Friday, September 6, 2013

[360] With My Freeze Ray

A point in every direction is the same as no point at all.”

I can't escape this idea. As someone who is constantly taking in a ton of information, feelings of pointlessness are familiar and persuasive. Not necessarily about what I'm doing, but I speculate on the reasons the information I'm taking in exists. You see similar stories, hear similar excuses, and watch the patterns play out and you can't help but think, if you wanted to look and sound like everything else, what's the point?

Everyone's on Youtube. It's part of the reason I stopped going there. When the guy who used to make pretty good videos against religion realized there was less and less to talk about, he switched to showing us how good he was at guitar. Not why I signed up. Everyone is part of some collective or video making group or has a very meager sponsor. Everyone wants to sponsor someone! If you're a comedian for longer than a few years, you bet your ass you have a tv show or a podcast. Ever hear of this thing where you can self-publish books!? New York Times best seller, here we come.

The world feels gray, cheap, convenient and abundant. I don't often know what to trust unless I've spent an inordinate amount of time sifting through it all personally and then comparing it against each other. As such, when it becomes too much, or it just seems I can't relate to it with anyone, I see myself getting “generally frustrated.” It's easy to lump in different problems and positions into an overall “why the fuck is everything fucked” kind of umbrella.

As such, while I stand by my anger towards simple and passing slights, because they're somehow malicious in their ambivalence, I want to refrain from out and out hypocrisy by recognizing my capacity to glance over the details. Because sometimes it's just easier to feel angry and speak from anger.

But there's the issue. When your culture feels arbitrary, do you blame it because it's wrong? Or do you ignore it because it is in fact arbitrary? As someone with an agenda, it's hard to believe the latter. I'm mostly lost for figuring out other peoples' agenda. Surely some of them have one. But how can I tell? Everyone has a voice, especially when maybe they don't need one. Everyone's famous. Words just are. Hop on the train to the national stage of public opinion. The fact that you're talking is quite enough.

I just want people to be saying something. Not, I'm bored so I get drunk a lot and cook. Sure, that one episode was funny, the 112th means you have a real problem. Because you can pirate pro-tools doesn't make you a producer. Because all you're friends voted you easiest to talk to doesn't mean you're the next Dear Abby.

That's why I write a shitty blog on shitty websites. That's as far as my voice needs to carry until I'm saying or doing something more worthwhile than depicting the various ways in which the world blows. The only real reason I volunteer it is because I don't know how better to talk to myself.