Tuesday, August 5, 2008

[117.156] I'm Still Rather Scared

Tuesday, August 5, 2008 at 10:06pm

I just read this note talking about the unnamed thing that either is or isn't supposed to happen as dictated through God's will. In either event, this gentleman finds that God isn't making either potential reality obvious. The note goes on to say that one of his friends were called by God to church planting, which later was revised and went to a larger scale. What reason does this gentleman give for their success and stature? They just willingly followed. It wasn't their preparation or decision making apparently. He says something revealing in the next line when he decides to follow their example and not worry or fret about anything until God decides to show him more. I don't just make things up when I say religion makes people complacent and lazy. He says that now he doesn't have to fret. I think that there is a different kind of fear that hits people when they are uncertain and confused, and while I could be wrong, I think this is the kind of fear that stifles many lives into remaining complacent. He's safer and more secure staying in a bubble of potential Godly decisions than he is flailing around finding his own way. This doesn't bother anybody but me?

What if we take this approach to everything in life? “I'm waiting on God to tell me if I should lose the weight.” “I'm praying ever so hard for an answer to global warming and how to save the cute little polar bears.” “Does God want me to be a doctor or go on a mission trip to Cambodia?” Yes, complacency is dangerous, and while I tire of using the word, I can't find something more appropriate. This is an outright denial of the simple fact that your decisions influence your life. The definition of zero progress and zero growth. Any time I think I'm taking it too hard on the religious, I now know I can read one blog and be overwhelmed and re-motivated to speak out again.

David M.L. Jaffe wroteat 11:42pm on August 5th, 2008
People rely on God way too much for their problems, which I also find disturbing.

My girlfriend's mom works at a church in Iowa. They've been helping flood victims for months. When FEMA said they could let victims use trailer homes from them, the crew at the church said it was God's doing. Then FEMA decided to take them back a few days later. The church people said nothing. I found it funny.

Short note, yet raises a very good point.