Saturday, September 26, 2020

[866] Bits

 

There's been a lot on my mind the last couple weeks. I almost thought I could write every day for the last one. I figure I'll try to capture the snippets and maybe be done thinking for a while.

My aunt, who the last time I talked to I asked to borrow money so I could handle some coffee shop closure related issues, asked my dad for my information in order to update her will. She decided to do so after my dad told her I'd be taking care of the family gravestones after my dad, who currently does so, dies. My aunt has had 3 husbands, all wealthy, 2 died leaving her everything, and has lived magnitudes of extravagance I could only imagine. She didn't give me the loan, but the idea that I might make her look good in death will get her pocket book to crack. I assume it will be just enough to buy flowers and maybe a solid lunch.

My family, on paper, had an extreme amount going for it. Three men that were my dad and uncles and one aunt born to two steel-working immigrants. All the building I'm doing out here, you'd think we might come together and knock some impressive shit out. All went to school and consistently worked. My grandparents set them, and intended to set their grandchildren up, for comfortable and cared for lives. The richest people in my family are millionaires. The poorest live in a stolen paid-off house, hoard, and refuse to even call repair people to fix things around that house. They stole money that was supposed to come to me. They exist in service to movies and their pet dog.

I couldn't help myself from thinking about some payout when my aunt dies. I consider it a kind of temptation that, for the sake of irrepressible thoughts I'll indulge, but I have nothing invested in getting any luckier. Some key ingredient was missing from the makeup of my family. Whatever my grandparents did to keep things together, perhaps they never really did, completely died when they did. I pretend our annual Cubs game outing with one of my uncles makes up for how fucking shady he is.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I'm still trudging along in my quest to draw attention to DCS. I'm not getting the kind of feedback I think I'd appreciate. It's no matter, but I can't tell if I'm completely lost in the woods, or maybe new Facebook is taking away attention, or maybe people are exactly as they've always been, mute, with regard to anything that matters. My fliers are printed. I'll be going to The Hill maybe tomorrow or sometime over the weekend. I kinda like the idea of being a lone person standing in the silence. Dignifies it, kinda.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I have a neighbor who epitomizes the difference between city-folk and country-folk. City-folk would be wholly unknowing that this man has, in his estimation, made hundreds of thousands of dollars across random ventures, but mostly trucking. He's spent all kinds of money on tools and equipment to turn his plot next to mine into a mess of vehicles, sheds-under-construction, and bought an excavator/loader “I really can't afford” but for the thousands he routinely seems to spend each day for projects maybe years away. He's 55 going on death, 3 heart attacks and a host of other health issues. He's rough, grungy, and sincere in his particular track of how he wishes to behave towards people. He keeps regular hired help who he refers to as “Retard Ricky.” It's unclear if Ricky appreciates this moniker.

I'm wary of my neighbor. My gut tells me that if things every go wrong, he's not going to be insanely keen to talking things out without some form of overt contrition. He's let us use his big equipment, and is routinely trying to give us things he doesn't think he'll have a use for. I don't want it to go bad, but these are the kind of entanglements I moved far away to avoid.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I was thinking about how lucky I am to have been born during the transition from offline to online. My earliest habits aren't shaped by instant gratification and convenience. I appreciate having a working memory. I have the visceral experience of watching “the conversation” get stultified and “woke” as no one had received direction, no one was interested in giving it, save ideologues, and now we have overflowing buckets of anxious and depressed nihilists speaking to each other in memes. To be sure, the generations that failed them are adopting the same habits because they in no way know how to cope with the severity of the irony.

In my brief 32 years, I get to keep watching the same lessons play out as if it's impossible to learn. I wondered whether or not it was really possible to learn a lesson. To some degree, every single human interaction is different, and general rules of thumb might prove catastrophic throwing everything you know into question. I think of James Baldwin asking, “How much time do you want for your “progress?” When are you going to be comfortable enough with yourself and your responsibility to even speak? This is why I choose to have an ongoing “hate-hate” relationship with most people. It's always a constant dance around doing what you should, saying what needs to be said, or representing on behalf of the positive and vital forces that constitute why any of us are here.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Every day I get a little more done on the land, I swell with pride. I point to my effort in service to my idea and ideals, not mock and cope with endless layers of otherwise oppressive forces. The key is to figure out how you're going to channel all of your obsessive and doubtful energy. I have debts too. Debts that feel less bad than the stress of working at DCS. I have pains and open-ended pursuits that may lead to good things, or may devolve into petty fights. They started in earnest. They started under a philosophy of exploration and options.

My girl has expressed concern that were her mother ever to come out here, she'd turn up her nose at the amount of “negotiations” we have to live like we do. While I know I live like a king, you may find yourself hopelessly lost in a hole of judgment at exposed drywall or extension cords in the rafters. To each there own. I'm fully, warm, and parlaying the expensive aesthetics into more living space, gardening tools, and business speculation.

More to the point, my capacity to recognize my king-like status is informed by the current status of the vast majority of how people live on the planet, knowledge of history, and honest evaluation of what it is I actually need to feel good about how I'm oriented and positioned in the world. I've always hated apartments. I don't want a mortgage.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I say pretty often that I don't get how people can live “backwards.” I don't understand the appeal of being someone like Trump. I don't get being a sycophant aiding and abetting. I don't get how you think it's “just business” or like some iron law that you can hoard money, steal, and people suffer for no other reason than you're empty power games. When your concept of power is about how much destruction you can cause or attention you can bring to yourself.

I remember being an attention seeking kid. I'm still a fan of attention, but I want it to be for the right reasons. At least, each time I flirt with being the kind of person who could behave differently, it tends to lose its appeal. What's the wiring? Why do I remind myself that I need to build in struggle, I need to remain humbled by how things perpetually go wrong, and I need to cherish each moment, dinner, or laugh because life is short, while others can just take and break and scream, and seemingly live forever in our collective nightmares? Why do I think you have to start with a deep appreciation for how bad you actually are before you can ever approach being appreciably good?

There's no worse thought I have than in believing these people are choosing to behave this way. I didn't see bullies growing up as kids in traumatic households. I didn't see ego for how fragile it was. It wasn't until I started writing did I really grant myself the agency of my decision making and the ongoing consequences. I stopped taking it for granted that just because you reach a certain age important perspectives and valuable modes of being should have soaked into your bones. It seems people get to carry on as louder and louder indictments of their otherwise potentially better selves until they die and bequeath their license to the next one.

No comments:

Post a Comment