Sunday, July 17, 2022

[987] 2 For The Price of F Uh? N

 

My mind’s still buzzing, so let’s see what’s on it.

Tonight’s was a good show. It was only a good show. The opener picked out a 9-year-old from the crowd and said something like, “You can be anything you want to be, don’t let anyone tell you otherwise” before getting the crowd to collectively say, “Happy birthday.” She said, “This one goes out to those who only follow their own rules. You’re perfect just as you are, don’t ever change for anything.” Go figure, I just looked her up thinking she was young, but she’s actually performing under an alias, because I recall enjoying Juliet Simms. She’s a considerably better musician than she is thought leader.

 I hear pretty often at shows how much, “We’re all in this together.” Are we? You have very deliberately and purposefully put all talented women on your tour, and none of you even mentioned voting, fighting, or doing anything beyond singing the words to your songs. What are we in together, precisely? The collective delusion that music actually saves us or guitars kill fascists?

It’s getting a little exhausting, and I have many more shows left this year. Clearly, we’ve chilled in our daring self-expression and freedom to speak to how fucked things are. Either we’re collectively hopeless, or we consider it pointless and are just trying to get a few headbangs in before the wandering Proud Police come to actually bang our heads. I don’t respect people with platforms more protective of their brand than the environment that allows them to cultivate one, at least, for a little while longer.

I’ve felt kind of inspired. Making the few phone calls to doctor’s offices made my overwhelming fatalism feel practical and accessible again. I’m discovering how I want to massage my pitch. I’m filling in blanks on a spreadsheet. It’s a nice little to-do while I’m waiting around for my only meeting of the day, and if I get even a handful of yeses or decent conversations, I might start pocking my days with a few more $20s.

A bunch of my new stuff arrived. Books, games, tools, and a big cot because I’m sick of waking up with back pain. I feel poised this weekend to work more outside provided the weather doesn’t take a turn. I got a vest that lets you attach icepacks to it. I have, probably about $1000 more to spend before I have everything to complete the wood shop and most of the fence. That would still only put me working until November to get out of debt.

-------------------------------A couple days later----------------------------------------------

Band of Horses is playing in front of me. I've sat in an exploitively cost prohibitive seat that was not the one I paid for, but is definitely one of a set that I've been idling in a shopping cart, refreshing now and then, for the last two and a half hours... just in case. I'm alone. It's my 29th concert or comedy show this year. Band of Horses just ended on the one song of theirs I sorta knew and do like.

Is this fun? Have any/all these shows been "worth it?"

I ask the questions not because my motivations are unclear, but because of some portions of conversation I had with a friend last night. She conveyed that going to so many shows back-to-back would be overwhelming or exhausting and that she only really likes shows where she knows all of the band's music. I feel where she's coming from. 2 years ago when I bought expensive VIP tickets to Riot Fest it was because My Chemical Romance had gotten back together and were headlining. I expected that to be "my concert" or "my gift to myself" for the year.

Things changed. Everything locked down. People you didn't think were gonna die, did. All of a sudden, if you have a chance to capture and experience, "now" became more real. So, sales started up, and I started buying and planning. The first few concerts this year it was required-enough to have a mask ready. Industries tied to music that came close to the brink started to roar back to life.

There's a few things at play for how and why I do things. I like to familiarize myself with "everything." I like to collect things, so even if real tickets are a thing of the past, printouts can go in my little book. I've been pushing myself to be more open to things that I would have reflexively ignored or dismissed like every band playing that I didn't come to see. I like getting to know the areas the concerts take place and having a decent plan for getting around. I like not sitting in my house all day. I like having easy "interesting" clout for lazy conversations with people who don't do anything. I bring books to read between sets and for before the show starts.

Today, by chance, I have a headache as an area worked on during my rolfing appointment is being disagreeable. I accidentally drained my truck battery before the show idling in the parking lot trying not to sweat to death. I live no less than an hour away from every show, and today's is the second farthest venue. I stay mildly tense I'll have to vacate my seat until about the middle of the headliner's slot. Who's paying $568 to see half a show that isn't sold out?

I won't remember the headache until I read this back. There are hundreds of cars that might jump me, if my little jumper doesn't again, if it's needed at all as it was back and running before I left to come inside. "Fun" doesn't really apply to the "life" things that happen while you're trying. Living in a state of existence that has to question the reliability of your shit isn't fun by default.

Hanging out with my friend was fun. She’s funny and we can talk pretty much indefinitely. The funny David Cross video that The Black Keys played before they came out was suggestive of what I gather to be their brand of fun. I have fun with the idea of tearing down institutions that have failed. Almost every show I’ve been to at The Comedy Attic has been fun. Hanging out with my dad is fun. I’m fun.

To me, fun springs from the spontaneity of the interactions between conscious beings. All of the concerts have been “good,” and a few “more fun” or “funny” because of the personalities of the performers. Another friend of mine was at Earth, Wind, and Fire and we got to dance together after I’d had a few beers. I don’t normally drink when I go to shows. You combine day-drinking, dancing, and one of the most energetic shows that brought everyone to the dance floor? Yeah, quite fun.

I have a tendency to turn everything into a kind of grind. I can’t just play a video game. I have to buy every iteration of that game and set myself up for weeks of dedicated playing so I can really appreciate the differences or story. I can’t just listen to music. I have to download everything from every artist I’ve remotely come into contact with, keep them all on shuffled rotation, and go out of my way to buy new equipment to house my entire library. It’s not enough to vibe with and repeat my favorites. What if my next favorite song is on tomorrow’s playlist? Even building things. I stop for long periods of time when I suck the fun out of it, and the playpen nature of my aim, and it turns into a “project” that takes too much planning or energy or sacrifice like battling the elements when I’m not in the mood.

Is anything I’m ever doing that fun?

It wasn’t that long ago we were at a roller coaster park. Seeing new coasters is fun. Drops are fun. The speed is fun. Going around a section and losing your phone isn’t fun. The coaster locking its harness down too tight and pinching your balls isn’t fun either. Getting knocked around violently on a wooden coaster until you get a headache sucks. Riding them back-to-back until you’ve memorized every turn and start to get sick slowly chips away at the fun aspects. Is a roller coaster fun?

I think I’m just approaching the realization that it’s a poorly conceived question that we habitually utilize in attempting to understand whether to do something. We ask kids if they have fun, they pretty clearly say yes or no. We don’t evolve our capacity for fun linguistically, so a night out when you’re tired might get a trite, “This was fun!” under a picture, whether or not you recall nursing a beer for hours, barely talking, and wishing you were in bed.

There’s fun, for open-minded types, in novelty, but as you get older, how much really feels that
 new? Eventually, if you’re paying attention, you’ll discover that even the process of learning something new or seeing something for the first time gets familiar. When I go to learn a new song, it’s fumbling in the dark, slowly recognizing the pattern or getting my fingers in order, anticipating the next lines that I couldn’t get the first few passes, then repeat repeat repeat until I’m barely thinking about what I’m playing or singing at all. The “fun” has to evolve, because while I’m certainly always learning, the motivation to start playing an instrument is fundamentally different than the one to continue doing so. I know how to play, but do I want to write songs? Do I want to perform? Do I want to practice and study in a dedicated way until theory matches instinctive physical capacity? I do, but that gets expensive in attention resources if nothing else.

During the concert, I got a call about the continuing-to-rage dumpster fire that is DCS. More dedicated and good people have fled. They’re trying to fuck with my friend’s years-long effort to stabilize the kid. It may be time to attack. Now, we’re talking real fun. It illuminates the nature of that evolved “fun” concept. It builds in work, consequences, and accountability. Is it more or less fun than going to concerts? It’s simply a prospect that I might get more or less out of depending on how I approach it and what I notice as it unfolds. So goes everything on the roller-coaster.

No comments:

Post a Comment