Tuesday, June 2, 2015

[434] Human, Too

I'm hung up on the idea of “people are only human.”

I think this is often employed when someone has reached the end of their ability to justify or explain something. Imagine a child asks, “Why are we still fighting wars?” given that not enough adults seem to care to ask, and they'll receive a pat on the head with an explanation that humans are violent and irrational and we can only expect as much given how unbelievably afraid of everything they are.

Already this seems to want to bump into a set of cliches. One being “give it time.” The other, “it doesn't matter.” We can explain to that child that history is on our side. As horrible as we think war is now, what we're getting is merely a snapshot of the amount of people who have died from not only war but terrible diseases too. As well, you're just a child, it shouldn't concern you that people are killing each other. Just hang on to your childhood because holy shit are you in for a ride.

I think these kinds of sentiments carry a certain wisdom of the past. Until recently, there wasn't much you could know. You were as enabled or restricted by your area or family. If you were a genius farmer, there was no Mensa waiting ready with open arms, you were just going to farm until you died, maybe with some pretty sick modifications to your tractor.

It's fair to say I have an extremely bleak conception of humanity. I don't do well with stories about our achievements. I've never experienced much “awe” whether we're learning more about the universe or figuring out how to replace blood cells or cure cancer. I think all that shit is cool, don't get me wrong, but I haven't really experienced a “calling” if you will. I'm suspicious of people who have.

The closest thing I had to it was when I finally started to run a business. But, it was nothing to do with my love affair with coffee, it simply got me dreaming about experimenting. Just playing, essentially. There's a laundry list of businesses I think I'd like to get into. I think my habits and ideas would do a lot to spur motivation and inspiration in a lot of people. I think I could do a lot of good for people or the world in general. I'm realizing as time goes on, I don't know why I'd care to.

In the mash-up of my thoughts at the moment, I watched a video of a homeless guy talking about having it all, going to jail, and trying to connect with people in the digital age. 1 in 10 he estimates might stop to help you if you're bleeding on the side of the road. 1 in 1,000,000 will sit there and talk with him after being moved by his song. He tries to connect with people who he “thought were pretty good friends from school” and they don't have the time for a ten minute conversation but will airily text for 2 hours. While my experiences may not have reached the extremes of his, the sentiments ring with the kind of dark truth you rarely find people willing to talk about.

I wonder how much of his complaints can be blamed on the digital era or how much the digital era just brought out and put on display the worst of humanity. Of course you don't need ISIS videos of people cutting off heads, but you're now aware of something in a kind of way you never were prompted to feel reading a history book. Every beleaguered voice gets to share the witticisms of their particular trolls. Groups that are demonstrably terrible show you their impact by using our modern tools to usher us back into repressive ignorance.

I struggle with hearing about “great men.”I can sit and watch all day documentaries about people who have shaped the country or are currently shaping the planet. The stories often seem to uplift, intimidate, or exhaust you. Most people don't function well perpetually nervous or mildly psychotic, but then, at least one was Teddy Roosevelt. A man with certainly enough personality flaws and personal tragedy to choke a mere mortal to death also punched a hole straight through history. You can read about Elon Musk feeling a “pain point” having to stop working to eat because he knows how far we are from the kind of innovation needed to keep people in perpetuation. He tells share holders not to expect their money back any time soon. Is he one of the most amazing and selfless fools in existence? It's that, what are we supposed to take away?

I try to humanize. I try to think about the context. The Roosevelt's are not the Roosevelt's without money. A smart person is at the behest and limits of their brain, the one they were born with or how it was conditioned. A brain can rise to the level of it's tools and playground. If your playground is littered with violence and ignorance the odds stack against you. If you're environment is quickly killing off species and making it harder to breath, the problem further still. If you're floating through space amidst an infinite black void of cold impersonality, fuck the Panama Canal you egomaniac.

How do people make the case for “will” or “morals?” I don't mean to sound obtuse or that there aren't philosophers. The best I can land on is to try and strike a “balance,” whatever that is supposed to mean. As in, we know shit hurts and how to alleviate it. So to the extent we're not balancing out our knowledge with the ability to alleviate the hurt, “the universe” shouldn't be happy. I'm not talking about a kind of personality or god.

I think there's a certain point where you have to blame people for their ignorance more than ignorance itself. If we're truly tired of war, stop voting for people who fill the pockets of companies that build war machines. Years from now when I read this back, it's today a couple thousand hummers we gave to Iraq are now in the hands of ISIS. So what are we doing as well? Militarizing Africa. The balance between our information and courses of action are clearly fucked.

It doesn't matter if you're selfless when the majority of people can or only want to take advantage. My grandparents gave everything to their kids who, apart from my dad, shit all over their memory. The Venus Project can talk all day about a resource based economy and how to innovate and allocate our way out of much of the world's problems. I don't point them out as “saviors” as I do for what happens when you try to persistently apply “the future” onto people steeped in capitalism or selfishness.

I think it's after you watch so much of the same pattern and feel nothing or too much over and again, you start to find a nobility in death. Once you prove to yourself that you're not “as bad” or maybe “as merely human” you can drift away telling people all you can do is try for other people because you're not getting shit in return. Or maybe you got everything you deserved in being born into the life you got; an equally self-aggrandizing and provoking suicide sentiment.


I don't know. I'm on my couch. I just watched Bicentennial Man, where a comedian I eulogized depicts a robot who just wanted to die recognized for all his humanity.

This pairs well.