Sunday, July 27, 2008

[113] Save Me Joel!

Sunday, July 27, 2008 at 8:17am

Joel Osteen is a character, I'll tell you what. I what to do a study about the number of passages and stories in the bible that seem to teach people non-sequitur metaphors and complacency. Osteen came up with this metaphor about God being like rainclouds. You have to constantly give God praise, like the growing condensation in a raincloud, and it will eventually rain down into your life with supernatural opportunities and new horizons. He goes back to money issues and relationship issues frequently. I can't argue with him about switching out of a defeat mode, but to take that energy towards praise instead of work I believer is superbly wrong. It kills me to think that the religious speeches are so close to getting things right, but immediately take the wind out of their sales when they tell you to focus on a god. This kind of thinking would be perfect before the days of logic and established rules in science, but unfortunately for these people once they get out of church, they go back to playing by the same rules as the rest of us. One example he uses was to imagine that your in traffic and instead of being upset at the traffic, be happy that you have a job. Now, okay great, be happy about what's going right in your life. I don't think I could depict a better example of looking for and taking the good, and completely ignoring the bad. The fact remains, traffic is a bitch, if you really want to avoid it, leave for work earlier. It does not help you deal with your anger when you ignore what it's directed towards. Osteen says it himself that change isn't going to happen within our own minds, or hearts, or intellect, it will happen in God's breath and rain. In other words, your stupidity can go ignored if you focus on how awesome it was to walk to today.

Instead of learning the proper strategies to make concrete changes in their lives, believers are allowed every opportunity to push their problems farther and farther away. How can you explain to someone that your problem with them isn't that they happen to get happy with a particular sky daddy, but their happiness is at the expense of, and almost in spite of, the hard fought knowledge of those whose contributions go towards making everyone's lives better, not just their own. The whole of Osteen's talk was about giving it to God so he can trickle it back down on you. Why wait for God? Why do you need to call that lucky parking space a message that you should respect and help your fellow man? Also, exalting that space, or working hands, or meager job etc. as the result of your praise, does not teach you how to get out of your debt or find a date. Yet another way to say how religion is one of, if not the most, destructive institution we've managed to concoct. I find myself just thinking “wow” that right after the sermon with everyone in their Sunday's best, the commercial about all the poor African families comes on. Some Christian group has managed to get Mewquay his first sippy cup and pair of shoes. All I can think about is Dubai where a recently learned a new fountain will be put in, greater and grander than the one in Vegas. I can't help but that think if the Christian groups really wanted to help, I mean give their all, for Jesus, they'd learn how to make the money of the billionaires building fountains and use it make suburbs for Africans. O wait, is religion already an industry worth billions of dollars, tax exempt dollars no less? One doesn't have to think that hard to realize where their real focus is.

MikeAnthony BluAssasin Pirtle wroteat 8:46am on July 27th, 2008
dude... u're just sooooo confused righ now
Report - Delete



Byron R. Turner II (McKendree) wroteat 9:47am on July 27th, 2008
I'm pretty sure he's alot more clear minded than anyone who believes in the sky-daddy or god (I didn't capatilze it on purpose) as some whould like to cal it. You bring up a great point, we all know religion is a billion dollar tax free corporation. In my exploration of relgious houses of worship I've seen more than one church gross over a million and a half alone, yet they still ask for more. Maybe they should stop filling the pockets or better yet stop brainwashing people into thinking you have to believe in the almighty sky-daddy ( I love that term) to be a good, giving person. Instead of building another mega church that can seat up to 50,000 people in the US, how about they take that money and build house, supply water, or simply food to destitude Africans. But if they did that then they'd have 50,000 less people that were brain washed and that much money out of their pockets.
Report - Delete



David M.L. Jaffe wroteat 12:19pm on July 27th, 2008
Religion becoming an industry. Hmm..

Now, if you're talking about businesses using religion as a way to get those tax exemptions through donations, while using it for advertisement and marketing, then I completely agree. In Iowa, I helped Winter and her mom's church fix up this recently widowed lady's (shes like 27, three kids) mobile home. They completely redid the place. Furnature, bathroom, kitchen, appliances, carpet, beds, everything. All donated, all tax exempt. Now don't get me wrong, I think it was awesome the church and those businesses could do it for her, but I agree with you, the donation aspect of religion is getting a bit "business-like", not that it's a bad thing. They used money and donations to actually HELP someone.

Using money to create more worthless fountains, or mega church, as Mr. Turner said, is completely unnecessary, and to me, wrong in terms of religion. I like how he said churches can gross 1 million+, and still ask for more. It's true, and is indeed showing religion turning into an industry.

Religion itself becoming an industry? No. How we're using religion? Damn right it is.
Report - Delete



David M.L. Jaffe wroteat 12:21pm on July 27th, 2008
I like your first paragraph as well. Using religion to distract you from your problems is just stupid, and one of the reasons I don't really like religion. If traffic sucks and you're late for work, don't ignore it and ask God to make traffic speed up, or tell you how awesome your life is. Fucking do something about it. Take a new route. Leave earlier. Be productive. /end rant.
Report - Delete



Nick P. wroteat 9:37pm on July 27th, 2008
Mr. Pirtle if you'd like to explain to me how I'm so confused I'm eager to hear it.
Delete



Cara Zimmerman (Chicago, IL) wroteat 11:49pm on July 27th, 2008
Hey, um, just giving my input as a "religious" person. I realize that I'm only 19 and I don't have a steady income, but no, I do not give any money to my church. I mean, yeah we take an offering every week, but there is never any pressure or awkwardness if you don't give money. And the fact that my church is so freaking huge and keeps adding on new things to it actually has bothered me before, especially when there's people in need of money. You're right, we should be using the money on people who actually need it.