Saturday, February 2, 2013

[328] Good Gooder Best

Lately, I feel like I’ve been watching people set themselves up to fail. Maybe not today, maybe not even in the next couple years, but almost certainly eventually. If I look at my parents, it took them like 10-12 years to get divorced. You people realize that my general audience for these things that’s half their lives? They were a child maybe just getting into middle school and it took from the time they were born until then for my parents to figure out that their marriage wasn’t all it was cracked up to be.
 I’m not ragging on them for trying; I just want you to feel time. I want you to have a sense of how long things can go right or how long something wrong can take to unravel. When I talk to people who’ve gotten divorced or who’ve just been in long term relationships and see little choice otherwise, it’s a common theme. There’s the comfort and familiarity of the situation. There’s maybe a financial concern or kids involved. There are questions of what friends and family will think or how they’ll react.
 I think it’s not so much about separating a good from a bad relationship. It’s pretty easy to collectively wag our fingers at abuse or emotional manipulation. I want to make bigger lines between “good” “gooder” and the “best” kinds of relationships. Because I see plenty of good relationships that try to happily float past the very bad things that cause a lot of heartache and stupid things to happen over time. I also think there are different emotional states that predicate whether you find yourself in one of these categories or another.
When I first thought I was “in love” I would have done anything to be with that person. She was all I could think about. I wanted to change any and everything about me to make it work. It was hell, but it was absolutely the best kind of hell I could imagine. Even though at the time I knew I was an idiot, I definitely wasn’t an idiot! How could I be when it all just made so much sense? You’re not me, you can’t know, agree or I’m going to write off what you think and keep dreaming about her.
You know what would have happened if I got with her? Because I think it would have been terrible. After a while I would realize all the changes I made weren’t really me. I’d have a million little itches about how real life wasn’t living up to the fantasy. I would have made decisions early on that had everything to do with “us” and nothing necessarily to do with common sense or what’s best for me. But I was a kid. I got caught by the evolutionary drive that has made me one of the most recent incarnations of a billion year process to find someone overwhelming, knock them up, and throw caution to the wind.
When I think about that and compare it to what Kristen and I have, it’s like night and day. I craved, I was desperately in love. Now I have a constant hug and reminder, kisses I can constantly reflect on. Back then I struggled and contemplated every little thing I did. Now I get to just express myself and not stress out that any little thing is going to change what’s so naturally affirming. I was dishonest to myself and to what I could probably be to the girl in the past. I can’t think of a single thing I wouldn’t tell or haven’t told Kristen, and I don’t like how I could’ve been persuaded that something less than that would have ever worked. I hate the word love because I believe in something better than it. For me to care about her is so “duh” it’s effortless.
The transition from make-out buddy at a party, to spending time talking, to spending the night, to spending basically every night, to the first whispers throwing around that stupid L word took like 2 years. I made sure she knew that I wasn’t around to take advantage, I wasn’t about monogamy and don’t have too many feelings beyond general anger or general happiness. This never had her judging or making excuses for my views. She’s even said she would’ve been happy to get in a relationship sooner in order to feel special to someone. This we both identify as that trap where feelings begin to trump reality.
This is what I want for my friends. I don’t want them to be in good relationships, I want them to know they have someone in their life they can “take for granted.” Think healthy parent who always looks out for their child type taken for granted, not "I can do anything I want and you'll stick around." The second you pretend that those overwhelming lovey-dovey feelings at the start of a relationship mean something “magical” or “more than anyone else can appreciate” you’re setting yourself to ignore how much work it’s taking you to maintain. You’re ignoring what your parents can’t anymore that keeps them upset. It’s a wide brush to paint with the word “good” but it doesn’t mean you’re getting to be everything you are, only better, because you’re in that relationship.
Because that’s what I am; I’m better in light of her. It’s not “if only we could talk more things would be perfect.” “If only her jealousy wasn’t out of hand.” “If only I didn’t have to keep that part of my life or what I think secret.” “I wish this one (x) thing could just be a pinch more (y) and man would this be great.” She helps me better understand and express myself, and I’m fairly certain the feeling’s mutual. We don’t just get along, I didn’t just need a nice girl to sleep next to, and no amount of fucking around puts her out of my mind. You should think nothing less of yourself or the people you’re with.
Keep in mind this is a metric you should apply to any relationship in your life. I know which of my friends help me be a better me and which ones sort of almost play along until we stop sharing mutual friends. I recognize when you “struggle” to relate to something I’m saying or maybe just find it easy to pigeonhole where I’m coming from. Ironically I’ve had deep, insightful, and honest conversations with them in the past, but then something changes and it’s easy to get written off. I keep holding a candle for what was I guess. I think it has something to do with reading blogs like these as personal attacks and not opportunities to wonder why and if something sticks.
I see so many regretful old faces. It’s what could have been, who they once were, what they had to sacrifice. Whether you got knocked up early, ran your whole life from your fears, or spent too long finding the words for what you knew in your gut, I never want you to have the forlorn “back when I was this person” face. It’s not that people shouldn’t change you it’s that you shouldn’t let them stop you. You shouldn’t get used to it, you shouldn’t have to hide, and you shouldn’t ignore the details. Getting bogged down by societal or family or ill-conceived personal expectations closes the best door. There’s nothing like being understood and appreciated for who you really are.