Sunday, March 30, 2014

[372] Bang On The Drum All Day (Don't Wanna Work)

I can't tell if my headache is from too much on my mind or from eye strain, so if you see this, it means I didn't write several pages only to immediately delete it.

I keep thinking about the nature and utility of work. As the articles I've recently been reading keep reminding me, work has meant a great many things to many people depending on how it was marketed. The 8 hour work day was considered a step up. As early as the 10's to 20's one economist notes a shirt that campaigned for the 4 hour work day. Work is said to create "value" in that it contributes to the motor of society. It allows you to buy things and keep up with the Jones's. It allows you to provide for your family.

As the same piece pointed out, work is also about caring for people. Nurturing children or taking care of the sick aren't necessarily backbreaking, but arguably, no less mentally intense or laborious. We consider academic work pivotal to protecting and growing our databases of knowledge and to further technology. We respect artists and musicians who perform at levels so high if they were making mistakes the entire time, they'd be lucky to be in the same room with someone who could point it out.

But work is changing. Gone are the industrial jobs thanks to globalization. If you can get a car made by a machine, or modern day slave, you're not going to pay union worker. This article I read about lawyers losing out to new technology that can sort through and refer legal precedent in seconds as opposed to taking weeks with a team of associates. Soon our phones will be predicting when we're at risk for diabetes or blood diseases. While it will be a "slow" transition, so to speak, in the midst of an outcry about "jobs jobs jobs, we need to create more jobs!" It seems we don't really have a plan for what those jobs may look like, if they're worthwhile, or whether people will be capable of doing them.

What happens when McDonald's goes fully automated? There's one guy in charge to maybe restock the buns assuming there isn't some great technical leap that allows delivery trucks to automatically unload and stock. What happens when big box stores realize that aisles and aisles of clothes no one is wearing aren't worth the price of rent and the number of "service jobs" starts to plummet?

I'm more concerned with what we think of ourselves. I'm of the view that certain things should be considered "rights." Things like eating, having a place to stay, an education, or maybe the right to a fucking planet... etc. This especially because we have an overabundance that's poorly allocated. What happens when you don't need to work to eat? What happens when you can choose to interface with any subject, or perhaps physically plug into a computer with nano brain bots? Given how many people hate their jobs, I don't think it will be all that bad of a thing. It's the transition that's a problem. It's the poorly understood road to getting there that will make the future bleak regardless of what we've made available.

I think about this in the context of what I'm doing with my time. I don't give two shits about coffee, but rich people buy it. I've worked hard. I've played by the rules. I maintain my propensity to read things until I go cross-eyed despite my many attempts to shut off from the world. I'm one of the few "entitled" millennials who really does think he's done enough and should be seeing some form of dividends paying out for his effort. This in no way is an attempt to diminish the help I've had or to try and mock up my effort or work against someone else's. My dad's an iron worker after all. I haven't nearly died to take care of anyone. But, he didn't want me or my brother to have to be iron workers.

For as long-term as a lot of the problems we face as a country or, as I tend to go with, species, I think none more lasting than the impact of how we discuss and understand our circumstances. I've done such a good job with my language I get away with acting in seemingly sheer contradiction, at least for a time, with less angst ridden emotional scenes than I may let on. Also, I'm not even positive how much of it is "stuck" as a conversation amongst the masses while the general business as usual remains just that. I can be sure, it'll be a dumb conversation regardless, where I'll play the cynic messing with everyone's good vibes.

It's just that, I find myself sounding defeated about everything I do. "Was dinner fun?" Eh, we ate. "How was the pool?" The water was wet, cold, and we got kicked out of the first warmer wet bowl of water. "How's the van?" Paid for. The work I could do, can do, or contribute towards kind of means nothing outside of a lofty dream way down the line. And circumstances that I fully appreciate are well-beyond my control could dictate whether or not I'm ever able to even get realistically started on that goal. It's almost too sobering. For all my enthusiasm, effort, budgeting, and lack of sleep, I still feel the long dick of Simon Property Management and that lying bitch Terry fucking my will to keep trying. It's not even that it's hard, it's that it's stupid, petty, and you feel like you're shitting on yourself daily by playing along.

From my profile, way back when I read The Fountainhead:

"If I found a job, a project, an idea or a person I wanted---I'd have to depend on the whole world. Everything has strings leading to everything else. We're all so tied together. We're all in a net, the net is waiting, and we're pushed into it by one single desire. You want a thing and it's precious to you. Do you know who is standing ready to tear it out of your hands? You can't know, it may be so involved and so far away, but someone is ready, and you're afraid of them all. And you cringe and you crawl and you beg and you accept them---just so they'll let you keep it. And look at whom you come to accept."

The "adult" professional world certainly doesn't give a shit about you. Whether you learn that by trying to pay back debt with your degree in hand and minimum wage job, or in your future and health being squandered. What is the work for? What is the struggle about? You know you're not creating value. There's nothing valuable by rushing people's hot drinks to their desk. Not with the backdrop of what's going on at least. If the 1% employs us all to dust their furniture, will we be happier? Will it feel like we're existing for any sort of point or helping anything?

This is part of the reason the haunting silence is so hard to deal with. I don't want you to get unduly excited about something stupid because it's the only thing you've "really" done in months. I don't want you to have a positive outlook about something that's...even...at best. Every time it happens it just reinforces that status quo. It gives the green light for someone next to you to accept their circumstances or meekly justify their existence. Arguably, I don't want you to get as bad as me, but I digress... It's just sad that we can collectively get behind wiping out other nations, but not empowering people to be caregivers of each other.

It's just weird to think that people envy the idea of living at the beach and maybe being stoned all day. I've been on a proverbial beach for a really long time, and maybe I just fuck it up by reading all the time, but it really just leaves you with too much time to reflect. My "work" reduced to finding distractions until people get off work or the weekend hits. But who's going to blame me? I'm going to limp into getting the van going, because, even with everything paid for, nothing is ever fully paid for. (ooo cryptic) All the while dipping into money that could reliably pay my bills for the next 7 months. If you had your rent paid for the next 7 months, where are you spending that money so that's no longer true? For me, it's paying kids to advertise.

I guess I'm as decompressed as I'm going to get right now. What a shitty ending lol.