Monday, March 1, 2010

[214] Loners

I think I’ve managed to piss off or insult a couple people over the last few weeks that I didn’t mean to, and I’m in some sort of introspective mood so here’s some words about me.

I’m a loner at heart. I think this plays into my relationships much deeper than people realize. If we don’t talk for what might seem as a long time or our life circumstances take us far apart, if we’re cool, to me we’re still cool. My best friend I talk to maybe once every 5 or 6 months. My whole thing is, I don’t want to be that person that just asks about your day or how school’s going out of formality. I’d like to be in a mood where I’m trying to be invested in your answers or take the conversation somewhere.

I’m kind of creepily okay with sitting alone watching a show or movies, playing music or whatever. And if I find myself doing those things, it isn’t about me trying to be shady towards you or passively dissolve a friendship. I think I might be so “apt” at being by myself because of paranoid/a.d.d.-ish habits. For example, I’m finding the ridiculous amounts of people in the library right now as distracting as any show projected at home. It was actually the contemplation of my sitting here in the context of them that got me away from homework and onto this blog.

I wonder if most people are loners. I have to believe there is this sort of happiness or security that comes from realizing you’re the only one truly inside your head. Almost as a necessity would you develop some way to “cope.” How could society function, how could these kids come in to this place day in and day out if there was no enjoyment? I’m not positive that would make sense. Of course there would be some complicated “social forces” picture that could be drawn to circumvent the happiness, but eh, not really in the mood.

Clearly, being what I’m trying to describe as a “loner” doesn’t mean you don’t enjoy or can be good at social interaction. I think it’s more about what you rely on primarily. Is it your own thoughts or the ability of others to distract you? Ha, thinking on how hard people fail at being consistent sources of distraction it seems almost assured you’ll jump inward.