Monday, March 19, 2012

[272] Drunken Bar Banter

What do you get when you have two ex veterans arguing about war, politics, and morality? A time to intervene!

I’m getting fairly sold on the idea that I really don’t need to talk to anyone anymore on the whole “life” issue. Here’s why. When I do, I find that they either have some “life experience” that ultimately informs their position in such a vehemently held way that you could just never understand, or they have some “of course you know this” rhetoric that blankets the issue with unsubstantiated facts or tentatively held figures.

Ultimately, when you’re fighting, the irony is that you want peace. Whether you want to call the middle east a bunch of towel headed fatwa inciting America hating sand niggers or not, you don’t want one of them to shoot you. Nor do you necessarily want to go out of your way to make sure you can shoot one of them. I talked to a guy tonight whose job it is to hunt down traitors (read dissenters) and see them prosecuted (if not dead if I understood him correctly) but could still agree that despite differences, “America” (think South Park) was “more evolved” than the people in the middle east and it was our responsibility to show them how a country is supposed to be.

Can we pause and soak that in?

(Ignore this paragraph) It’s the position of the 30 something in the bar to step in and try to qualify the conversation in terms that are fair to both sides. Because, after all, the youngins at the bar are all still discovering themselves and the extra 14 years he’s had on the planet has given him this unique perspective on breaking up potential fights and qualifying bar patrons. But really, the guy I talked to who wasn’t the one after dissenters was alright, but I can be condescending in my own blog he’ll never read. (you didn’t ignore this paragraph)

When I pulled out the figures for the amount of civilian casualties in this “war on terror” he fired right back with the alleged number of soldier casualties. The guy who stepped in and pointed out that neither sides’ number mattered, was right. I didn’t pull out Google and site my shit, though I would have, and regardless of his, dramatically inflated number of soldiers killed, his point was that “AMERICA’S troops are being killed” and mine was about collateral damage. Neither was reaching a point that was going to be mutually respected and understood.

Facts don’t matter. And that is hard as fuck for me to swallow. The culture you create around them does. If I’m to make any difference in the world, it’s going to be developing an environment that breeds understanding. It’s not going to be in merely presenting the facts, but entrenching them in someone’s life. This military guy, this republican, this whatever the fuck label you want to give him, wants the same shit as you do, he just wasn’t brought up in in an environment to realize it without his fair share of bar debates or time spent in the military. People aren’t THAT different.

The ones who are out there finding the relative few to have informative and fulfilling semi-drunk bar conversations don’t believe the rest of the world gets it. Really understand this. The ones that believe or have the potential to change and discuss things, basically don’t believe in their potential to change things, let alone through discussion. This is a problem for me. I overhead people qualify their conversations all the time. “I’m not necessarily saying this or that and I don’t mean to be this or that, and I hope you don’t take this to mean more than what I’m saying” from the dumbest sorostitute to the public intellectual. People are smarter than they want to believe. They recognize opportunities to be misunderstood. They maybe just don’t understand the nature of how smart they are?

And I don’t want to think I’m grasping at strings for hope in humanity. I still think we’re fucked. I just see enough to work with. Just remember that you’re human, they’re human, and we’re all dumb fuck animals trying to figure shit out until we die. Getting drunk at a bar or dicking around on an instrument or mouthing off about how compelling our feelings are, is the PINNACLE of the human experience. When you can’t respect someone else’s right to waste as much of their time as you do yours on shit that makes you a hypocrite and liar, you’re the biggest kind of asshole. How wonderful it would be if we didn’t have to keep making excuses.