Tuesday, July 8, 2008

[104] I Most Certainly Need Ya'lls Help

Tuesday, July 8, 2008 at 7:02am

Stupid facebook made my last 5 notes private and I really wanted feedback on this one.

It’s a dangerous thing when someone who was so desperately controlled by their emotions tries to lead with their brain. I just got into it with Tammi and wanted to know why she chose to lie to me about giving control of the account I have set up for school to my dad. First, she decided to say that she didn’t lie, which is bullshit because I have the emails. Then she decided to say that she simply changed her mind. This is a woman who got on me and Josh endlessly about lying, and about how much easier our punishments and lives would be if we didn’t lie to her. She is all of a sudden allowed to lie to me when she thinks it is warranted. By the way, this was not a civil conversation, but it could have been at a whisper and nothing productive would have happened. She thinks that I want her to crack under my will, that I want to break her down and fit her into some framework I have about how things are supposed to go. She says this is “exactly how you were when you were a little kid.” It is entirely irrational for me to continue telling her this is not the case, so I’m writing this as an appeal to those not involved. When I took my “witchcraft” class and sent her the email for just the amount I needed reimbursed, nothing more, this is what she came back with .

“Unless you can explain how studying witchcraft factors into getting a well-rounded academic education, I can't justify reimbursing you for these books.”

My first question to you is, does this sound like a respectful way to inquire about my education? Now I came back at her with all my artful ways of cussing and inventive analogies to help illuminate her irrationality, but see I can recognize this an fully admit that I will do that. The question about her statement remains. My response.

“Excuse me? A 3 credit hour class that talks about science and the occult isn't about learning to make spells for christ's sake. Maybe you've heard of classes that are pre-reques for different majors later as well? YOU AREN'T REIMBURSING ME. YOU DON'T MATTER. It's not your money. Can you warn be before I send you serious emails while your on the rag because I'm sick of these stupid ass games you keep playing. You should see the wand I take to class everyday....fuckin loon.”

Not to mention it was a 9 week accelerated course as well. Her response.

“Nicholas:

I asked a simple, direct question, to which you replied with vulgarity and insults. As a paying parent, I have a right to know what you're studying, as I'm responsible for seeing that your college funds are appropriated prudently. Witchcraft is a prerequisite class for what field of study?

In recent memory, I recall reimbursing you for guitar lessons, martial arts attire and now this. All of these "classes" mimic courses you could have taken for free or a nominal fee at the local "Y" or library. It's evident you're not taking your academic studies seriously. You have until the end of this semester to get your act together or you'll be paying for these ridiculous classes out your own pocket. Your choice.

You know what you can do with your wand.

Mom”

Let me point out the problems in her response, because at first glance you might think she has a few points going for her. The first problem is the first sentence. What seems like a simple and direct question was accusing me of purposely degrading my education and a half threat. The next problem is “As a paying parent.” This money, all of this money, came from my dad almost dying on the job. She tried to tell me that she was the one who fought for the money and wanted it appropriated for school. Another blatant lie. Again, take note of the next problem in her reference to the class as “witchcraft.” Moving on, she says she reimbursed me for guitar lessons and martial arts attire. Now these are classes offered by the university and in need of work to get a good grade out of them. She thinks they can be taken for a nominal fee or at the local Y or library? Our small circle instructor wasn’t shy about telling us how much it would be to take classes and it isn’t nominal nor cheaper than taking it through IU. Maybe everyone hasn’t taken music lessons, but there is a difference in what you learn when it’s through a teacher and when it’s your buddy down the street. Furthermore, I had come to IU with music planned as my second focus, which she was fully aware of, and yet now taking a guitar class signifies that I’m not taking things seriously.

I’m not going to reproduce all the emails here where she’s gone off on some magical tangent about what I’m doing with my life and how. What I can tell you if that throughout our back and forth apparently I’ve managed to scare her family and make her feel that I am not mentally healthy. All of which I can’t even be angry at because I find them so ridiculous. Fun fact, her own sister was getting abused by her husband for years and yet was sane and “family” enough to come welcomed at family dinners and treated like things were normal. Where’s the rational or justified action in name of fear there? This woman thinks I want to crush her under my will or something for the sake of control. I’m still trying to figure out what she thinks I have control over. I can’t fuck up in school or obvious issues arise. I wouldn’t blow money on arbitrary things because again, obviously this would only cause unwanted stress, work, and problems in my life. I don’t want to control her because for years I’ve been telling her to LEAVE and not ever have to bother with me again. But remember everyone, it’s my “choice” if I want things to remain this way. When I asked her why she lied to me about giving control of the account to my dad she said, “I changed my mind.” When I say she’s playing the part of check writer yet isn’t paying for the books I bought for my “witchcraft” she says, “I reimburse you when I feel it’s appropriate.”

Obviously ladies and gentlemen I’m a hate filled, controlling, disrespectful, mentally unsound, and in need of prayer atheist so I’m appealing to your assessment. I’m sending her this blog, and I plan to send her your responses. I’m the type of person that will reflect what I get from people. When she tries to exude this controlling and irrational behavior over me, maybe it’s just a coincidence that she’ll read that from our interactions regardless if I’d like to keep it about the plain facts. So my questions to you are:

Did her response to what I needed to be reimbursed for sound respectful?
What am I trying to control?
What points do you think I misrepresented or misread in her response to me?

Also, please tell me how I’m supposed to be respectful, what I call kissing the ass of, a woman who lies to me and slanders my dad.

Cara Zimmerman (Chicago, IL) wroteat 2:22pm on July 8th, 2008
Nick,
I think her response to you was a valid response. Ok, so maybe she had the wrong view of what type of class it was that you were taking, but she asked in a nice way how it was adding to your education. I think you could've written her back a little more nicely. But ok with her second response I could see how that would make you mad. Yes, as a "parent" she has a right to know what you're studying in college, but she has to realize that you're what, almost 20? You can makes those kind of decisions yourself about which classes you should take. She shouldn't base her reimbursement off what she "thinks" will be good for your education.
I don't know what you're trying to control.
How to be respectful: don't use swear words when replying to her. Give yourself a couple hours before you write back and maybe you'll think it over and won't be so angry later on. Don't always think that you're the one who's in the right. Be grateful she even pays for any of your education.
Report - Delete



Nick P. wroteat 7:27pm on July 8th, 2008
I think you missed the part where she isn't paying for anything. I don't ask nor receive a single penny of what is her money.
Delete



Billy Bowman (Bloomington, IN) wroteat 8:03pm on July 8th, 2008
First off, she needs to stop refering to it as Witchcraft. It's a class studying (correct me if i'm wrong) the science and philosophy behind how the occult got started, what it is today and why, right? Not training to become an occultist or wizard. Your learning history and philosophy, not spells and alchemy? Then it's a valid prereq to philosophy classes.

Music and martial arts... how are those NOT benefitial? First of all, every degree requires so many electives.. your just knocked our a couple with those classes, while bettering your creative mind and your body.

Anyone who knows me knows how i feel about lieing, but on the off chance your mother reads this i'll let her know. All liars deserve to burn in hell (assuming it exists). I would like nothing more then to be allowed to punch anyone in the face the moment they told me a blatant lie, but then you get sued for assault and i just don't have that kind of money. On top of that, the hypocrisy involved in her getting on..
Report - Delete



Billy Bowman (Bloomington, IN) wroteat 8:09pm on July 8th, 2008
...your case about lieing is worse then the lieing itself. I know from previous conversations your mothers a christian, so lets go to the bible and ask Jesus what liars and hypocrites get... You go ahead and find that verse, i don't have that kind of time. I do recall a quite prominent verse, i believe goes something like "Thou shalt not lie"..

..going back to my previous comment about music and martial arts, the education and discipline received in the university it far superior then any volunteers at the local "Y" can give.. and you let me know when the library starts holding martial arts and music lessons..

If she's refusing to reimburse you when it's not her money, i would go to whoever's money it is and by pass the lying hypocrite all together.

In regards to her sister who was abused, she's stupid for not leaving him, and her husband deserves to be shot in the face. Nothing more to be said there.
Report - Delete



Billy Bowman (Bloomington, IN) wroteat 8:13pm on July 8th, 2008
As far as how you're trying to control her and make her fit into some kind of framework, i'm not seeing it. It looks to me like you're simply bitching about how mindlessly retarded (i pray she's offended by that) her comments are.

Now then, i've supported your side of the argument so far, but i do think you could at least start out your conversations more... uh.. i'd say respectfully but that's not really what i'm going for.. just less offensive. I'm not saying you'd get better results, but at least start out that way and if and when you get the same stupid comments (witchcraft, wasting your life, mentally ill...) it's more understandable to be disrespectful and pissed off. For instance, instead of starting off "Excuse me? A 3 credit hour class that talks about science and the occult isn't about learning to make spells for christ's sake. Maybe you've heard of classes that are pre-reques for different majors later as well? YOU AREN'T REIMBURSING ME. YOU DON'T MATTER."
Report - Delete



Billy Bowman (Bloomington, IN) wroteat 8:15pm on July 8th, 2008
Starting off like:
"Look, it was not a witchcraft class. It was a prereq to philosophy, it was studying the history and philosophy of what the occult IS.. not spellcasting and demon worship. Promise. I'll give you phone numbers, contacts, and paperwork from the class as proof if you need it. Just write the check for my books."
Might be a little more effective.. if it didn't work, well you can't get much more logical so throw it out the window and go for an all out verbal assault.
Report - Delete



Nick P. wroteat 8:28pm on July 8th, 2008
The process went something like this Mr. Bowman. It started out me scanning receipts and her sending me the money. Sometime amidst this process we started exchanging more than "you owe me this" and "i've sent you that." This is when I took my dad's advice to just send her a dollar amount and receipt, nothing more. When I try this is when she decides to enter me into this battle. Like I put in the note "When she feels its appropriate" is when I'll get reimbursed. She suggested that I just take out student loans and just get one lump sum when I graduate, you know, so she can pick and choose which things were class oriented and leave me with a bigger hole in my pocket. This is a woman who's every comment has the air of "I'm not really asking this question, I'm demanding you tell me, and woe to you if you choose to fight back."
Delete



Billy Bowman (Bloomington, IN) wroteat 8:32pm on July 8th, 2008
I see.. well, be that as it may.. even when you engage in this fight, you could at least start out a little less hostile. I don't know the whole history of it, and it looks like you wouldn't get any better results but.. you asked for comments
Report - Delete



Nick P. wroteat 8:36pm on July 8th, 2008
and those comments are much appreciated.
Delete



David M.L. Jaffe wroteat 8:49pm on July 8th, 2008
First off, I mean no offense, but she's the definition of a fucking crackpot.

I want to ask her, "How is he controlling you by taking the classes he finds interesting? The point of college to learn what you want, not be drilled the same mindless crap through K-12." You're doing what every other college student in America, if not the entire world, does.

I'm going to recommend going straight to your dad to discuss this. It's his money, he can take her off the account, can't he? Or at least withdraw enough for your education to keep it safe.

Bowman pretty much summed it all up. Except the being hostile part. I'd say it was appropriate. She's been fucking you over for a while, it seems. I'm surprised you kept it as civilized as you did.

You're a damn smart guy. I'd just keep going at her to get whatever you can out of her. If needed, go for some student loans. I see no problem in a person like you being able to pay them back when you're done.
Report - Delete



Billy Bowman (Bloomington, IN) wroteat 8:57pm on July 8th, 2008
..Or sending her the dollar amount and receipts for those loans, + interest. No need send her what you spent them on, they were student loans. They of course went toward your education... :)
Report - Delete



Nick P. wroteat 9:02pm on July 8th, 2008
I'm not sure what happened in the court room, but she managed to get her name as the sole controller of the funds. I quite literally have no recourse, I'm just making the case to her that I'm not the only one who sees things this way.
Delete



Billy Bowman (Bloomington, IN) wroteat 9:06pm on July 8th, 2008
Did she blow the judge? I should probably apologize for that before i get sued.. by her and the judge.... meh, freedom of speech
Report - Delete



David M.L. Jaffe wroteat 12:47am on July 9th, 2008
Woah woah, shes the only one who has control over that money now? That complicates it a bit. I like bowman's idea. Get the loans, and sending her the loan statements for reimbursing. Too bad that probably won't fly with her, the way it sounds. She'll end up still wanting to know how the loan money was spent. Quite the tricky situation...
Report - Delete



Billy Bowman (Bloomington, IN) wroteat 6:52am on July 9th, 2008
Can you appeal to the courts? I mean, if this crap continues.. i would
Report - Delete



David M.L. Jaffe wroteat 11:21am on July 9th, 2008
He'd basically have to sue his mom, which involves hiring a lawyer, and collecting written proof that she was going to reimburse him.
Report - Delete



Billy Bowman (Bloomington, IN) wroteat 2:06pm on July 9th, 2008
Perhaps, or perhaps according to the previous court thing there's something that says she has to reimburse him for his education that he can just point to and say "Here's the damn law that says she's gota pay me".. which is why i phrased it in the form of a question
Report - Delete



Nick P. wroteat 3:14pm on July 9th, 2008
She says that she wishes I would sue her so she can show the courts all the things I've said to her in the past and explain what an ungrateful little bastard I am.
Delete



David M.L. Jaffe wroteat 5:48pm on July 9th, 2008
Sorry mr. bowman, but there really isn't a law which requires parents to pay for their kid's education. Well, for college anyway. I don't know if verbal agreements are acceptable in court in Indiana, I think they are, but don't quote me on that. If they are, you might have a chance in court for reimbursing.

Unfortunately, Mr P. is right. She's probably keeping everything he's said and is saying for evidence, which will hurt him in court. Depending on the judge, he'd either say "by law, you entered a verbal contract, blah blah blah" (assuming verbal agreements are accepted), or he'll be like "you're an ungrateful little bastard like she says."

You need to figure out if verbal contracts are valid in court in Indiana (preferably your local laws, but most likely Indiana. Merrillville is in Indiana, right?)
Report - Delete



Billy Bowman (Bloomington, IN) wroteat 6:28pm on July 9th, 2008
Actually there are under some circumstances.. a couple of my friends have issues like that.. their parents are split and the court ordered her dad to pay so much of her tuition or something...

I studied business law my senior year.. from what i remember verbal contracts are legal in all states, but hard to hold up.. since i doubt they're more evidence of what they said then he-said she-said, and if she's lied once why wouldn't she deny ever having made a contract...

anyway i wouldn't suggest sueing over this.. it was just a thought about the previous court ruling and what precisely it says
Report - Delete



Nick P. wroteat 6:44pm on July 9th, 2008
The money that's put away was specifically put away in a college fund and draw up to be legally only allowed to be spent on school. She has taken the liberty of deciding what "for school" really means. I look at it like this. I have freedom of speech. I can say whatever the hell I want about and to her, and yes I've been careful not to make any death threats, the payment is independent of that. If I don't cater to her feelings, all of a sudden I'm not taking school seriously. My only real chance is for her to royally and blatantly deny me something I'm owed and then have my dad step in. All of this time consuming and usually costly. Remember guys, I've been on this train for a while now, I was more looking just to confirm that I'm not insane for thinking the way I do about her, because me simply telling her this fact is just "typical" of my offensive demeanor.
Delete



Billy Bowman (Bloomington, IN) wroteat 6:54pm on July 9th, 2008
Right, we seem to have goten off subject.. well my original posts reflect what you asked for
Report - Delete



David M.L. Jaffe wroteat 7:16pm on July 9th, 2008
Hmm, well, you're definitely not insane. She's the insane one, IMO.