Monday, March 13, 2023

[1029] What If

I haven’t felt the need to write. I’m not entirely sure what’s prompting me to try now. I opened this word document in the middle of the day. It’s 1:08 AM now after I’ve returned from seeing William Shatner and a screening of The Wrath of Khan. There are certainly a few things happening in my life worth discussing. Time continues to race, and where precisely I’m at in space is ever imprecise.
No matter how much time passes, my brother will remind me just how unwise he is. I don’t see him very often, so when he manages to not be an out-and-out douche, I start to trick myself into thinking maybe he’s gotten a little older and measured about things. I need to cut that out. If I’m 34, he just turned 32. He’s got his good job, wife, and series of hobbies. He certainly believes he has “figured some things out” and can “tell it like it is.” It’s cringey and dispiriting to watch too closely.

My persistently reasonable, mellow, steadfastly supportive father has been peeved for days over how my brother spoke to him recently. My brother has created a catastrophized scenario regarding my dad’s health and eyesight. Like most who might profess to be acting out of “just how much they care,” he got elevated and insistent that my dad rectify the problem with his eye, on my brother’s terms, as quickly as possible, and through a series of condescending comments and know-it-all-isms effectively chased my dad away from having dinner with him and his wife on his birthday.

I believe my brother cares, but he is an absolute dipshit. I feel like I got a preview into the kind of social-worker/counselor mode I’m going to have to go into as he overplays his perception of our dad as he gets older or does little to cope and deal with his fears and ignorance. That inability to cope will manifest as more insistence and judgement regarding the step-kids, my step-mom, and invariably me which I’m certain he launched into a self-satisfied series of empty truisms about me after our last phone conversation.

When a situation like this arises, it’s fascinating to me how quickly people get into their camps. The shared goal of something akin to “love and take care of each other” becomes a series of memories used to rehash arguments or prove weak points. Was the swerve because of bad eye-sight, or being tired, or because someone was walking where they shouldn’t? Doesn’t matter, once you adopt a story that your dad is basically blind and ambivalent about whether he hurts himself or others while driving, you’ll say fucking anything with your head held high and hands on your hips. I’m not exactly looking forward to the prospect of putting my brother in his place again, but if anyone’s going to do it…

My brother has the wrong kind of “matter-of-factism” nature. He can’t see the forest for the trees as he espouses the virtue of chop chop chopping and building his own little house and world that *would never* morally or practically be contributing to catastrophic deforestation. This is what people do once they give themselves over to a fundamentally selfish and self-righteous feeling. You can stay mad forever. You can call indefinite abuse the height of love. You can deftly dance around what action and practice you must engage in to be accountable to your emotions. I feel like I’m navigating this constantly, and not just because it’s my job.

Hussain is high anxiety as well. He messaged me tonight saying he wanted the contact information of the Putnam County probation department so that he could tell them to send us more clients. I met with them on Friday, got one of their people signed up and paid for, sent that person to him, and experienced the first glance at what I hope is not a problem I will have to speak to very often. He didn’t reach out to the client immediately. He waited until his priority, picking up a new old car to fix up, was hooked to my truck and he was driving back from Indianapolis. The client, because it’s the weekend, was with her family and couldn’t really talk, and now what was easy-going gung-ho reliable communication is rubbing against his desire to be too busy and chaotically organized. He begs to be overwhelmed.

It's good news that we got a client. I need 10 more, personally, consistently, and then I’m making as much as I do in my current role. I have zero qualms about Hussain as a counselor or his people skills. I have watched him get way behind on paperwork in every role we’ve worked together. I don’t want him begging referral sources, threatening rapport, or courting a chaos of paperwork that I might have to filter through our, also seemingly fairly-often-enough unreliable therapist. I’m going to see if a guided shroom trip will mellow him out.

It was a couple weeks ago I assured Hussain and Byron that I could do what needed to be done to kickstart this whole counseling thing. I get very enthusiastic and energetic when I’m drinking, so when I say 5 days, it might be 2 weeks, but the spirit is there. Practically, it’s meant spending nearly $1000 to get the website set up, pay system in place, video conferencing situated, etc. Could or should I have spent the $1000 before then? It’s a dumb question. I’m taking things day by day. I’m trying not to invite the default overwhelmed state that happens when you plug into the various chaos universes of our clientele. I spent way more than $1000 on concerts and comedy shows over the same period of time, and twice that on a new computer waiting for me to put it together.

At some level, the isolating perspective of what I’ll deem as a certain kind of “wisdom” is antagonizing me. I see the problems very far in advance. It doesn’t paralyze me, but the invitation to be savvy, cold, bold, or otherwise highly manipulative I don’t like. I don’t want to massage my business partner or my family. I want them to see the same shit I do and just give me a day off to worry about anything else. My job is less to counsel clients than it is the people I expect to work with who will then counsel clients. That’s what a manager does, to be sure, but also, it builds an extra barrier. There’s a faint part of me that would “just” like to get along or be friends or be family, but it feels naïve and potentially deadly.

When the flood happens, I want the foundation in place. Whether it’s the flood of my brother’s stupid emotions, flood of clients, or flood of confusion about potential futures insisted upon by the people I work with. What do those fundamentals consist of? Are we communicating respectfully? Are we fairly exercising balance with our time? Are the bills getting paid? Are there reasonable expectations for what to do next and how? So much of this I didn’t have to say out loud when it was the coffee shop because I was just in charge of it all. I guess in a major way I still am with the counseling business, but Hussain is partner, at least officially on paper.

I plan to reach out to other probation departments. I’m going to make my rounds at places where addicts meet. I told them I knew what to do next, and in 3 weeks I made us $150 and impressed a room full of probation officers. My “matter-of-fact” sensibility is bolstered by work and numbers. I know what we have to do next. I know how to make people confident in our ability. I need him, and anyone I bring on board, to back that up with how I engage people and organize time. Exactly like me? Of course not. But if I send you someone to get scheduled, in service to our joint operation and rapport building with different locations, you make the fucking call NOW, not tomorrow. I don’t want to have to build my own calendar of people filling in my ever-fleeting free time on top of doing all the management stuff and mood-tending while still doing my regular day job. Again, I have every reason to believe in someone’s person-to-person or counseling capacity, but they’re often miserable at the crucial details related to time-management.

I think about that when it comes to getting to all of these shows. I’m almost never late to anything. If I am, it’s usually some other obligation like work and someone’s having a too-coincidental meltdown. I’ve been irritatingly surprised at the $35 parking fee I refused to pay for one concert and spent time driving around a neighborhood, missing the opener. Any other time I’m late it’s because I’m waiting on someone else. I might be late to work a handful of times in a year if I oversleep or something. I’m hyper-conscious of how I’m using my time, and constantly estimating different scenarios to provide buffers or in thinking about how to occupy all of the time in between. I legitimately try to pay attention and be mindful in as persistent a manner as I can.

I want right now to not suck and make sense. If there’s something I can control, like calling and coordinating with you, I feel obligated to do it. Why wait? So I can have one more thing to think about? So I can forget? I’m not saying you’re always perfectly situated or in the mood to do any and every thing you “should” in this precise moment, but if you respect what it takes to maintain a kind of balance and perspective regarding your work, you don’t wait for the anxiety to dictate how you go about your obligations. I made us serious money. Take what I’m telling you about how to protect and secure it more seriously.

That just makes me think about the house flipping. Fuck does that still cut deep and the whole bait-n-switch fuckery feel like a reminder to stay cold and calculating. I tried so fucking hard to work fast, believe, demonstrate, and get a little engine of making enough doing something fun and potentially hugely profitable work. The time pissed away. The investment squandered. The example wholly unrecognized. For as much as people go on about how little they trust others, I can’t think of anything bigger in recent memory that threatened my capacity to trust. What is it all for if you can pour your blood, sweat, and tears into something only to be told the largest benefactors are actually the real victims and I should be lucky to get what I did?

I work. I work really fucking hard. Whether I’m breaking my back sweating to death or wear the weathered resolve of navigating dozens of your problems every week, I’m feeling myself demand more from the systems I don’t feel the right kind of support from. What do I need from them? Take 5% of the fucking time I do trying to keep my shit together to remind yourself what matters, what you can or can’t do, and what’s worth valuing in a dynamic. You think anyone’s going to work as hard for what I want as I did on the house? You think Hussain won’t throw himself off an anxiety cliff if I don’t constantly redirect? You think my family with its incredibly shit track record of emotional accountability and honest discussion is going to just resolve itself?

No, my probably-autistic ass has to cut through the noise and keep the peace and wax poetic in blogs because…I want more? I can check the impulse to expect the wrong things from the forces that will antagonize and test me indefinitely?

William Shatner ends his performance recalling his thoughts upon going into space. He reiterates that we’re specks and going to die and asks several times, “What are we going to do?” to alleviate ourselves of the consequences of climate change. We? We’re not going to do anything. It’s going to have to be assholes like me that have to do it. My task isn’t necessarily climate change at this resolution, but his point is much broader. You’re either stirring up and tending to the familiar drama of your irascible ego and insecurities, or you’re focused on building a broader conception of yourself and your place in the world. Who’s team are you on? Each one I try to join usually only has room for one person who doesn’t even know what fucking game they’re playing.

No comments:

Post a Comment