Saturday, February 18, 2012

[269] Animals

I want to put my disposition up to a vote. I’m tired of trying to think my way past or justify things. I want to know what the rest of the world actually wants, if anything, and then respond accordingly. It would be a huge oversight to just try and work at things without anyone actually believing in what you’re doing. If they don’t buy into it you won’t get any change, let alone the big ones you’ve assumed to be the most worthy and over reaching. So tell me, how should I feel, and for how long?

We live in a country that outright denies someone DNA testing that would likely prove them innocent in order to “finally put them to death” and move the financial burden from our minds. How do I categorize that? Is it collateral damage of too many people with too many views? Is it the most abysmal example of a human rights abdication I can think of? Is it secretly a positive thing because we should be cutting back on the amount of people on the planet anyway? I want to know.

We live in a country/planet where people are comfortable hurting people because they would feel bad allowing those people to live otherwise. We let people’s ignorance reign supreme. I know my friends are a small sample size of the population, but you are primarily not the people I’m referring to here. So tell me, how should I feel about evidence not mattering, equality not mattering, or uninformed and dramatic feelings dictating where I can get in life? Tell me how I should feel about my ever fleeting time being spent hearing the words [and debating the merit!] of the weakest and most evil among us.

It is becoming increasingly less about my effort or knowledge. I put in the time to try and be informed and productive. It doesn’t seem to matter. How should I feel about not mattering? Do I need to bring in all the theoretical examples I’m setting for people that I’ll never hear or see? Do I need to stop giving into the façade that my impact is truly as powerful as I’d like to believe? Is it better for me to adopt “that’s life” adages and fit? I want to know the secret. I want to know how to stomach it.

I’m feeling less and less justification for being happy. I’m asking because I don’t precisely know why I should continue making myself. It isn’t about what I have. It’s about what we are. Animals.