Monday, October 29, 2007

[40] Purpose Driven Life

So I'm watching Rick Warren's talk on TED called Living a life of purpose. He believes that servitude is what people's lives are geared toward or engineered by god. I can empathize with this. I don't agree that it had to be god to make it so, but I do think its an important part in understanding on the route to self awareness. I just watched another talk about the backward understanding to show how evolution has created things with such a magnified purpose today. I simply cannot just throw out the idea that it isn't, at least in some sense, about you. It doesn't make sense to say how awesome you are and how much god likes to watch you live if its only about god. I can't grasp it. I want to live for someone else. At the same time I'd feel validated and happy because my evolutionary drive, which is inherently "me," was pushing towards the best mindset for self preservation. I think inherent self centeredness is not something to be ashamed of or looked down at, just something to be recognized. It doesn't take away from any expression of love. It doesn't invalidate any choice about the areas I choose to acknowledge as purposeful. Its just there. I really dislike when people say "you weren't an accident." When they say it, it implies that science is simply calling you an accident and therefore without purpose. It automatically presumes that a basis for existing based on fact and understanding is meaningless and propagated by some form of evil. You can have purpose and find meaning in life as a result of evolutionary process. You can say that the very fact you made it, are at the tip of the information age's ladder is the "reason" for you to exist. Warren goes on to talk about influence. How you should use yours for those that don't have as much. I don't really know what to think about this statement. It, to me, tends to reduce people he views as "lesser" to having less influence than the famous basketball players he talks to. In all actuality, despite the road being bumpy or not, to me, everyone has as much influence as they allow themselves. They can say something or impart an idea and it can randomly take off whether it was said by a basketball player or homeless guy. Obviously, the publicity will be one sided and the connections are in favor of the rich. The overlying idea stays the same. While you may have this drive to live for something else its not your charge to step in and profess it for anybody else. I wish more than anything I could be all I could be for ms. Dream girl, but no matter how crazy I make myself over the subject its not my job to use my influence, knowledge, or sense of self to impose over her my views on why I think we're meant to be. I just simply want to be because it just feels right and seems to make sense. Without religious views and pressures from other outside influences, I have faith that, we could just be. Exist together to find another purpose or greater sense of right that couldn't be realize apart. Living evolution. If its my charge as one of the best and brightest to perpetuate the evolutionary chain and provide for a promising future, you can bet I'll be the one to find someone so fitting its literally painful to think of settling for anything less.

It goes back to the arguments about what we can't explain. The voids that people want to fill with god because science hasn't gotten there yet, or may never get there. My "definition" or personification or embodiment what have you of "god" would be that undeniable and inexplicable force making you faithful in something. It doesn't have to be beyond all reason. It doesn't have to be in denial of other things. It doesn't have to be pre ordained and waiting for you. Perhaps you can't always perfectly reason and logically deduce you faith, but its still there. I'd hate to think that love is just a fundamental principal of evolution, and then again what if? Guess you'd have to understand a lot about the nature of evolution. Either way the point is, without faith altogether one can't seem to find purpose, not because they don't have faith in god. God then again because the excuse, crutch, for people too tired or ill informed to know how or where to look otherwise. So again, your faith doesn't reason or justify your convictions and beliefs it simply comes about because your born opinionated. Is that feeling in your gut a ball of residual fear propelling your "faith" or a driving force from something so right its diminished by mere definition?