Friday, July 15, 2011

[233] I Get By With A Little Help From My Friends

I wish the world was smart enough to realize that it doesn’t need to freak out. It almost always doesn’t need to stress or fight, or even be confused. I want to be a part of a new social game. I want people to rely on each other because they know how and what to be relied upon. I don’t want leeches. I want investors. I want lessons to be taught in the kind of people you can trust and ones you can’t. I want people to be honest with themselves about what they are capable of and what they aren’t.

Say the economy tanks again. Say people are doing here what has been done throughout history. They buy up all the Walmart resources; they buy up guns and try to stockpile gold or some other form of local currency. If America wants to continue to be an example and a standard, I think the best they thing they can do is not freak the fuck out. When you think you can’t pay for something or can’t support someone, start with refraining from freaking the fuck out. There is no nobility in dying alone, and there is even less in ensuring the death of those around you because of your petty or naïve sense of selfishness.

I really don’t think, even now, people understand the utility of cooperation. I think the idea of things being “fair” is naïve. When you cooperate, whether it is for one or the group, you’re espousing an ideal that goes beyond a naïve conception of fairness. After all, how many times can you hear the adage that life isn’t fair? How much less can you care about the starving kids in Africa before you forgo “fair” as a mantra around which to construct the meager morality of your life?

I think people need to resolve themselves with the idea that they are going to get squarely fucked. Not just inconvenienced or provided with some opportunity to grow and learn, but squarely and supremely fucked. Too often, you won’t have the money, the cure, the answers, the resources, or maybe even the will to endure some level of bullshit. This is where I’d like to come in. This is where I’d like to encourage like-minded individuals to join me.

I’d like to die being more of an enabling resource than a hindrance. Helping people doesn’t mean you have to open yourself up to abuse or that the people who need the help are looking to abuse. It isn’t rocket science to figure out when the help needs to stop or start. Here’s the secret, try not being a fucking idiot.  

It feels good to help people, and it feels good to be able to trust that someone is there to help. Things really don’t need to come with strings attached. I start beaming smiling at the idea of just helping or contributing for the sake of helping or contributing. Making someone smile or relieved because that is an end in and of itself. I find life too…empty, lonely, and depressing, if I don’t try for these ideals.

My idea is to make a specific goal of making life simple. If you have a question, ask someone. If you have a problem, make sure you line up the kinds of people that can actually help you with it. If all you have to invest is yourself, then do it and use that to trade or try to equate what you wish to get from someone else. Don’t feel alone, it’s unnecessary and rarely helpful.

I’ll keep making the appeal. If you make your problems known, I want to see if there’s anything I can do to help. Maybe when everyone realizes there are simple answers, we can start to understand problems in a different way. Maybe when we daily actualize the capacity of people, we can stop superficially hoping and instead objectively justify where our reasons for believing in something lie.