Tuesday, July 10, 2012

[290] Open Source Manipulation

You should be able to talk about anything. My favorite topics are religion, relationships, and “real life.” All of which I hope to intertwine in a beautiful web of thought now. Stand back and be amazed.

I’m a manipulator. What it means to be a manipulator is to not come off as trying to manipulate. It’s the soul, deliberate spelling, rule. If they see what you’re doing, unless you deliberately made them see it, you’re doing it wrong. As a manipulator, I’m very sensitive to other people trying to manipulate. Mostly, because they do it horribly wrong. A fun fact about the manipulation game is that it is open to everyone to play. You can see the strings as easily as me. You can play the same cards because we all hold a complete deck.

My claim of manipulation gives me a very particular perspective on what it means to call something “real life.” I see the life I can infer about you. I hear what you tell me. I find out what other people feel about you and me. But mostly, I endlessly doubt that any of it is the complete story. To claim an informed perspective, it means I need to have one seemingly “beyond” or “outside” yours. There’s the natural one we have via our specific histories. Then there’s the one you choose to have to actively or passively shape your world. I like to err on the side of an active shaping.


Actively shaping involves honesty and responsibility most of all. Therefore, when I see people who passively get shaped, I’m skeptical of how honest or responsible they are being, namely with feelings. What are some topics that are just utterly feeling laden? You guessed it; religion and relationships. Interestingly enough, people tend to claim a lot of active shaping while being all but slaves to the various consequences of their beliefs and people in their lives. The shape this problem takes is…tricky.

Apparently, there are some people who are utterly terrified to talk religion with me. I use the word terrified because they must have a genuine fear that I could talk them out of their beliefs. Otherwise, offering such a sentiment wouldn’t really make sense. If you have undying faith, well, I gave up arguing rational verses irrational a long time ago, so you’ve nothing to fear. If you claim to be reasonable, then we both know going into it that I’m, if not persuasive, very likely to make you think, and likely not in the direction you wish to currently. The only real problem is your ability to be honest and cope.

Where’s this ego come from? Trick question, it isn’t about my ego or what I feel when making my argument. In the same way that I could get in a car, and subsequently run you over, is how I would deliver my message. Nothing about how you feel or think about cars that contradicted their capacity to run you over would matter. That’s how logic is supposed to work. When it doesn’t work, you move out of the way and tell me a god whispered in your ear to do so.

That ability to see things magically is dangerous. The inability to grasp the confluence of forces and influence the world has on you, and you have on it back, arrests and degrades your potential. Your relationship to a god is the exact same as your relationship to anything else. It’s an idea first. Ideas are intertwined. Ideas overlap. One bad idea can spark another bad idea and pollute aspects of good ideas. If you’re not willing to work on solidifying how to denote and be responsible for your good and bad ideas, I think this is a bad thing.

The expectations that come along with ideas seem to be the problem. We all feel them. We don’t all put them where they need to go. If you go into a relationship and you have all these ideas about love or boyfriends and girlfriends or the magic of a blessed union, how long do you think it takes to feel the first pains of anxiety? When do you start to realize that something just isn’t right? Is it the first fight? Is it what you whisper to yourself during the times that are supposed to be special? Is it amidst the regret of not getting something else? Not learning facts or caring to acknowledge human behavior can do that to you.

That’s why I’m persuasive. I know your fear. I know your anxiety. I know that when I’m having a conversation about god, I’m not really speaking to the intellectual stopping point of “well you can never actually prove otherwise.” I’m speaking to your emotionality. I’m speaking about the relationships you may damage. I’m thinking about the fear of reevaluating yourself or the fear of being alone. You don’t care how much I know about the bible or science stuff. You didn’t come for a history lesson or digression of logical fallacies. Well, you didn’t come at all, but that’s the incorrect sentiments you think I care about when talking with you.

When you make excuses, I’m concerned. When you’re afraid or angry the same thing applies. When you can’t talk about anything, I’m convinced you have a problem; an addiction to bullshit maybe, or phobia of self-exploration. Granted, I’m speaking to the habits of excuses, anger, and fear. It’s one thing to get into a heated discussion, it’s another to be perpetually put off from addressing something or creating problems where none need exist. I’m happy to adjust myself if you disagree with the language, but don’t use that as an excuse to run from the subject matter.

And isn’t that how religion, relationships, and “real life” are dealt with? This is all I’ve known, don’t attack it, because then you’re just an asshole. This is who I love so you could never understand it, you’re just a fool for even trying. This is what I’m afraid of and how dare you throw it in my face like I don’t have a protective unbreakable bubble. MOOOOM, HE’S BREAKING MY BUBBLE!

Working yourself out of a faith-based mindset takes time. Working yourself into a healthy relationship takes time. Mulling over shit like dying and failure and fear will consume a fair amount of head-space. I understand things to be a process with many layers. The more you unpack those layers, the more you see the patterns, the more you can address the problems, and the more you can put aside the fear of changing your mind. Once you get there, you hold the power, you’re the manipulator.

Your feelings become yours to address, not to suffer. Your friends are hand-picked, not the kids you happen to live next to. Your ideas get the time and attention they need to work on you positively. This is what I want for people, my friends. I care about your mental health and I don’t think living a lie is healthy. It doesn’t matter if you even regard it as a lie, it’s not semantics, it’s the effect you have on the world. If I’m a part of that world, and all you send is negative effects, I know you’ve something to work on.

If you’re willing to take on the invented problems: guilt over sin or sex or other people's stressors and bad ideas, you’d think you’d choose an effective solution. But, overwhelming people don’t. They stick with what’s comfortable and what they think they know. They hurriedly rush past, and thus bury curious thoughts. They regret, they get angry, and they make it your problem. If you care about them, it’s your problem, and if you don’t, it’s even more so. Be manipulative. Take control of your mind and don’t blame me for being right about something. Don’t be afraid of how you feel and push your limits. You know what you’ll find; something new to be afraid of. Wash, rinse, and repeat.