Monday, May 30, 2011

[226] What Are You On About

I guess it’s just a symptom of staying up all night.

TV helps me think. It gives me a template. The show Greek has let my mind wander about relationships and cheating. Gantz prompts me to think about futility, redundancy, and cynicism. Of course I can just kinda space out and watch some other shows, but in general I catch myself just thinking.

I take for granted how I think and behave; my sense of practicality, sarcasm, and logic specifically. I’m told that I should respect other people’s opinions. I find this hard to accept. Opinions ought to be reserved for food and entertainment preferences. If you think something that is incorrect, and voice your opinion, to me, your opinion doesn’t matter. I understand that you “feel” something or believe yourself to be correct, but that only matters to you.

I suppose I bring this up because I need to explore how and why I behave in the context of so many opinions. Why I fight. How I’ve come to my relative conclusions on how and when to deal with people. If we are to accept that everyone is a hypocrite, then we can be sure that no one is completely reliable. Fair enough? I think people extend this understanding too far and suppose as far as believing nobody is reliable for practically anything. I think this is an extension of what they believe about themselves.

I have an extremely hard time finding myself unreliable. If only my demeanor and thought process remain fairly constant, I never “get lost in it all.” I don’t really feel diminished or surprised by anything for more than a few moments. I sometimes wonder if I should be more worried. I doubt that I should, but I do wonder.

I think about the point of operating under “the world at large” context. Why open a business in a world on the verge of destroying itself? Why engage with people you’re planning on forgetting? Why act as if you need more than a bit of food and shelter to be fairly happy? I suppose my short answer is that it’s exciting and it’s to spite pessimism and ignorance. I get off on being an example. I’m not sure why outside of this blissful potential future I envision. Oh naivety, you take us so far.

I hope it’s not the case, but I suspect it is, that no matter what you do, how you think, or what you show people to be true, they will trump you with their opinions. I think selfishness reigns supreme. If and when you don’t distinguish the kind of selfish you are, you default to the stupid destructive one. We aren’t fundamentally conservative, respectful, or thoughtful because the majority of our existence it wasn’t required of us. Perhaps another argument against free will?

Regardless, as long as I can identify things I want I’ll continue dictating and working towards them. I want good ideas to be enabled. I want to continue believing and proving that some ideas are better than others. I want to enable freedom, my own and for others who can appreciate it. I want to live seeing what I’m capable of more than die “knowing” what I could’ve done. Although it’s weird, I kind of feel like I’m working towards losing my will to live. Like, once I’ve done enough of what I want I’ll just sort of be like, “Well yeah, kinda done now, guess I’ll go ahead and die.” I’m intrigued to see if this moment ever comes. I think I feel worse anticipating the thought than I ever would if it genuinely arose.

I think I’m special while understanding I’m not. I hope for more people to accept this view. You’re not that smart. You’re not that hot. You’re not that talented or innovative or selfless. Yet, because you hopefully matter to yourself, and almost certainly matter to someone else, you can confidently proclaim you are special. You are what you observe about yourself and what others observe about you. Existing is special. I think this isn’t enough to inspire most. Until you kill yourself, you at the very least perpetuate the idea that existing is special, if only your existence. Is that all you’re going to do?

If everyone is a particle, and particles are more stable together, I’d like people to be more together. Most importantly, I’d like it to be in the realm of ideas. The rate and connectivity of your neurons firing determine the strength and potential for action. We have far too many examples of what happens when you cultivate fear and anger. I think we are literally suffering for truth and genuine well-being. I’ve think we’ve been like this for our existence. Perhaps the advent of the scientific method is the first development of this need. Perhaps the ones that don’t respect or care to understand science just haven’t suffered the consequences of their existence yet. If only those consequences didn’t involve a shared planet.

I don’t want to feel like I have to trick people into liking or respecting me. I don’t want to plant qualifiers into conversations. I don’t want to force a certain look. I want the kind of respect that comes from recognizing another thoughtful human being. I want to be liked because someone else likes themselves when they are around me. I want to help enable the best of you knowing I can only do it by being the best of me. I don’t think the best of me is based on my opinion.