sweet idea," and go on with my life.

The really big problems in the world... I honestly think it's too late to save them. Unless the worlds greatest minds can join up and research and think. Which will probably lead to arguments over which country has the better mind, related to what you said about people fighting over stupid things.

Summed up, it just seems people are becoming more and more fake. That's all there is to it.
Report - Delete



David M.L. Jaffe wroteat 2:11pm on August 17th, 2008
P.S. Off topic: You had a bit more room to go Bowman :p. I'm moving in on Friday, lets get some food that weekend, as you're already there.
Report - Delete



Billy Bowman (Bloomington, IN) wroteat 2:15pm on August 17th, 2008
Yea i guess i did.. haha, i just got so used to it kicking in when i'm commenting on Nick's posts that i was expecting it.. and sure, food sounds good.