Monday, May 2, 2022

[964] Not Long Now

 

There’s more on my mind about switching jobs. I guess you can call it an improvement that I’m not in physical pain nor willing to have the same argument for months before I leave the prison.­ I don’t know if it’s a touch sadder that I’m leaving a population in which they truly do need all the help they can get, or if that’s more of an annoying detail that, if I had things my way, I’d still be able to work with in a proactive and consistent way I try to afford to everyone. I’m thankful I have the memory of all the people who seemed dismayed I was leaving the methadone clinic who never had the inclination to reach out. I’m not saying anything you don’t already know.

People are often attracted to my “spirit” for lack of a better word. They aren’t “convinced” of things by my words or logic. It’s always “the way” I say something, or my mannerisms, or tone of voice or body language. I’m confident, and people feel it. I’m smart and people pretend to immediately understand everything I say. I work hard and can quickly bring to mind how my values translate into my concept of living a meaningful life. ­This is what I think about when I’m offered so many opinions, forlorn or otherwise about my decisions regarding employment or worthwhile pursuits of time.

No matter what job I get, the fundamental truth is that I don’t want a job. This isn’t lost on me. If I’m going to have a job, it at least needs to maintain a kind of sense that doesn’t leave me tense and angry for, albeit predictable, bad values-destroying reasons. There’s plenty of growing pains and a messiness to many work environments. I’ve never had a problem with that as such. I can’t abide gross negligent ignorance of the mess. The consequences are tucked in every wasted minute a coworker needs to decompress and every mockery of your time spent on something useless and wasteful.

It seems ridiculous when I think about it, but there was more coherence in working for Showplace than anywhere I’ve worked since. You could count on about when you were going to leave. You knew what your role was. You knew the theater had to be clean, the popper not greasy, and the tickets torn. Plenty of people sucked at their job, but the job was clear. I advanced through to become management. It felt like a team. There was a palpable difference when our head manager was molesty dickhead and many people quit. Had I the perspective about jobs that I do now, I might have at the time as well.

It seems like a thing that shouldn’t be so regularly violated. Where’s the leadership? It took how many years to find people on a genuine Left political axis that weren’t Bernie Sanders? How, in social work, are there so few fucking people with the grasp of what it means to be human and what we need to thrive? I can’t really wrap my head around it. When I relayed my complaints to my buddy’s mom, she said, “It’s the same thing at the post office,” where her leadership sucks, and the people on the ground who do well or know the work get fucked by shitty decisions and a total lack of awareness or care.

I don’t mind taking direction or orders. I think a lot of my complaints in work environments suggest that I have some broad problem with authority or anyone else’s opinion. That’s really missing what I’m speaking to if it’s where you’re coming from. Juggling chaos is not the same thing as steering a ship through the storm of life or business decisions. And you have to think, in a social work context, you’re dealing with people who at some level are psychologically situated to give as much of themselves as they can. Workers bleed themselves dry constantly.

I don’t feel good about leaving. I’m not looking forward to readjusting to a new work environment and work personalities. I’m upset that I have to do so at all. Why can’t I just find a decent job that pays me what I’m worth and cares to put people in charge who are capable? What kind of insane unfair ask is that? Do I rail against capitalism? The irrational and insane human spirit? What I’m not going to do is pretend it’s “mature” or acceptable to merely adopt stupid fucking catchphrases of complacency and excuses because everyone’s too dainty and a bitch to hear how they’re fucking up.

If I don’t get the counseling business going, I need to heavily consider just getting into a trade. There’s a kind of liberation in moving shit around or building shit. It doesn’t talk back. Now, I’m not so naïve as to think there aren’t idiots and shitty bosses and whatever else, but perhaps I could make something more of myself on my own when my preoccupation becomes about things instead of people. I know it’s always, somehow, about people, but still, maybe I can just fix your toilet and move on with my day.

No comments:

Post a Comment