Tuesday, July 14, 2009

[184] Anxiety And/Or Fear

Anxiety and/or Fear 7/14/09

What is the true nature of the human condition and what does it mean for the world? I've been trying to work out what's been on my mind for the last couple of months, and nothing has really hit home until I saw a "make money now" character give his little spiel to the elementary kids. This prompted me to think about trust and how I barely trust anything while so many are willing to trust almost anything. Spokesmen like that exist because of pure and simple gullibility and desperate hope without thought. 25 million copies of how to get out of debt books were really sold? You honestly have "old and unwanted gold" to be exchanged for pittance of what it's worth? My real problem is just trying to digest that there are that many people who are capable of entertaining such ridiculous ideas. How many bad decisions did it take you to get into that much debt before it dawned on you a commercial at 4 in the morning is your last hope?

So, realizing that a character from a cartoon was making me anxious, I turn to Bill O'Reily. People like Bill are the reason I get anxious and maybe even afraid, although it's not fear in the classical sense, it's of something ominous or shadowed by his "personality" and rhetoric. Again, I find myself thinking that places like Fox news exist, and that scares me. It would be too easy to go on some diatribe compiling all the stupid, racist, and ignorant things from the various talking heads at the station, so I hope to not confuse my purpose by bringing them up. I just want to know if anyone else feels this. Just knowing that people like that exist. So brazen, confident, pious, and ignorant; always smiling the brightest. Being able to feel comfortable saying that a festival called God and the Nation (or whatever it was called) with a presidential plane fly over was not an issue about separation of church and state because the words "church and god are not the same thing."

I've heard that it is condescending to think you have some sort of special knowledge and to believe that no amount of discussion or reasoned argument will ever change a believers mind. I honestly at this point can't understand why I was almost sold on this idea. It doesn't just have to be bad ideas and hypocrisy about your deity, it can be about absolutely anything. It probably isn't just a coincidence that the majority of the same views are held by the same kinds of people I have little to no respect for, and that's what fascinates me more. I get that at times we can all be hypocritical or contradictory. With that said, I generally see that happening when it comes to either confusion about your own position or getting lost in word play depending on who your talking to. There's a scale of "reasonable," or perhaps better said, expected, hypocrisy and contradictions to me. When it comes to things that can be objectively verified and described, and you decide "simply hold a different opinion" to me, you've committed suicide.

How can one sacrifice their own mind? Guilt is my immediate answer. I guess I wonder more about how you can live like that? What's it like to constantly selectively hear, deny, and stress about things that you know deep down make sense and have always made sense. Whoever has the power to lay down such a guilt trip makes you march to their drum. ::coughs:: religion ::coughs::. On that list of scary things, when I watch stadiums filled with bright eyed believers packed in to hear the same damn message over and over again. You'd think this all encompassing eternal love wouldn't need such vehement testaments to and reminders of its existence if it was really there.

So you have these sacrificed guilty sacks listening to voices in their head about how they should behave. This doesn't bother you? If that voice isn't their reason or isn't honest, it may as well be random. You have people who are compelled, truly compelled by Sarah Palin, Glen Beck, VenomfangX...why? They have given up on reason. The refuse to think. So what does this mean for the rest of us? Do I just get to complain in blogs until my fingers tire? The reasonable, objective, and learned among us go toe to toe with them. We waste our time refuting their "arguments." We rock to the sway of the collective moronic decisions they make and try to cut a path that feels like its honest and worthy. It kills me to think that those who are smart are destined to not trust, stress out, and waste their time on people who could never appreciate them, while the rest go on celebrating their ignorance. We shouldn't feel comfortable watching 7-30 second sound bites about what's going through the House and Senate. There shouldn't be a months worth of tributes, news casts, and articles on a dead pop singer.

It's weird because I can hold seemingly too very contradictory feelings when I think about this. On one end, I feel like I should give up or am somehow fated to deal with the unending stress of fighting through a greedy, ignorant, and frankly pointless world. Despite this, I still know enough about myself that I will still go to the ends of the Earth if I truly see a way for me to succeed and help those I know are worthy enough to succeed as well. I have to believe that the people who can empathize with this are looking for their opportunities as well, and I'd like to make it easier. Or there's the complete opposite disaster scenario, nobody cares. I really have no recourse but to write and keep trying.


"I wanna feel weightless, and that should be enough."